Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 GXP Coupe that has developed, what 'appears' to be a oil leak origionating from the high pressure lines that attach to the power steering rack (or close by). There is oil on the front of the engine, down low, but most of the muck seems to have gathered on the steering component.

I have several engine mods - Dejon IC, Dejon intake pipes and air filter, Trifecta Tune, Solo exhaust system. Before heading down to my dealership, I need advise on how I should approach this.

1. Will the mods listed above give them grounds to dismiss my warranty claim, or considering that the issue is with components that are not modified, will that not be entered into?

2. Should I revert back to the OEM tune, and remove Trifecta's tune? I do have the feature to turn the tune off using my crise control switch.

3. The vehicle is over 36 months old (purchased July 2009), but only has 15,000kms on it. Will they consider this minimal use and still cover under warranty.

I am well known at the dealership, having purchased 6 vehicles there over the past 10 years. However, this is my first attempt at warranty with the Solstice and need some direction on how to proceed with this. If GMCustomerSvc is 'listening' I would also appreciate there input on this. I am guessing as to the source of the leak. I am hoping it is what I stated above, however it is difficult todetermine where in fact it is coming from and could be fare more serious than a loose high pressure fitting or a blown seal on the power steering rack...ie: Main front seal.

This is something that I have been loosing sleep over! :cryin:

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
16,612 Posts
I have a 2009 GXP Coupe that has developed, what 'appears' to be a oil leak origionating from the high pressure lines that attach to the power steering rack (or close by). There is oil on the front of the engine, down low, but most of the muck seems to have gathered on the steering component.

I have several engine mods - Dejon IC, Dejon intake pipes and air filter, Trifecta Tune, Solo exhaust system. Before heading down to my dealership, I need advise on how I should approach this.

1. Will the mods listed above give them grounds to dismiss my warranty claim, or considering that the issue is with components that are not modified, will that not be entered into?

2. Should I revert back to the OEM tune, and remove Trifecta's tune? I do have the feature to turn the tune off using my crise control switch.

3. The vehicle is over 36 months old (purchased July 2009), but only has 15,000kms on it. Will they consider this minimal use and still cover under warranty.

I am well known at the dealership, having purchased 6 vehicles there over the past 10 years. However, this is my first attempt at warranty with the Solstice and need some direction on how to proceed with this. If GMCustomerSvc is 'listening' I would also appreciate there input on this. I am guessing as to the source of the leak. I am hoping it is what I stated above, however it is difficult todetermine where in fact it is coming from and could be fare more serious than a loose high pressure fitting or a blown seal on the power steering rack...ie: Main front seal.

Cheers.
OK,
the fact is that GM has knowledge of your concern with respect to your mods. Info you post on this forum is public information and available to all. As you have stated, GM customer service is a member and will read your thread eventually and provide you with an answer.

When you take the car into the dealer, the mechanical mods will be visible to them. Most dealers have not chosen to refuse to do warranty work based on mods. The way the law is written, they can deny warranty service based on your car being out of configuration, and you can then take them to court and "prove" that the mods did not cause the failure. Basically your only recourse to a denial of service is to appeal up the chain within GM or to take them to court. The price of going to court will make that path prohibitive.

In my experience, the vast majority of dealerships are willing to work with you on a failure that is not clearly a result of operator error, abuse or a direct result of a modification to the car.

With respect to the tune, if they have cause to go into the ECM to address a problem then they will either overwrite the factory tune over the top of what ever software is loaded currently. With a power steering pump failure its not likely that they will feel the need to go into the ECM and it will probably not be an issue with them.

My car had all the mechanical mods, some of which were installed by the dealer, and they never had an issue with it. Others, early on, went to the dealer for routine service and when they saw aftermarket charge tubs they voided their PT warranty. Those dealers are in the main out of business currently.:grouphug:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Most likely this is a super easy fix anyway: If you are correct that it is the power steering pump, then most likely it is just a failed hose clamp on the low pressure return line. For the life of me, I don't know why GM insists on still using those lame fricken snap clamps. But they do, and they tend to fail. Mine did, made a mess. Won't be covered by 36 month, because you are past (no-GM does not care that you have low miles).

If you are wrong, and it is actually engine oil: Then most likely the front main crank seal on the engine has failed (especially since you are running a high boost tune). But do not panic, this is a fairly simple fix as well. They have to remove the pulley, etc. to access the main cap. Cap comes off and new seal goes in. This one would be covered by the 100,000 mile power train warranty, if not for your aftermarket tune. They may cover it anyway. But if they don't, it really isn't that expensive anyway: maybe 2 hours labor and the part.

It could be a failing oil line connection to the turbo, but not likely. We haven't seen many of those let go.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I haven't looked at the steering on these cars but know from experience those lines are easily bent and it doesn't take much to rub or burn a hole in one. I was racing a new camaro in my 73 vette and blew his ass off the road but my victory turned onto embarrasment when I busted a weak line at about 6500rpm. that was a huge mess but only cost about $17 for a new hose. I searched all over and all of them were the cheap crimped version like GS stated but as long as it's not rubbing or stressed then they tend to last a while. I'd clean everythnig off real good and check your oil and PS levels to confirm where it came from. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts

Cheers.
First off, I looked at my car on my buddy's hoist about 6 weeks ago and noticed what I thought was an "oil leak". Turns out, it was actually the waterpump! I thought I seen a ton of oil down the passenger side of the motor coming from what appeared to be the lip of the oil pan. It wasn't. It was coolant that had picked up oil.

Secondly, as long as it isn't a "powertrain" failure, they have no reason to pull the tune on your car. The only way they would pull the tune on your vehicle is if it was a MAJOR powertrain failure. My car is a "celebrity" at the dealer where I go because it's so loud (or was) and so quick....

Thirdly, as far as them "covering" your vehicle because of "minimal" use...it's worth a shot. Many dealers, if you've been a good customer, will cover it. However, if they chose not too, don't get upset. Your other option is to ask them for a "goodwill adjustment". But again, don't get upset if they don't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts