Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While putting things back together from the water pump/thermostat R&R I noticed a connector between the block and firewall that has quite a bit of oil on it. The car has 31,000 miles, I'm the original owner, and it's kept quite clean- the rest of the engine bay looks nothing like this.

Anyone here have an idea of what the source might be? I got a bit concerned when I saw someone had to rip their entire harness out and replace the ECM because oil from a leaking valve cover had made its way through the loom to the ECM.

Input appreciated.

·
Registered
08 Sky Redline, 5M
192 Posts
Isn't that about par for the course on these cars? I've seen a couple with some film and dirt.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Very common. The oil cooler on the back of the engine in front of the driver uses o-rings. And they crack from the heat and almost every car I know of has this issue. Gotta pull the oil cooler and replace them.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2,768 Posts
is that drivers side or passenger side?

It looks like drivers side and it looks to be the intake cam angle sensor. If it is what I think it is the sensor is higher then the oil cooler and also the oil filter , so it's not going to be oil from those. It is going to be from either the valve cover gasket or the intake cam angle sensor. could also be the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) gasket.

The oil could get blown upwards from the oil cooler or from the oil filter cover and would cause a mess similiar to what you are seeing. In your photo the wiring harness right next to the oil soaked intake cam angle sensor doesn't have a single drop of oil on it. so this rules out oil being blow upwards by wind.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Interesting. My 2006 does not have an oil cooler. As I understand it, the oil cooler was only mounted to the early production models, but removed by the time mine was made. If the OP has no oil cooler, I think the next candidate would be an improperly seated oil cap, or one with a bad seal. Not fully inserting the dipstick could cause oil spray in this area, too, but it's kind of far from that connector.
BTW, I just looked at mine, and it is clean. The cable also is not bent so much at that one, and the connector mount appears different. Is this on the back of the head on the driver's side and under the oil fill cap? Perhaps he does have the oil cooler, which made for a different mount.

·
Premium Member
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP mean
140 Posts
It is going to be from either the valve cover gasket or the intake cam angle sensor. could also be the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) gasket.
+1 I agree. Carefully inspect the valve cover gasket ....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone on this thread replaced the valve cover gasket? It's an easy project on our Mark 1 Sprites, but so is the water pump :)

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
It is super easy to do. you have to take the coils off and pull the bolts around the outside edge. You may have to get a screwdriver between the head and the valve cover and give it a twist to break the seal. other then that there really isn't anything special to it. Just make sure to put a light coat of oil or Vaseline on the new gasket before you put he valve cover back on..

From that picture I am leaning in the direction of needing to replace the o-ring on the intake cam angle sensor. The reason why is directly above the clip you can see a bolt and some metal and there is no oil on either of those. right above that piece of metal is where the valve cover is and in order to get oil on the clip if it came from the valve cover you would see some oil on those parts not just the clip.

Get a flashlight and a mirror back there and look. What I am seeing is not really a leak. It is more like seepage. There is an o-ring on the cam angle sensor and that o-ring has probably hardened and the smallest amount of oil has managed to make it past. You can see how the cm angle senesor is installed and the reason why I think it's the o-ring. It's easy to take out and bring down to the auto parts store to get a new o-ring put on the thing. Make sure you put some oil or Vaseline on the o-ring before putting the sensor back in. The o-ring is probably $0.50 maybe 2.00 if it is in retail packaging. I would go to a NAPA as they are going to have a better selection and you have a better chance of locating the correct one.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
It could also be from someone missing the hole when adding oil to the engine. You would typically see oil on more then just that clip. So get that mirror and flashlight and look around. If you are married or have a female side kick go and shanghai one of her compact makeup mirrors.

·
Premium Member
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP mean
140 Posts
PRELIMINARY RESULTS: Before you change anything - again look closely)

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
nothing worse then throwing money at a problem and hoping it fixes it and it ends up not being the solution. Locate the cause then repair

1 - 12 of 12 Posts