Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No spare. But you do have a pump...Your not going to leave your car on side of road .Do you call for wrecker or flat bed...?:willy:

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
No spare. But you do have a pump...Your not going to leave your car on side of road .Do you call for wrecker or flat bed...?:willy:
When it happened to me in April I called my GM extended warranty and asked for a flat bed. They sent it and loaded my Sol onto it. They took me to my dealer who put on a new tire. Flat bed was covered by my warranty.

My warranty expires in early Sept of this year. I just joined CAA for exactly this reason. Wherever I am in North America I want a number that I can call get a flat bed.:thumbs:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've heard run flats have come a long way. When my tires need replaced, I might try some high performance run flats. I've heard there are several tire lines that ride pretty well and are not as heavy as the old run flats. Just my $.02 :)

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I hesitated on buying my SKY because there was no spare, then I realized that in 50 years of driving, there was only one instance where an air pump wouldn't have gotten me out of a pinch. I carry a plug kit too, but haven't had a flat yet.

·
Registered
728 Posts
You guys would be surprised how many cars nowadays do NOT have a spare, some, not even a tire air pump..

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I have had a plug tool for yearrrs and have used it a hundred times. I use the long foam looking plugs. Since the wife bought her IQ and has picked up about 5 nails this year, I bought her a plug kit for her car. when I bought my 06, I bought a kit for it and bought one for the GXP a couple weeks ago. So, as long as I dont hit something that totally mangles my tire, I'm good to go. I also bought a flashlight for each car too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have had two tire failures after which a AAA flatbed picked me up and delivered me to Mr. Tire. The problem is that replacement tires are not readily available unless you settle for whatever the tire store can get their hands on quickly in our GXP size. I learned my lesson and when I purchased replacement wheels, I had a no longer used F1 mounted to an OEM wheel and keep it in the garage as a temp spare.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've had two (questionable) flats (same tire both times) in the past 2 months, so here's another supporter of keeping the plug kit in the car. BTW the pump works fine, slow, but fine, but the sealant is crap!

·
Premium Member
18,503 Posts
I looked at run flats too. Sounds great. Till I learned that once they go flat you can drive on the inner "spare" at reduced speed, for not very many miles, then you throw them away and buy new ones. And they cost significantly more, and you are basically carrying a spare tire around inside each run flat all the time.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I looked at run flats too. Sounds great. Till I learned that once they go flat you can drive on the inner "spare" at reduced speed, for not very many miles, then you throw them away and buy new ones. And they cost significantly more, and you are basically carrying a spare tire around inside each run flat all the time.
I read somewhere that you are restricted to 50MPH, and that the range is also restricted, I want to say 60 miles, but I'm not sure.. Then you are right, you have buy a replacement, I don't think run flats are repairable.. Throw away tire for a flat..:willy:

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's true about the run flats. However, if I have a flat, especially in the middle of a rainy night on a road with no berm, I would rather drive 50-60 miles at reduced speed to a tire shop than try to plug and inflate a flat tire. Goes double for my wife.

I think the compromise of run flats is worth it for me. YMMV...

·
Registered
991 Posts
My warranty expires in early Sept of this year. I just joined CAA for exactly this reason. Wherever I am in North America I want a number that I can call get a flat bed.:thumbs:
CAA has been my fall back for decades, I travel to the states often and like the bail bond protection as well.

·
Premium Member
3,389 Posts
CAA has been my fall back for decades, I travel to the states often and like the bail bond protection as well.
With my experience with Tolls and Smokies that could come in very handy!:lol::willy::lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.