Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Durango is the lowest altitude of the triangle, near Mesa Verde and Farmington. As you go north you hit the 14K foot mountain ranges. Numerous 9, 10 K passes. It is a 75 mile drive to Ouray, listed time by triple A I think is 4 hours. Some really tight twisties, with straight down cliffs and no guard rails. But the views are spectacular.

I lived in Pagosa Springs, east of Durango about 50 miles.

And yes Durango is expensive, actually all of the area is. But anyone that owns a Kappa should drive the million dollar highway at least once. It is quite an experience. I thought I was going to get to this summer, but decided not to tow the car there. Glad I didn't as it rained every single day we were there, every morning. Actually snowed on us on top of Imogene Pass on the 23rd of July.

But I also think it is going to be hard to find anything as centrally located as the Arkansas National. They have found a real gem with this one, no question.

·
Super Moderator
15,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So I appreciate your comments about Ouray but based on my experience driving all over Colorado and eastern Utah for the past 20 years, I think the best place to hold a nationals would be in Moab.

They have a ton of things to do and some great and I mean GREAT roads to run. Desert twisties where we have gone well into tripple digits and down to 15 MPH on tight corners - all on the same trip.

Dead Horse Point and Punker Pass Road

Arches National Park

Gateway / Nucla highway. The resort and car museum are great to visit

The run up the colorado river road has to be seen to be believed. and you can visit

Highway 24 to Capital Reef. They have home made pie and icecream at the park entrance. Lots of twisties and elevation changes on that road. Some of the most beautiful terrain for pictures.

Run to Fruita and the Feed Lot for really great prime rib. Then on to Palisade for the wineries

The Colorado Monument is a fantastic set of twisties along a mini grand canyon.

The cruise up and over Grand Mesa is fantastic. Great high altitude pictures there.

In Moab they also have:
Dinner and river cruise with light show
Ziplines
Hot air balooning
Hiking
Jeep rentals
Lots of fun brew pubs

Im guessing that you could attract numbers similar to the Denver nationals in 09 which was if I recall correctly about 125 cars and ~230 people.

Moab can support that size group.

Could be doable with some help if there is enough interest

Attachments

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
You are so good and full of gréât idea

So I appreciate your comments about Ouray but based on my experience driving all over Colorado and eastern Utah for the past 20 years, I think the best place to hold a nationals would be in Moab.

They have a ton of things to do and some great and I mean GREAT roads to run. Desert twisties where we have gone well into tripple digits and down to 15 MPH on tight corners - all on the same trip.

Dead Horse Point and Punker Pass Road

Arches National Park

Gateway / Nucla highway. The resort and car museum are great to visit

The run up the colorado river road has to be seen to be believed. and you can visit

Highway 24 to Capital Reef. They have home made pie and icecream at the park entrance. Lots of twisties and elevation changes on that road. Some of the most beautiful terrain for pictures.

Run to Fruita and the Feed Lot for really great prime rib. Then on to Palisade for the wineries

The Colorado Monument is a fantastic set of twisties along a mini grand canyon.

The cruise up and over Grand Mesa is fantastic. Great high altitude pictures there.

In Moab they also have:
Dinner and river cruise with light show
Ziplines
Hot air balooning
Hiking
Jeep rentals
Lots of fun brew pubs

Im guessing that you could attract numbers similar to the Denver nationals in 09 which was if I recall correctly about 125 cars and ~230 people.

Moab can support that size group.

Could be doable with some help if there is enough interest
With all You are saying about everybody ideas and the great Ideas you have, I realy think you should organised the 2017 National.

For Moab Utah. I would do the drive from Montreal QC for this. It would worth it for sure. Never been there.

·
Super Moderator
15,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Moab is a location we visit twice a year with the club. Its great in the spring and fall because while its still cold and cloudy in Colorado, its warm and sunny without being hot yet.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
These are pictures taken on cruises to Moab. Most from the driver's seat. Beatiful views.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
A few more pics including a couple of the road to and stopped at Gateway resort and car museum

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,183 Posts
I've heard rumors......however, I shall not disclose :devil:

·
Registered
456 Posts
What is The exact GPS Geographic point of North America. That should be The place
Just a thought, but wouldn't if be more meaningful to plot the geographic center of Solstice owners?

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Just a thought but has any one considered Pontiac Michigan ? Yea I know the area has seen better days but I do the Dream Cruise and there is always a ton of stuff for a person to see and do plus if it's timed around the cruise it would make for a hell of a week .Another plus is once you get out of the city area there are some great country roads and for me you could not ask for a greater group of people they have always made me feel welcome .

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Moad is an area I visit regularly. Not my favorite place due to the weather. Very hot in July. April very nice. Some beautiful stuff in Utah, I like the Southwestern area better.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
We camp and ride mountain bikes at Navajo Lake, between, Bryce and Zion. Do trails at Brian Head, and the Virgin River Rim Trail. Beautiful country, but close at 10K, it makes it much nicer than Moab anytime during the summer. Nearest town is Cedar City, 25 miles west on Highway 14 if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
:eek:

Ummmm, wouldn't leave the car outdoors overnight at any hotel in Pontiac.
Stayed this year at the Marriot in Pontiac / Bloomfield and had absolutely no worries about the car apparently so did the owners of all the muscle ,collector,sports, and classic cars that filled the parking lot .I've been attending the cruise since 2010 and have stayed in a number of hotels in the area without any worries or problems .As with any larger older industrial city I agree they may not be the safest places but I'm talking about the surrounding areas ,just like the Dream Cruise is associated with Detroit it actually takes place in the surrounding suburbs . My guess is the estimated 40,000 car owners and 1 million people that attended this years event also felt the same way I did .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe 2017 is a year to plan a west coast national and an east coast national...then in 2018 do one towards the center, etc. It seems to me that the events draw pretty consistently---just plan and let folks choose. I suspect any and all will be successful because those who plan have always done great work. You are correct that the secret is getting people involved with the planning.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I attend the national events to enjoy the cars and go on the fabulous cruises. Pontiac MI may be a nice name but the city is not the kind of area I would ever like to plan a national. With national meets normally falling around the summer solstice there isn't a lot going on around Detroit area. Yes we have some fair country roads but nothing like the quality roads I've driven in the seven nationals I've attended. We tend to travel five miles to find a nice curve. Around Detroit suburbs there is way to much traffic and most areas north of Detroit is farmland and blocked in 1 mile squares. We find a few fair roads by following some River roads. When I think of 100 or more kappas venturing onto our normal cruises it doesn't seem possible. The upper part of the lower peninsula has the best roads and scenery but June is tourist season up there and difficult to get one room let alone hundreds. I agree with the many others that central locations for the Nationals seems to work out the best. I'm excited about the Ozarks. All this has been just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Mike you bring up some good points especially from someone in the area .I've always enjoyed Michigan even before I started attending the cruise to me there is a lot to do especially for someone interested in cars and once you get out of the city the countryside is beautiful .I like Wicked Lady's comment about having an event on one coast then the other the following year .

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
It isn't for us to decide location of the Nationals, east or west, but to be determined by a group willing to do all the work involved with organizing such events. Obviously we enjoy areas with great roads to take our beloved Kappas onto. Hopefully we continue having those willing to continue our yearly national events.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
There has and will be again soon more discussion about where a western Nationals should be held.
I thought there was mention awhile ago about someone trying to do Michigan or somewhere further back east as the 2017 location. Then having it back out west in 2018.
I have made the suggestion to our local PNWR members that someone around Moab should pick it up. I'm all for Rob's suggestion that Moab be the location. There are great roads and majestic scenery to make for great photo-ops. June would be a great time as the weather shouldn't be oppressive yet that early in the season. But are the Rocky Mtn club able and willing the tackle such a large task from their distance from the area. Maybe some of us from the PNWR or Phoenix groups could help in anyway we could.
First things first where is 2017 going to be held? Then Moab 2018 to give everyone out west a chance to coordinate such a meet!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts