Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is old news and must have been posted before so I apologize to everyone who already read it but I just found this and was pretty impressed with Bob Lutz' comments. Maybe there will be a few others who haven't seen this yet. Complete article can be found at http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2005/07/qa_with_bob_lut.html

July 06, 2005
Q&A with Bob Lutz
The following is an interview with Bob Lutz that appears in the latest issue of Pontiac Performance magazine. (Visit www.myGMmagazine.com to sign up for a free one-year subscription.)

Q: You've often said that Pontiac is near to your heart. What is it about this brand and its image that draws you to it?

A: Its glorious history and its legitimate place in the GM brand lineup as an aggressive, performance-oriented brand, appealing to younger people who want a car or truck to be more than just transportation.

Q: Talk to us about Solstice and the impact you expect it to have on Pontiac's image. Will you buy one?

A: Let's start with the second question: Clearly, I've already placed an order for one, and very definitely intend to own a Solstice. I see Solstice as playing an image revitalization role for Pontiac, in that it's very hard to improve brand perceptions through advertising. The best way to change perceptions of a brand is through an iconic, breakthrough product like Solstice that captures everyone's attention. And I enjoy getting e-mails that say, "I never thought I would set foot in a Pontiac dealership but the Solstice is going to make me do it." That benefits the whole brand. In fact, Pontiac dealers are saying they're selling other cars because of people coming in for the Solstice, so it's already generating traffic.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also interesting is the following reader feedback on the blog, this guy is clueless. However, I do agree that the Pontiac name doesn't do anything to sell this car.

GM Management, you need to hire some L.A. scenester kids to clue you in to the current vibe. The Solstice will not be a hit, at least not with 20 somethings on the Coasts. No one wants a Pontiac--hello?; that sad sac name brand has to go. It sounds almost as old as Oldsmobile--speaking of which, who can believe the name of a car division ever contained the word "old"?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
So, how much do you think he has to pay for his Solstice. :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts