Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Please tell me

The Poconos was not well attended by people outside the north east. There is no way to get there other than a week of driving for anyone on the west or south coast regions. My recollection is that it was about the same number of cars that we saw at the Oregon Nationals. While that too was a lot of fun, there were not a huge number of participants for a Nationals.
What is The exact GPS Geographic point of North America. That should be The place

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,200 Posts
How about the Wisconsin Dells ... I don't know if the WISOLS are up for it but it would be a fantastic place for a Nationals ... and it is fairly equidistant from ALL areas of the country.
MomsSol answered that one during discussions leading up to 2016 in the Ozarks. The Dells is way too busy during the summer, traffic is horrendous, and there aren't enough interesting roads nearby to support a National gettogether.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/1204857-post12.html

:dunno:

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
What is The exact GPS Geographic point of North America. That should be The place
I always get Lebanon, KS, which is 20 miles north of Belle Fourche, marked by a mini chapel.

Geographic Center of the United States

Regardless, the geographic center of the U.S. sounds like it would attract the most participants. I also advocate for having the nationals in the same place every five years for some consistency, and based on the anniversary date of the VIN. Yeah, I know I'm in the minority in believing the anniversary date should be based on 2006 and not 2005. :willy:

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We may be getting to the point where we have used up the regional volunteers. Maybe its time to do a Nationals by Committee and pick a good place to hold them even if no one on the organizing committee actually lives there. Also, with the web resources, its not really necessary to live in a particular region to hold an event there anymore.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Somewhere out west again would be really nice - a place I have time to drive to and back in a week (some of us still have jobs that prevent taking time to do transcontinental drives).

How about Colorado, Rob - I've always wanted to see that area......

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,200 Posts
We may be getting to the point where we have used up the regional volunteers. Maybe its time to do a Nationals by Committee and pick a good place to hold them even if no one on the organizing committee actually lives there. Also, with the web resources, its not really necessary to live in a particular region to hold an event there anymore.
You will still need a group of people "on the ground" in the location in order to set up the runs and the hundreds of other day to day decisions that need to be made that are site specific.

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You will still need a group of people "on the ground" in the location in order to set up the runs and the hundreds of other day to day decisions that need to be made that are site specific.

True, but its not necessary to actually reside there to accomplish that. For example, we are 4 hours away from Moab / Grand Junction but we have gone there 1-2 times a year for the past 5 years and know it very well.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I always get Lebanon, KS, which is 20 miles north of Belle Fourche, marked by a mini chapel.

Geographic Center of the United States

Regardless, the geographic center of the U.S. sounds like it would attract the most participants. I also advocate for having the nationals in the same place every five years for some consistency, and based on the anniversary date of the VIN. Yeah, I know I'm in the minority in believing the anniversary date should be based on 2006 and not 2005. :willy:
The very first Nationals was in Kansas City: Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum - View Single Post - National Meet Statistics - Prior Years

How was it? From what I've seen of KS, it is all flatlands with straight roads? Not many hwy choices for twisty runs.

Yogi

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
If we consider US population (not geography) the center is closer to St. Louis, Louisville KY, Nashville, Cincinnati. Understandably even this area isn't going to make everyone happy if you live on the extremes of the US but for attendance this may be the best location. I've lived in Louisville and Nashville and there is plenty to do between the bourbon trail/ Jack Daniels, car museums (Indianapolis,Bowling Green), Music, great country roads, Natchez Trace, etc. Does it make any sense to consider having two events - west coast and east coast/central? By using the internet and contacting local organizations that want to promote tourism we may be able to organize an event with a minimum of local Solstice/Sky owners. Just points for discussion.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If we consider US population (not geography) the center is closer to St. Louis, Louisville KY, Nashville, Cincinnati. Understandably even this area isn't going to make everyone happy if you live on the extremes of the US but for attendance this may be the best location. I've lived in Louisville and Nashville and there is plenty to do between the bourbon trail/ Jack Daniels, car museums (Indianapolis,Bowling Green), Music, great country roads, Natchez Trace, etc. Does it make any sense to consider having two events - west coast and east coast/central? By using the internet and contacting local organizations that want to promote tourism we may be able to organize an event with a minimum of local Solstice/Sky owners. Just points for discussion.
I'd like to see the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green. Also, they have a new racetrack there. Maybe they would let us use it?

Yogi

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
The Corvette Museum is repaired. There are tours of the Corvette plant. It is my understanding that the track (motorsportspark.org) can be rented out.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
I have been involved with the FJ National event for many years. Ouray, Colorado offers a great little town, and some spectacular drives near it. I vote Rob Host it there! You could do it the 2nd week of July and I could just stay over for the off road event!

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I have been involved with the FJ National event for many years. Ouray, Colorado offers a great little town, and some spectacular drives near it. I vote Rob Host it there! You could do it the 2nd week of July and I could just stay over for the off road event!
Where do you find hotels? Last time I checked there werre only a couple there

But I agree its beautiful

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bluegrass area

The Corvette guys do their events in Kentucky, Louisville is a large enough town to have adequate hotels at fairly reasonable prices (plus, it's in 'flyover' country which is low cost compared to the coasts). There are a lot of good roads, beautiful countryside in the thoroughbred horse breeding sections around Lexington - and the Bourbon Tour is really something to see. There should be enough Indiana, Southern Ohio, Northern Tennessee and Kentucky guys/gals to staff an event - and it is almost exactly in the middle of the country.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
We get 350 trucks every year. Actually there are about 8 in town, then you have several RV camping sites in town and a KOA just north of town. Some stay in Montrose, 30 minutes north.

The city endorses our event, we donate to mountain rescue and two scholarships of a 1000 dollars every year. We have had all 9 Nationals there.

Some of the most beautiful off road trails in the United States. And one of the most scenic/dangerous highways in the world between Ouray and Silverton. The triangle of Durango, Ouray and Telluride is as near paradise as you can get, although Telluride is very expensive. Many high mountain passes and twisties on both sides down to Durango. I believe a regional was held in the Durango area. The area is known as the Alps or Switzerland of the Americas. The San Juans are not like any other mountain range in the continental US (supposedly) Similar to ranges in British Columbia.

Moab, Utah seems to be within the run length of the Arkansas National, so does Glenwood Springs.

If there is interest in that area I would help. I agree with the premise it should be somewhat centrally located. Not sure Ouray fits that mold.

I could get you in touch with the people that organize our event for phone numbers and help setting it up.

No I do not work for the tourism council of Ouray, but I sure could. I love the place.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I've been to the Durango area several times. The missus has a sister who lives near there. We usually stay in Farmington NM because Durango hotels are so expensive. Beautiful area, though.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts