Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like you folks that wanted to be the first on your block to own a Solstice have been "run though the gauntlet." My question to you is simple. What are your expectations concerning your new baby? Sure it's got a pretty face, but how do think you will feel about it 365 days after you first turn the key for the first time? This would have been a better poll, but I wanted to hear from those that got their order confirmed. I think we all here want to know about what owning this new car is going to be like. In addition to posting your expectations let us know how you are treated by your dealer, Pontiac, and or GM. What I mean here is; Are they keeping you updated on what is happening with your car with timely updates? Or are you just another customer?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, I am usually treated like gold at my dealer, but it is a smaller dealer outside of town (the local big dealer has horrible service) so they tend to treat everyone well, but my family has bought about 13 cars over the years from them (and referred plenty too), so I am an exception I guess. I think the smaller dealers care more about the customers and have a lot more to lose by offending someone.

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
Chip,
I do not think at the moment any one can tell you, even if you are confirmed it does not mean you will get one until GM/Pontiac calls you and tells you YES you can have the car, then it seems you may have to wait a long time for delivery, that is if Conejo148 is correct about the 4Q for the EOP cars.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I own a Miata. My expectations are that my Sol will perform better, have better interior finish and will be more comfortable of a ride than my Miata. My Sol will be my ride for at least the next five years so I've made my bed and now I have to sleep in it. My dealer was fantastic. They are extremely client orientated. I was number one on their list for the Sol so when three of their sales people tried to log onto GM's server, they all had my info in front of them. Once my order was placed they moved to the remaining four people on their list. There were no games played with orders or with walk-ins. I was the only one to get an order. The other four are on the waiting list. Three sales people had been dedicated to the Sol orders and had all of their calls held and had freed up their afternoon to dedicate their time to getting as many Sols for their customers as they could. It's easy to see why so many people have a strong allegance to a particular dealer. When they work as hard as they did yesterday to place orders, you don't jump ship and look for someplace else to buy your cars.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LatinVenom said:
Chip,
I do not think at the moment any one can tell you, even if you are confirmed it does not mean you will get one until GM/Pontiac calls you and tells you YES you can have the car, then it seems you may have to wait a long time for delivery, that is if Conejo148 is correct about the 4Q for the EOP cars.
Latin; I think you are right. I just wanted to get a feel for the effect that "this process" had on people. Are you getting one, or should I say do you think you will be getting one of the first 1000? I thought you were leaning towards the Sky? Good luck if your going for the 1K club. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I can't tell you a thing about the car, I never even saw one at the car shows due to a back injury and subsequent surgury. I'm buying this one purely off the internet. However I do expect it to look as good or better in person as it does in the photos and have typical GM quality, which strangely I'm ok with. I know it will perform well enough for me as it will be without question the best performing car I have ever owned. I have only owned collectables and practical cars before. My only question is about comfort in the driving position, but I am completely happy with the Miatas I have rented, so as long as it's close to that, I'm good.

My dealer experience so far has been hot and cold. When I was making initial calls to dealers about the EOP participation, I spoke with the GM and he was very nice and we spoke for sometime about it. The dealership gets big thumbs up for deciding to use an MSRP only attitude towards their regular allotment. I went down to put my deposit down, and delt with an assistant, who was nice enough, but didn't leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling and he did not feel the urgancy of the program. His attitude was, "I guess you can give me a deposit if you want, but I don't see why you need to."

I decided I only wanted to deal with the GM from then on. This was the tough part. I must have left about half a dozen voice mails with no answer. I eventually caught him on the phone and he said something like "I was planning on calling all you Solstice guys soon" Turns out he had my phone number wrong, but he never had tried to call. It was a good thing I kept at him. It got closer to 4/15 and I wanted to tallk about my order and the program, and if I could watch the DVD. Again, voice mail hell. So I drove down there when I knew he was there.

He was real nice, and I didn't bitch about being put off, so we got along well enough. He was still puzzled as to why I wanted to talk to him though. He then handed me off to the internet person who was going to be the one overseeing the ordering, and she was real nice and helpful. She answers her phone. The dealer still had no idea how big a deal this program was going to be. They kept telling me that I didn't need to come in, and we could do it by phone. I don't think so!

April 14th I went in to confirm my order was entered correctly and on April 15th I went down there early. I really think it helped. I was not the only one who did. They were deluged with last minute walk ins. The fact that many of us were standing around put pressure on them, that if no one had been there, I'm not sure they would have performed. They had no idea what this day was going to be like. Out here on the west coast, 11am is usually thier slow sit around and eat doughnuts time. When the server went down they were pulling hair out. Anyhow they were able to get two EOP cars and mine was one. The number one guy on their wait list got wait listed.

Over all, I give the dealership a positive review overall so far, but they need to work on their phone skills.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Sounds like you had a heck of an experience Aerodave! Congrats on getting a car! You certainly had to work for it!

I bet your experience was repeated all around the country! Nobody at Pontiac/GM seemed to realize just how much buzz this was going to create! They got surprised!

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
Chip said:
Latin; I think you are right. I just wanted to get a feel for the effect that "this process" had on people. Are you getting one, or should I say do you think you will be getting one of the first 1000? I thought you were leaning towards the Sky? Good luck if your going for the 1K club. :cheers:
Chip:
Let me start by saying this, I believe Ff88 a while back was asking a similar question, I am not sure if it was a poll, but I answered it by saying, the SKY was still my preference but I had not seen it in person, so my game plan was to go ahead and get the SOL and then, when I finally see the SKY in person, hopefully at the Nov Miami show, I can finally decided whether to keep the SOL or sell it and buy the SKY.
Now to answer your question, I think when GM/Pontiac calls me and he/she tells me I am verified then I will feel confident and post that I am the recipient of one of the 1st 1000's (1st 1000's retail orders).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts