Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'll be placing my order Friday night after work. This is my very first NEW car... most of my cars I've bought with them being at least 2-3 years old... so I'm not sure what to expect.

Several of my co-workers are ordering this car too... I actually brought it to their attention! hehe... but I went up to the Pontiac dealership in West Palm yesterday with one of my co-workers and he ordered everything. So I have the complete specifications list. He ended up ordering his totally loaded...

I on the other hand am considering getting one that's totally stripped down... for two reasons. It's a sports car, and I don't really need all the other options, and second, I'd really like to keep the cost down.

Of the BASE Solstice, my order was going to consist of:

1 - LSD 3.91:1 Rear Differential
2 - Floor Mats
3 - Air conditioning
4 - Upgraded CD Player with MP3 capability

I was NOT planning on getting the ABS, the Convenience, Power, or Luxury package...

Not getting the ABS does make me a bit nervous... although I do hope to do some SOLO-2 with this car... I'd like to think that I'm an awesome driver, but I'm really not much better than the average driver. I haven't been in any accidents, but there's always a first time. My Fieros don't have any ABS and I'm aware enough to know to pump the brakes when I've "screwed up"...

My friend's order.. which was basically loaded minus the Monsoon system... came out to ~$25,000

I dunno, just looking for some ideas / thoughts / comments.

I know I won't be getting the fog lamps, or the convenience package with the monitoring center either... anyone have any pictures that show exactly what either of those look like?

Thanks!!!

Todd,
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 5-Speed WS6
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 Auto Y99
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 SE WS6
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

·
Registered
114 Posts
order as much as you can afford - its makes resale/trade-in easier down the road. a good portion of what you save now, you will lose them, if you de-content. just my opinion of course.

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
I agree, resale value is better when you've got all the factory options up front...

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you don't need the options, don't get them. That's the fun of this car. You get it the way you want; not the way others want it. Enjoy you Solstice.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I'd recommend getting ABS. IMHO it is defitely worth it. The rest of it is a matter of personal preference, but ABS has advanced significantly in the last 8 years, and integrates well with "enthusiast" driving - INCLUDING autocrossing.

It is also very difficult to consistently outbrake ABS in multiple attempts (in modern systems - this was not always the case with the older 2 & 3 channel systems that erred toward the conservative side in lieu of maneuverability), and can save you the once-in-a-while situation where you can flatspot a tire.

Once you flat-spot a tire, you live with the vibration for the next several thousand miles. The resonance can sometimes create unusal wear patterns due to vibrational resonance.

OK, now I've gotten wordy - but if you look in the site index, you will find the link for brakes, ABS (antilock brakes) active, and there is a lot of discussion of the merits of the technology.

·
Registered
381 Posts
:agree: Get the ABS. Your insurance company will be glad you did.

I've toyed with the idea of what you're going to do: order the car without a bunch of weight-adding options. The purist in me says that a roadster should be light on the creature comforts. The 47 year old in me disagrees, though, so mine will probably be loaded. OTOH, no options could mean that my wife won't want to drive the car, leaving it for me. Hmmm.... :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice... I think I may seriously consider getting the ABS... I'm just curious.. and don't take this the wrong way... I am in NO way a hard-core racer, that I'm SOOO awesome that I would be the kind of person that would need or want to disable ABS... but lets just say that... perhaps one day I DO become that good.. hahaha... is there a way to disable the ABS without freaking stuff out? I'm totally curious.

I probably should have mentioned, I have absolutely no intention of ever selling this car....

The only cars I get rid of are the cookie cutter cars.

Does anyone know specifically the visual difference between the information center and NOT getting it?

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I'm sure you could unplug a wheel sensor and disable it, but why would you?

Put it this way - there's a reason that the people who race corvettes leave the ABS on when they race. I'm talking very talented drivers here.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
solsticeman said:
Put it this way - there's a reason that the people who race corvettes leave the ABS on when they race. I'm talking very talented drivers here.
I'll take your word for it...

Of all the options I could probably add or remove... that's one that's probably the most difficult.

I'll get it.

I think I've decided that I'll just get the Power Package. I think that comes with Power Windows, Power Door Locks, and Power Mirrors.

I have no problems whatsoever with a cloth interior.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Tractional control is what I hear most people wanting to turn off while racing. However some cars have such really good tractional control systems some people would rather race with them on then off.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
brentil said:
Tractional control is what I hear most people wanting to turn off while racing. However some cars have such really good tractional control systems some people would rather race with them on then off.
Of course TC is usually on FWD cars. I've turned mine off just acouple of times. The car on the regular highway gets a little antsy and so I just leave it on .

·
Registered
54 Posts
I oredered mine with just about everything. The only thing I didn't get was the stereo and the satellite radio. I figure if I lease the vehicle a few grand won't make that much difference.

I don't tintend to drive the car a lot. My hobby is restoring Chevy muscle cars which a rarely drive those and this will be no different.

·
Registered
381 Posts
FWIW, when I find myself in a "situation" where I'm going to need to accellerate quickly in our 2001 Focus, I turn off the traction control. It makes a big difference because the TC just kills the engine when it kicks in. When my wife sees me reach for "the button", she just shakes her head.

I'll race anybody, in anything..... :)

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
82-T/A said:
I'll take your word for it...

Of all the options I could probably add or remove... that's one that's probably the most difficult.

I'll get it.

I think I've decided that I'll just get the Power Package. I think that comes with Power Windows, Power Door Locks, and Power Mirrors.

I have no problems whatsoever with a cloth interior.

Thanks!!!
Forgot to add that point - but you made it. You can change, add, subtract or do what you want for many of the convenience features (like stereo, or even the diff). Retrofitting a car for ABS is definitely not easy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
IMHO power windows is a convenience must and ABS is a non-negotiable safety requirement in this modern automobile age.

I ordered mine pretty well loaded, save polished wheels and an upgraded sound system. If a slushbox and supercharger were available, I'd have gotten that too, but, then again, I would have been moving into different pricing territory, so I am glad to have been limited by Pontiac in this regard.

Oder what your gut tells you but dont pinch pennies now and be disappointed and wanting later, especially if you plan on keeping the car for a long-term relationship where you may be kicking yourself for not adding that cool drivers info center just to save a few bucks way back in 05'....

·
Registered
905 Posts
My thoughts exactly black hawk, I was not planning to get the Air Conditioning. Then I thought about it and said to myself, I do not have a girlfriend now, but down the road, she would probably want the Air Conditioning. Everything else was necessary, I have never had power anything except a sunroof, having all the conveniences will be a nice change.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Adrenaline said:
My thoughts exactly black hawk, I was not planning to get the Air Conditioning. Then I thought about it and said to myself, I do not have a girlfriend now, but down the road, she would probably want the Air Conditioning. Everything else was necessary, I have never had power anything except a sunroof, having all the conveniences will be a nice change.
Girlfriends can have this certain tendency. Girlfriends also become wives, and many more wives have this tendency. I've also noticed this tendency in my "higher maintenance" nieces, as early as 8 years old.

This tendency has to do with the seeming incompatibility of hair and wind - I know my wife has to know if we're going top down in a convertible. This decision is important, because then she has to put her hair into a special, wind-resistant hairstyle, like a ponytail, and bear my wishes to drive top-down. It is NOT really an option to put the top down on impulse (I COULD, but I'd rather not sleep in said convertible that night :lol: ) if it had not been planned ahead of time.

There's also the sun-factor, neither one of us likes to get sunburned, so there is an upper limit of exposure that both of us where on a very sunny day, we go with top-up.

That being said - I would only consider no AC if I were going to dedicate the car to 100% racing. Otherwise, I require AC for the majority of time where I will be running top-up.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I'd chose AC. Even if your not going to use it a lot to cool off, it will still help de-fog your windows if it is raining out. Its good at removing moisture from the cabin.

Also, I often use the AC when I have the top down anyway, to blow some cool air in my face and on my arms when it is especially warm out. With the top down, under a hot sun, sitting in traffic or even at a long stoplight, you can get pretty warm.

·
Registered
753 Posts
if i had to prioritize the options number one would be AC. ABS and LSD would be fighting for 2nd place. you won't know the ABS is on until you really need it. after you learn to trust it you may find it will allow you to brake harder and later .... not that i drive that way...

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys....

I've made my decision...

ABS, Floor mats.. (haha), LSD, and A/C.

Now... the big problem for me is.. what color to get?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts