Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,338 Posts
If I were to believe the OLM in my 2006 Solstice 1st 1K, I would change the oil approximately every 10,000 miles.

YMMV

:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
6,293 Posts
If I were to believe the OLM in my 2006 Solstice 1st 1K, I would change the oil approximately every 10,000 miles.

YMMV.
Is that with synthetic? I was averaging 6,600 with the original oil, but it changed to around 9,600 after i switched to synthetic.

According to the oil analyses I had done the oil was still in decent condition at those mileages, and no engine wear was indicated.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,338 Posts
Is that with synthetic? I was averaging 6,600 with the original oil, but it changed to around 9,600 after i switched to synthetic.

According to the oil analyses I had done the oil was still in decent condition at those mileages, and no engine wear was indicated.
AFAIK, there is no setting on the OLM for synthetic versus regular oil.

:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
6,293 Posts
AFAIK, there is no setting on the OLM for synthetic versus regular oil..
There isn't, which to me is a pretty solid indicator that the system actually does what it is claimed to do, and it isn't just a mileage counter. The parameters that are monitored by the ECM to calculate the oil life are clearly improved by using synthetic to the degree that the algorithm extends the life prediction without other input.

The other solid indicator, of course is the fact that professional oil analysis actual confirms the life prediction.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Must be an older car because 10000 is way too often for a modern car. of course car manufacturers take various data into account, therefore European intervals are often way different than US intervals.
It's a 2017 Toyota Camry SE w/45,000 miles, brand new Michelins and a full tank of gas.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,338 Posts
There isn't, which to me is a pretty solid indicator that the system actually does what it is claimed to do, and it isn't just a mileage counter. The parameters that are monitored by the ECM to calculate the oil life are clearly improved by using synthetic to the degree that the algorithm extends the life prediction without other input.

The other solid indicator, of course is the fact that professional oil analysis actual confirms the life prediction.
John, nowhere did I indicate that I am using synthetic oil, I am not. Mine indicates an approximate 10,000 mile change interval for conventional motor oil. It has done this since the car was brand new, and continues to do so.

YMMV

·
Super Moderator
6,293 Posts
John, nowhere did I indicate that I am using synthetic oil, I am not. Mine indicates an approximate 10,000 mile change interval for conventional motor oil. It has done this since the car was brand new, and continues to do so..
That is a little surprising, and probably the longest interval I have heard of with non-synthetic oil, which is why I asked if you had switched.
What oil do you use? It must be really good stuff.

And I have to assume that you drive "gently".

·
Super Moderator
6,293 Posts
Whatever the oil change place puts in it.

I don't beat on it, for the most part I'm mostly gentle with it..
Depending on who does your oil changes it is possible that you are using synthetic. The 15-minute oil change places aren't doing it, but many of the independent shops around here use synthetic exclusively.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,338 Posts
Depending on who does your oil changes it is possible that you are using synthetic. The 15-minute oil change places aren't doing it, but many of the independent shops around here use synthetic exclusively.
The point I was trying to make is that mine has been stuck on a 10,000 mile interval since the car was brand new, 14 years ago. During that time I know it has had conventional oil most of the time. Now I just ignore it for the most part, and change the oil when the little tag they put on the windshield tells me to change the oil.

YMMV.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts