Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has purchased an oil filter relocation adapter and where did you mount it ? One of my winter projects is to move my power steering reservoir to the drivers side of the engine compartment and replace the hoses with braided steel lines , for me it's way too busy near the turbo.Before anyone asks I've called and emailed DDM a few times with no response my interest was in the adapter and a kit that they were supposed to have ready and sell by the nationals but as of the other day the only thing I see is the adapter .I've found another vendor who makes one for ecotec engines and sells the braided lines and oil filter mounting bracket so this is the way I think I'll go once I get my power steering relocation mocked up .

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have been thinking that as the years go by that the GenIII Ecotec engine will become the engine swap upgrade. The GenIIIs have no hydraulic power steering so I've been thinking a remote mounted steel Saganaw P/S pump (self contained reservoir) driven by an electric motor (like the Moroso electric motor drive kit for water pumps). I wonder if giving Flaming River a Solstice rack to convert to manual steering is doable?

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has purchased an oil filter relocation adapter and where did you mount it ? One of my winter projects is to move my power steering reservoir to the drivers side of the engine compartment and replace the hoses with braided steel lines , for me it's way too busy near the turbo.Before anyone asks I've called and emailed DDM a few times with no response my interest was in the adapter and a kit that they were supposed to have ready and sell by the nationals but as of the other day the only thing I see is the adapter .I've found another vendor who makes one for ecotec engines and sells the braided lines and oil filter mounting bracket so this is the way I think I'll go once I get my power steering relocation mocked up .
This project did get put on the back burner while we needed to clear out some other items. The pictures below show what we have being prototyped now and consists of a Solstice/Sky specific bracket to mount the new filter over the drivers side shock area. After test fitting, that is the only area we have found that will work for the 2.4L and the 2.0L and allow us to run the lines over to the adapter also and give us capability to run down to the oil cooler we are mounting down low. The prototypes will be here in a couple weeks and we will test fit and run them again to verify fitment and function, if that is all good, production pieces will be ordered and they will be ready in February.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Dave I have been looking foward to this modification so with this information I'll just wait till yours is out one thing I'd like to know will you be offering the parts as a complete kit complete with braided steel lines and what type of filter will I need ie.small block chevy ?

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
I've been interested in this kit too. One question though, am I seeing something wrong or does the filter screw down onto the block that holds the lines going back to the adapter/cooler? If that's the case, isn't that going to create a real mess when you change the filter?

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
I've been interested in this kit too. One question though, am I seeing something wrong or does the filter screw down onto the block that holds the lines going back to the adapter/cooler? If that's the case, isn't that going to create a real mess when you change the filter?
The filter does screw down onto the adapter we designed. We have been running setups like this on Miata's for years, once the engine is shut off, the oil in the center of the filter will drain back down, the outer part of the filter on most common oil filters has a anti drain back which prevents that oil from coming back out and lastly we actually designed a little lip on the adapter to catch any oil drips that do come out. We thought of that ;)

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Thanks for the reply Dave I have been looking foward to this modification so with this information I'll just wait till yours is out one thing I'd like to know will you be offering the parts as a complete kit complete with braided steel lines and what type of filter will I need ie.small block chevy ?
It will be a complete kit with stainless lines as an option. The filter we are using is also extremely common to find and relatively inexpensive with a lot of filter capacity and lower pressure drops, it is the oil filter for all of the 5.0L Ford engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts