Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Primus said:
lol, the pesky left side!!! I forgot the solstice had a left side. :p

thanks!
That's okay, the 2004 Grand Prix brochure has a picture of bare unibody with filler on right when on all built cars its on the left (mirror image to have car facing proper direction in brochure)

·
Registered
284 Posts
This is one of the few things that bother me about this car. It seems that most cars come with the filler on the left side nowadays though. If they have to put it on a side, the right hand side seems the best place to me. Personally I like my '79 Camaro because it has the filler directly in the middle of the back end. Oh well, small price to pay I guess.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
To each their own, but I don't understand why anyone would want the filler on the right side. Think about it, you pull up to the pump with the filler on the left (drivers side) you know exactly how far you are from the pump, you get out the driver's door and the pump and filler cap are right there. Its just automatic.

·
Registered
178 Posts
PAS22 said:
To each their own, but I don't understand why anyone would want the filler on the right side. Think about it, you pull up to the pump with the filler on the left (drivers side) you know exactly how far you are from the pump, you get out the driver's door and the pump and filler cap are right there. Its just automatic.
The advantage of it being on the right side is that you can pull up to a pump and tell your wife "honey, the filler is on your side, do you mind filling up the car?". :lol:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Wow, pumping your own gas? How inconvenient! You should all move to NJ where we have gas station attendants to do that kind of thing. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
dengel said:
Wow, pumping your own gas? How inconvenient! You should all move to NJ where we have gas station attendants to do that kind of thing. :crazy:
Everybody follow teh bouncing ball "You can trust your car to the man who wears the star...the big bright Texaco star." :lol: (showing my age, aren't I) How about the tiger tails we got to attach to the gas cap filler ("Put a tiger in your tank")

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
achieftain said:
Everybody follow teh bouncing ball "You can trust your car to the man who wears the star...the big bright Texaco star." :lol: (showing my age, aren't I) How about the tiger tails we got to attach to the gas cap filler ("Put a tiger in your tank")
I remember bugging my dad to get those orange plastic horseshoes to put on your bumper from the Gulf station. "put a kick in your car!"

·
Registered
66 Posts
The two cars I have now have the filler doors on opposite sides. About half the time I pull up to the pump on the wrong side. Nothing says "I'm a friggn' moron" like having to get back in your car and turn around in the gas station parking lot. :brentil:

With the filler on the left you don't have to walk around, however, you don't run the chance of banging your door on the cement pylons either.

·
Registered
284 Posts
chenslee said:
...however, you don't run the chance of banging your door on the cement pylons either.
This is the reason I prefer to have the filler in the back/right hand side. I mainly drive by myself or with my wife in the car so I always fill up the car. I hate having to fill up her car because it's on the left side. It's a lot easier and more convenient to just be able to pull up without having to worry about how close you are to the pump/concrete pylon.

I saw some doofus the other day pull up to the pump on the wrong side and then try to pull the hose OVER their car and fill it up. Needless to say they had to end up doing a 3-point-turn in the parking lot and pulling in on the correct side. The only time I ever pull up with the pump on the left side in my car is if I can't pull in the other way. I like it that my car is ambidextrous. The first thing that I do whenever I'm going to be driving someone else's car is make sure where the filler is. It's nice in most of the new cars I've been in they have an arrow pointing to where the filler is.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
chenslee said:
The two cars I have now have the filler doors on opposite sides. About half the time I pull up to the pump on the wrong side. Nothing says "I'm a friggn' moron" like having to get back in your car and turn around in the gas station parking lot. :brentil:
Usually with cars that have the filler on the left, you can actually see it in the side mirror. Another advantage of the left side. I too have vehicles with different sides and find it annoying, but end up checking with the mirror all the time except in my daily driver, which has the filler on the correct left side. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
achieftain said:
That's okay, the 2004 Grand Prix brochure has a picture of bare unibody with filler on right when on all built cars its on the left (mirror image to have car facing proper direction in brochure)
yes indeed it is on the left - as a matter of fact I filled up this morning!

·
Registered
178 Posts
My Alero has a small arrow below the gas guage to show which side to fill up. It has saved me from numerous enbarassments.

I might be in the minority, but I prefer to fill on the right side. It gives me an opportunity to do a walk around the car and see if everything is fine.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
jimfin1 said:
alright, has anyone been to an autoshow where they can actually sit in the solstice?
is it roomy?
People are not permitted to sit in the Solstice at this time at auto shows. If someone has gotten to it's by other methods.

·
Registered
5 Posts
auto show

I am going to the auto show at the Javitz Center today I hope to see the car there, why arent people allowed to sit in it?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
jimfin1 said:
I am going to the auto show at the Javitz Center today I hope to see the car there, why arent people allowed to sit in it?
These are pre-production cars that are not 100% finished. Also to prevent people from damaging them. There's only like 3-5 of them around the country. Also one of the main reasons is to keep people out of the areas they're not supposed to be allowed. Under the hood, in the trunk, messing with the cup holders, etc.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts