Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I've been seeing alot of different topics but can't seem to find definitive answers. I'm having a rally/autox/fun wrx built at the moment. Not gonna be done for several months. In the mean time I've always wanted to switch the solstice to e85. AND just so happens the wrx is going to run e85. AND I live less then a mile from an e85 filling station. What's not to love.

So I see things about how I can't go e85 on the solstice because of the fuel pump. Then I can't go e85 because of the injectors. Seems those are not only easy to fix they really aren't that expensive. zzperformance seems to have what I need.

So I tried contacting Vince at trifecta. No answers. Literally just not answering. I joined their page and posted questions. Still just not answering and post aren't even going up without admin approval. So I contacted DDMWORKS. They are friendly but again no help.

Has anyone actually done this. Swapped injectors, swaped the cam and tuned for e85? Did it work?

I'm not familiar with hp tuners but it seems this is the way to go since trifecta won't help it seems. If this some sort of stand alone or do I just go to a shop with hp tuner software and they plug it in and go?

Thanks in advance.
:lurk:

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I'd contact Dave with Performance autowerks.

he has tuned E47 & E85 solstices...

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP
258 Posts
Your in tank fuel pump is fine.

I use e47 with a 5th injector. Even e47 is on the ragged edge of not providing enough fuel @ 24psi without a boost ramp. That is why I added the 5th injector. I noticed on days around 50* and lower I would have dips in my rail pressure through the mid range so I added the injector because I didn't want to tune around fuel limitations. By dips I mean a couple hundred psi at the rail with corresponding high IPW. When I tried e85 I would see rail pressure drop more than 1000psi on each pull. If you boost limit/ramp through the mid-range say 20-22psi until the hpfp is providing enough volume you can run e47 or e85 on just a tune. I didn't like this because on the stock turbo your power band is already low and short. You're losing an easy 30tq for more than a 1000rpms by keeping boost lower which offsets the power gains of running emixes.

You really need to do the fuel cam and direct injectors or a 5th injector @ 60lbs vs the 36lb I am using. 36lb wont work for e85 because the idc is maxed out just before you get all the fuel needed. I don't use e85 so I never got a bigger injector.

With hpt it is very easy to tune for emixes.

As a side note. There is a study floating around showing the difference in knock resistance and power gains between e50 and e85 is negligible on lower compression engines like LNF. IIRC you get 80-85% of the benefits of e85 on just e30 and 95%+ on e50.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts