Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unbelievable. I've about had it. I got home tonight and received an email from Onstar saying that I had an emission issue. I found this odd because I haven't had a check engine light and the car has been running fine since they hacked my baby apart at the dealership and put the OEM converter back on it. It has had a rough idle, but nothing that I'm not used too. So I called Onstar and she said yes, my car was showing a "fuel delivery issue", code P2237. Can anyone tell me what this is and if it may have anything to do with my converter replacement? If so, me and the dealer are going to have some MAJOR issues!!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome to my hell of solstice ownership, GM service monkeys don't know the car and break more than they fix. I really feel for you man, I was happy when my warranty expired because I could use any mechanic or do the work myself and not have to worry about damage cause at the dealer. This was my first and last GM.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Unbelievable. I've about had it. I got home tonight and received an email from Onstar saying that I had an emission issue. I found this odd because I haven't had a check engine light and the car has been running fine since they hacked my baby apart at the dealership and put the OEM converter back on it. It has had a rough idle, but nothing that I'm not used too. So I called Onstar and she said yes, my car was showing a "fuel delivery issue", code P2237. Can anyone tell me what this is and if it may have anything to do with my converter replacement? If so, me and the dealer are going to have some MAJOR issues!!!!

Go here:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f59/p2237-code-gxp-35478/

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep...already saw that post. It didnt really answer my question though.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Others may have better advice but I suspect that there is an issue with your O2 sensor. They probably handled them when they R&R'd the cat. They could have damaged the cabling, damaged one of the sensors, contaminated one or...who knows what?

It should be covered under the rair warranty.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Or they left the extender on the downstream O2 sensor (that was probably installed when you had the HF Cat installed, to trick the ECM into reading cleaner and thereby avoid a CEL) and now maybe it is reading to far out of parameter the other direction with the OEM CAT and therefore assumes an O2 sensor has gone bad.

Not sure if the above scenario is even possible.
But if you are now running OEM CAT, you should be running OEM O2 sensor without the extender.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the odd part about all of this. I didn't get a CEL. Is it possible the dealer "drove" the car with the cat off when they were waiting for it to come in? Even if it was just out of his stall? And then forgot to clear the code? Or does OnStar only send you a notification when they detect said fault right away?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
A very real possibility they forgot to clear the code.

You can just drive for a couple weeks and see what happens. It will take several key cycles for a code to clear by itself, assuming the ECM is no longer detecting an issue.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
And for clarification ghost - when Rob mentions "cycle the power" he means disconnect the battery for 5-10 minutes then reconnect.

And to GS's point, the O2 sensor below the catalytic converter typically has an extender added when a hi-flow cat is installed. This moves the sensor out of the exhaust stream slightly to prevent a CEL. If it was left in when the dealer pimped you out of your Solo, you may well be getting a false code because of it. It should be a simple procedure to take it out and install the O2 sensor in it's "normal" position.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
From the SM
"The wide band heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) measures the amount of oxygen in the exhaust stream more quickly and accurately than the switching style HO2S. The wide band sensor consists of an oxygen sensing cell, an oxygen pumping cell, and a heater. The exhaust gas sample passes through a diffusion gap between the sensing cell and the pumping cell. The engine control module (ECM) supplies a signal voltage to the HO2S and uses this voltage as a reference to the amount of oxygen in the exhaust system. An electronic circuit within the ECM controls the pump current through the oxygen pumping cell in order to maintain a constant signal voltage. The ECM monitors the voltage variation on the signal circuit and attempts to keep the voltage constant by increasing or decreasing the amount of current flow or reversing the direction of the current flow to the pumping cell. By measuring the direction and amount of current required to maintain the signal voltage, the ECM can determine the concentration of oxygen in the exhaust. The signal voltage is displayed as a lambda value. A lambda value of 1 is equal to a stoichiometric air fuel ratio of 14.7:1. Under normal operating conditions, the lambda value will remain around 1. When the system is lean, the oxygen level will be high and the lambda value will be high, or more than 1. When the system is rich, the oxygen level is low and the lambda value will be low, or less than 1. The ECM uses this information to maintain the proper air/fuel ratio."

The code 2237 means the pump circuit is open. Likely a poor connection at the ECM or sensor.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I've gotten a couple cars back from being serviced that resulted in a CEL issue and all it ended up being was a loose connector. I learned the hard way to check all my connections first and then resort to replacing parts afterwards. And if you do decide to do a reset. make sure your inspection sticker isn't currently due as it will require several drive cycles before the shop can properly access the ECM. Good Luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts