Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually by now we have begun to consider where the nationals after next will be held. So far, dead silence?

Thoughts?

:lurk::lurk::lurk:

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think perhaps this is premature, at least let the 2016 come and go before pushing 2017.. Or perhaps somebody standing up and picking a location I guess is ok

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If we wait till June it will be too late.

It generally takes six months of discussion to figure out which are viable candidates and where people will agree to go

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Having just driven through Upsate NY anywhere in or near the Adarondaks would be amazing. Lake Placid, Saratoga Springs etc. Beautiful country. Lots of mountains and twisties. Of course a team of people need to live near there and step up to do it. I saw one Sol north of Syracuse so I suspect not a lot of Kappa's in these parts.:cryin:

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Je voterais pour Montréal!
Montreal area would be great. Problem will be you need a passport to go between Canada and USA. You should also have an inkling of French if you are driving around as road signs are only in French. If you do not know what "Arrete" means then you probably should not be driving in the province of Quebec. My French is poor but I have enough to have driven around Quebec many times. It is a beautiful and wonderful part of Canada. No offence meant to our French Canadian Kappa brothers and sisters but it is difficult driving with no grasp of French. However, if our Quebec chapter chose to host NASSM I would be there in a heart beat.

Canada will be a problem for the vendors getting across the border with tools and products. It is a can of worms and I doubt they would come. Sadly, I don't see a Kanadian Kappa NASSM happening.:cryin:

·
Registered
761 Posts
How about this? Lake Placid is only about an hour and a half from the border. Maybe there could be a run or two that crosses the border for those prepared for the crossing. That could get our Canadian friends involved in the planning and execution of the event. They could even post some signs in English along the routes of the runs.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
How about this? Lake Placid is only about an hour and a half from the border. Maybe there could be a run or two that crosses the border for those prepared for the crossing. That could get our Canadian friends involved in the planning and execution of the event. They could even post some signs in English along the routes of the runs.
I think Lake Placid would be incredible. The wife and I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza there a couple of times. She is a figure skater and trains there occasionaly. Sadly, English signs in the province of Quebec are illegal. If this happened in Lake Placid you would get a big turn out from Quebec & Ontario. I would throw in my organizational skills and hotel negotiating abilities ( part of my former life) if needed.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
North east would be great

Lake Placide NY , Stowe and Burlington VT would be great. Even il I am only a French Canadian that drive on road were there is only French sign (LOL), I planned many rides in this area and they were incredible. The best and not to miss is The ride going in Lake Champlain Island area to Stowe going to The mountain notch. The other one from Kilington is also a spectaculaire one.

If someone decided to take The lead with this idea, I would volonteer to help for sure , in French (LOL).

Even better, iif some of you would like to come and do some ride in Montreal area, I already have a minimum of four ride ready to share.

The SSQOC (Solstice Sky Québec Owners Club) are Always ready to welcome Kappa friends. We did in The past and We were 50 cars and il was not even a National meet. And BTW not ones hot lost be cause of French sign.... 2XLOL

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Lake Placid sounds good. I don't understand French (well, a few words: nord, sud, est, ouest, sortie & arret) but passport is no problem. I've driven from Montreal to Quebec City and back twice. The first time (many years ago) road signs had English subtitles, the next time (a few years ago), only French.

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice suggestions

Do we have any volunteers?

In any region.

One of the advantages of Arkansas is its closer to more regions. Having events in areas distant from the cdnter of the country results in a hardship for those far distant from the event. It would be great to find active volunteers closer to the center of the country. But right now just finding volunteers would be great

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Lake Placide NY , Stowe and Burlington VT would be great. Even il I am only a French Canadian that drive on road were there is only French sign (LOL), I planned many rides in this area and they were incredible. The best and not to miss is The ride going in Lake Champlain Island area to Stowe going to The mountain notch. The other one from Kilington is also a spectaculaire one.

If someone decided to take The lead with this idea, I would volonteer to help for sure , in French (LOL).

Even better, iif some of you would like to come and do some ride in Montreal area, I already have a minimum of four ride ready to share.

The SSQOC (Solstice Sky Québec Owners Club) are Always ready to welcome Kappa friends. We did in The past and We were 50 cars and il was not even a National meet. And BTW not ones hot lost be cause of French sign.... 2XLOL
When you and your team did the Eastern Townships run a few years back it was incredible. It was one of the best runs I have been on. If you decided to do the Nationals in Quebec it would be awesome. If someone would step up and lead on Adarondaks that would also be fantastic. :thumbs: My concern about French was more for our American friends. They might have no knowledge of it. As an Ontario guy I have a working knowledge from school and my wife is half French so she can always translate for me.:lol:

Your idea of Burlington VT is an excellent one. I would volunteer to handle or help out on the hotel negotiations. There is a Sheraton there. I have experience with SPG branded hotels having a booked them for our annual Niagara Run, Collingwood and Kingston get togethers. Rob makes a good point about more central location but this area is so stunning it would be worth it.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,200 Posts
When you and your team did the Eastern Townships run a few years back it was incredible. It was one of the best runs I have been on. If you decided to do the Nationals in Quebec it would be awesome. If someone would step up and lead on Adarondaks that would also be fantastic. :thumbs: .
Adirondacks (spelling corrected) :dthumbs: and Vermont . . . both are beautiful places.

The problem you have when you get that far east is you are cutting back on the number of people that can or will attend. People from the west coasts of the United States and Canada just cannot take that much time and miles to attend.

But . . . I could be wrong, it has happened before :dunno: . . .

The important thing is that a group step up to do this!

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Adirondacks (spelling corrected) :dthumbs: and Vermont . . . both are beautiful places.

The problem you have when you get that far east is you are cutting back on the number of people that can or will attend. People from the west coasts of the United States and Canada just cannot take that much time and miles to attend.

But . . . I could be wrong, it has happened before :dunno: . . .

The important thing is that a group step up to do this!

Thanks for correcting my spelling. My French is even worse.:lol: Lake Placid is 300 miles north of the Poconos, site of NASSM 2013. It was well attended and a tremendous success. You are 100% correct.....this is all fantasy land unless some one steps up and leads.:cryin:

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for correcting my spelling. My French is even worse.:lol: Lake Placid is 300 miles north of the Poconos, site of NASSM 2013. It was well attended and a tremendous success. You are 100% correct.....this is all fantasy land unless some one steps up and leads.:cryin:
The Poconos was not well attended by people outside the north east. There is no way to get there other than a week of driving for anyone on the west or south coast regions. My recollection is that it was about the same number of cars that we saw at the Oregon Nationals. While that too was a lot of fun, there were not a huge number of participants for a Nationals.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,200 Posts
The Poconos was not well attended by people outside the north east. There is no way to get there other than a week of driving for anyone on the west or south coast regions. My recollection is that it was about the same number of cars that we saw at the Oregon Nationals. While that too was a lot of fun, there were not a huge number of participants for a Nationals.
According to my numbers, there were 185 cars at the Poconos versus 108 cars at Portland.

:dunno:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Good discussion. Let's keep it going. The 2017 committee only has 9 months to get a snappy preview video ready to show in the Ozarks!

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
According to my numbers, there were 185 cars at the Poconos versus 108 cars at Portland.

:dunno:

Good info

several of us wanted to go to the Poconos but could not figure out how to make it happen. Due to the distance and the lack of commercial transportion.

And the numbers suggest that events distant from the centroid of population will have less attendees.

But you knew that already. :yesnod:

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good discussion. Let's keep it going. The 2017 committee only has 9 months to get a snappy preview video ready to show in the Ozarks!
It can take months just to get a consensus among a group to propose holding an event like this. And generally once you have done one, you are not motivated to do another one . . .

·
Registered
984 Posts
How about the Wisconsin Dells ... I don't know if the WISOLS are up for it but it would be a fantastic place for a Nationals ... and it is fairly equidistant from ALL areas of the country.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts