Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got oil changed cause my oil life % keeps going down now at 69% what is it supposed to be? And why does it keep going down? Is it safe to dive at that %? Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
OK, sorry, but REALLY?

Have you read your manual?

Sigh. The oil life monitor (OLM) is reset to 100% when you change your oil. It then calculates the percentage of oil life remaining as you drive your car - based on a quite complex algorithm.

In theory you are supposed to replace the oil before you hit 0%, but I suggest 30% to be safe.

·
Super Moderator
5,952 Posts
OK, sorry, but REALLY?

Have you read your manual?

Sigh. The oil life monitor (OLM) is reset to 100% when you change your oil. It then calculates the percentage of oil life remaining as you drive your car - based on a quite complex algorithm.

In theory you are supposed to replace the oil before you hit 0%, but I suggest 30% to be safe.
TS is correct, but I have oil test results that show "safe" operation right down to 0%. I generally change at 10% or 12 months, and lately 12 months comes first.
No problem driving it at 69%. If percentage keeps going down, they forgot to reset it.
As TS stated, the reading should be reset to 100% right after the change, then it will decrease approximately 15% per thousand miles under ideal conditions, more if you are doing things that are bad for the oil.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
No problem driving it at 69%. If percentage keeps going down, they forgot to reset it.

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f21/technical-faq-360/index2.html
Negative, Rusty. If it keeps going down that means you are driving it, and therefore, using the oil.

Note to Vincent - it is possible to see it actually go UP! I've seen it happen on my N/A after spirited driving on the side roads and then driving "easy miles" on the highway. It didn't go up MUCH but it did actually increase a few percent.

As Soup and John stated, the computer algorithm is based upon heat, rpm, speed, etc. If you're being hard on the oil the $ will decrease faster. If you're driving easy (highway) miles, it goes down slower.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Got it turn key no start hold arrow and info on wheel then hold info untill it resets bingo.
NOW, if you truly were at 69%, that means you've used 31% of your oil's life, assuming you haven't changed the oil. If you reset it at 69% left, that means when you get to 31% remaining on the oil life monitor, you're at 0%.

Follow?

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
one thing that nobody has said is...

you have to manually reset the oil gauge to 100% after an oil change. It does NOT happen automatically...
The procedure to reset the oil gauge is in the owners manual.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Yes, the owners manual says to manually reset the oil gauge, but the text of the thread posts never stated it.
Some lazy people may skip the manual and just do what is stated in the posts.
So, I was trying to be helpful. >:)

·
Registered
346 Posts
wow,I learned somethen....again..now I wonder if I will remember it next week or next year...more than likely not on any day after today. cancer, chemicals, radiation and mri's are real mind blowers..... long term is there, but short term...a good place to park. Keep all the good info flowing!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm Old School. I change mine based on mileage. Started at 3,000 miles. After a couple of changes and inspecting the oil, moved that to every 5,000 miles.

I wouldn't go any higher than that - and may even bump it back down to 3K as she gets more miles on the clock.

During my last oil change, and with 82K on the odometer, I added some Lucas Oil Treatment.

She's running great! Now I just have to get that inside passenger door handle repaired...

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
I'm Old School. I change mine based on mileage. Started at 3,000 miles. After a couple of changes and inspecting the oil, moved that to every 5,000 miles.

I wouldn't go any higher than that - and may even bump it back down to 3K as she gets more miles on the clock.

During my last oil change, and with 82K on the odometer, I added some Lucas Oil Treatment.

She's running great! Now I just have to get that inside passenger door handle repaired...
you do not say what kind of car you have.

If you have a gxp(turbo), then you have to be using mobil 1 or equivalent.

I did not expect synthetic oil to need any extra treatments...
:dunno:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sirwim, I have an NA 2.4 and use Castrol gtx conventional. I've used Castrol in every vehicle I've ever owned and feel safe with it.

But using what brand of oil is like what tire to use. Many are good and everyone has an opinion as to which is best.

Unless a vehicle I own calls for a specific brand (hasn't so far), Castrol is my go to.

I did just buy a Camry for the wife that calls for zero weight, and I'm going to have to check further into that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sirwim, I have an NA 2.4 and use Castrol gtx conventional. I've used Castrol in every vehicle I've ever owned and feel safe with it.

But using what brand of oil is like what tire to use. Many are good and everyone has an opinion as to which is best.

Unless a vehicle I own calls for a specific brand (hasn't so far), Castrol is my go to.

I did just buy a Camry for the wife that calls for zero weight, and I'm going to have to check further into that.
Don't mean to hi-jack the thread but 0W20 changed every 10,000miles is correct for your Camry.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have to reset oil life with steering whell go to oil life after oil change then go to oil life and hold in the arrow button in car will reset. Just have key clicked 1 time dont start. Good luck had same problem had to figure out.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
When I first heard that 10,000 miles, I went... what!?! But was assured that was correct.
. . . . . .
Must be an older car because 10000 is way too often for a modern car.

of course car manufacturers take various data into account, therefore European intervals are often way different than US intervals.

·
Premium Member
10,296 Posts
Yes, Mobil one for our GXP

1 - 20 of 31 Posts