Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Change in Oil Filter

The ACDelco oil filter part # is PF2244G. I was told that this part was superseded by part number PF456G. The filter looks identical, but from what I understand the filter material is stronger. You can also get part # PF2259G, which includes a new cap that covers the oil filter. If you get the new cap you can NOT use the old filter with it, because the new cap creates a higher pressure that will callapse the old filter. It has been hard to find the old filter and could really only find the new filter or the new filter assembly.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

Here is a TSB that I got from a Saturn site and the link the forum where I found it.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48750

The purpose of this bulletin is to provide information about a new design oil filter cap assembly (P/N 12580254) and oil filter element (P/N 12579143) that has been released for service on 2.2L 4-cylinder engines (RPO L61) and supercharged 2.0L 4-cylinder engines (RPO LSJ).

Important
Always inspect for new design oil filter cap. If a new design oil filter cap (P/N 12580254) is present, the new design oil filter element (P/N 12579143) must be used to service this vehicle.

The new design oil filter cap can be identified by the rounded contour of the outer edges, rather than the flat edges on the previous designs. This new design oil filter cap is intended to backservice all previous model year vehicles. The new design oil filter element must be used to service vehicles with this new design oil filter cap. Refer to the "Parts Compatibility" table included in this bulletin for more information.

Notice
Do NOT use an old design oil filter element (P/N 22685727) in combination with the new design oil filter cap . The bypass valve in the new design oil filter cap is designed with increased relief pressure. Use of an old design oil filter element with the new design oil filter cap could result in damage to the engine.

The new design oil filter element can be identified by a slightly smaller inside diameter as well as straight vertical pleats, rather than the previous zigzag pleats. The new design oil filter element can be used with all vehicles listed in the "Models Affected" section that are equipped with 2.2L 4-cylinder engines (RPO L61) or supercharged 2.0L 4-cylinder engines (RPO LSJ).

Saturn Part Number
AC Delco Part Number
Description

PF2259G
Oil filter cap assembly

PF456G
Oil filter element

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know if this is the right thing to do for our Solstice? Should we replace the cap as well?

·
5,641 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
Does anyone know if this is the right thing to do for our Solstice? Should we replace the cap as well?
The bulletin referenced was issued in September of 2003 and was only issued for certain 2002-2004 Saturns with 2.0L & 2.2L engines.

So it would have no application to the 2.4L 2006 Solstice.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know why you can't get the PF2244G oil filter in most places then? I can get it at the Pontiac dealer, but it is not very convient for me to go to the dealer. Other places I can get the PF456G filter though. I couldn't even get the old filter at a Chevy dealer who has the cobalt with the same engine. Does anyone know if it is OK to use the new filter?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
You need to call Pontiac service department at your dealership and asked them to answer that question for you. Base on what SD has posted I would NOT use that filter until you get confirmation from an authorize source that you can do this with your new Solstice. I would not want to have to go through the hazels with Pontiac because the Eng on my new car got damage, specially if you did not purchase the filter through them and the filter was the cause of the failure to the Eng.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
So, bottom line then, what oil filter should be used?

What do I tell Wal-Mart, or Jiffy Lube, or any of these non-Pontiac places?

I went to Wal-Mart and they could not do an oil change, the Solstice is not even in their hand-held computers yet.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called my local dealer and they stated the the PF456G filter does supersede the PF2244G, but it is not necessary to purcahse the whole assembly, which is PF2259G.

The end result is that the new oil filter part number is PF456G.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I just buy FRAM ones instead since I can find the right part from them locally.

·
5,641 Posts
SolsticeDesire said:
I called my local dealer and they stated the the PF456G filter does supersede the PF2244G, but it is not necessary to purcahse the whole assembly, which is PF2259G.

The end result is that the new oil filter part number is PF456G.
You were posting while I was out in parts having them install the November update disc that came yesterday to make sure the data was fresh.

Both parts are listed in the parts book for the Solstice.

#-------- / PF---G is the listed Oil Filter (also in the owner's manual online version). This replaced #xxx5727 / PFxx44G in January of 2004. ("x" the numbers so no one writes down the wrong info)

#-------- / PF----G is the listed Cap, Seal and Filter unit. The cost is almost double the filter seperately.

Both numbers will work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts