Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To continue the thread started in the ecotec tuner tour thread:

The Batman said:
IMHO, if you drive your car on a regular basis, the oil life calculator is a much, much, more accurate measure than mileage. The oil life calculator is counting each revolution of the engine, with multiplicative fudge factors for temperature figured in.
I would agree with you, except the oil life monitor fails to take into account the oil filter filling up and going into bypass mode (dirty oil is better than none!). I check my oil every time I gas up, and spotting when the oil filter has filled up and started bypassing oil has become second nature. Just rub the oil from the dipstick between your fingers. If you can feel a slightly "gritty" sensation, then the oil filter is toast. This happens during pollen season in as little as 1500 miles.

GM is also constrained by emissions standards since dirty oil is considered an "emission", and cutting emissions means extending the oil change interval as much as possible.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yup, you're right. There's no sensor to determine the quality or contamination of the oil. You should definitely change the oil early under those conditions, but instead of going by mileage, I'd still go by the oil life monitor and change at 50% perhaps, instead of waiting until it got below 10%. Actually, in the case of a fouled filter, it may be worth it to save the oil at 50% and just change the filter, no?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that's true, especially when going with synthetic. Personally, I'd like to have a monitor that tells me when the filter is full, since I use synthetic, instead of an oil life monitor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts