Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't trust manuals, I trust people know what they're doing, and this form seems to be loaded with people who understand this car extremely well, for my 2008 GXP do you guys generally recommend 30 grade oil, or 40 grade? Maybe I'm not using the right words, but I do remember it's 30 or 40. I would think the turbo being a turbo one would go with the 30? If it helps I live in New York, hot summers, cold winters. Would one change the grade of the oil according to the season?

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
5w 30 Full synthetic many members use Mobile 1 I use Joe Gibbs Racing LS because it's made specifically for supercharged and turbo engines but again any name brand full synthetic such as Amsoil , Castrol , Valvoline etc. will be adequate do not use a blend

·
Registered
150 Posts
....I trust people know what they're doing...
This is a bad idea anywhere in life.

Owners Manual Page 5-17 said:
...Your vehicle’s engine requires a special oil meeting GM Standard GM4718M, such as Mobil 1® or equivalent. Oils meeting this standard may be identified as synthetic. However, not all synthetic oils will meet this GM standard. Look for and use only an oil that meets GM Standard GM4718M...As shown in the viscosity chart, SAE 5W-30 is best for your vehicle.These numbers on an oil container show its viscosity, or thickness. Do not use other viscosity oils...
I use Mobil 1 5W-30 and I believe most if not all others here use 5W-30 as well.

Talking oil with car guys is worse than talking religion or politics. Everybody has a favorite and you aren't gonna change anybody's mind about it.

·
Super Moderator
15,940 Posts
The turbo needs full synthetic multi viscosity oil. Before synthetics a hot turbo would fry the oil and if shut down hot the oil would turn into black sludge that inhibits lubrication and the turbo dies.

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Use oem recommended Mobil 1 5w30.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I don't trust manuals, I trust people know what they're doing, and this form seems to be loaded with people who understand this car extremely well,
You should always trust the manual...they're written for a reason. Full synthetic only. 5w30.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I don't trust manuals, I trust people know what they're doing...
Just curious why you "don't trust manuals". Do you think that the engineers that designed the car don't know what they are doing?

If it was an Asian made product whose manual was translated from the Asian language to "English as she is spoken", then I would agree with you.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious why you "don't trust manuals". Do you think that the engineers that designed the car don't know what they are doing?

If it was an Asian made product whose manual was translated from the Asian language to "English as she is spoken", then I would agree with you.
Because sometimes folks figure out things better than manufacturers through real life experience.
I a drummer besides an attorney and as a drummer we do things all the time manufacturers do not thing of or recommend etc, just for ex. Thanks

Got it all thanks guys, to all others above

·
Registered
6,490 Posts
The manufacturers are correct in specifying full synthetic and the 5/30 eight, but they standardize brand. You can use any oil that meets those specs, it doesn't have to be Mobil.

Just be careful - many manufacturers seem to fudge whether their oil is a full synthetic or blend. If you see the words 'semi' or 'blend' walk away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts