Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly, I don't know what I'm going to do with myself... I very well may just sleep in my car. My wife is just going to have to live without me for a couple weeks.... she can visit me in the driveway any time she wants.

The FIRST thing I'm going to do when I get my car... I mean... the SECOND that my wheels touch public roads out of the stealership... I'm going to bounce the engine off it's 7000+ rpm redline and drop the clutch...

No break-in period for me....

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice (on Order!)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT (For sale!)
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 5-Speed
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 Auto
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 SE
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
82-T/A said:
No break-in period for me....
:leaving: Not sure I would be bouncing off the redline on a green engine, but I can understand how the wait to get the car has been excruciatingly long!

That is quite a driveway full of iron you have already! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Easy there... 82-T/A :lol:

I think we all need some therapy. My wife doesn't like me on this PC this much :leaving:

·
Registered
139 Posts
i know that all the companies make it well known that you should break in your engine, but dont all these engines go through thorough testing at the plants before they are put in new cars?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fformula88 said:
:leaving: Not sure I would be bouncing off the redline on a green engine, but I can understand how the wait to get the car has been excruciatingly long!

That is quite a driveway full of iron you have already! :thumbs:

Thanks.....

Oh man, I know it won't be the fastest car on the street, and I know that the 2007 model will be much quicker... but I just can't wait to get the car. I never see 67 Camaro owners complaining because they don't have a 68.

If the Solstice is any amount as fun as the Fiero is... then I'll be as happy as a pig in..... well, you know.

I see you have a Fiero too!

Speaking of bouncing off red-lines... I used to own a 1985 Fiero GT 4-Speed. The car was a total rat... it had 143k miles on it when I bought it. The bottom end of the block was original... the only thing that had been done with it was new head gaskets (heads had been decked), and the previous owner swapped in a 4.10:1 4-Speed from a 4 cyl cavalier to replace the stock 3.65:1 4-speed.

I put 20 thousand miles on the car, and ended up making $200 bucks more than what I originally paid for it! haha..

Anyway, in my less mature years... I had the car... I was showing off to my previous girlfriend (who for some reason was impressed by these immature displays of power)... we were in the Fiero and I dropped the clutch at about 6,000 rpms. With the 4.10s... and an unlimited slip differential, the car never actually gained traction... so my rear left tire was just going up in smoke... the car actually started to side-step to the right... so I eased up on the gas just a tad and the car shot forward like a bat out of hell...

Man, I loved that car....

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to get this car. To tell the truth.... I'm probably going to pamper the car until I know for a fact that it's broken in. I'll probably run regular Castrol 5W-30 for the first 500 miles, change the oil with more fresh 5W-30 Castrol regular oil... and then I'll switch to Redline Full Synthetic and change it every 3k miles.

I really REALLY hope that this car becomes a breakthrough for Pontiac....

I mean, of all the car companies out there, Pontiac really seems to offer the kind of vehicles that I actually want to buy....

I'm tired of performance sedans....

Of all the car companies to debut this new car, I'm thrilled that Pontiac was given the opportunity... there's no other company in GM that deserves to have a REAL sports car than Pontiac.

Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice (on Order!)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT (For sale!)
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 5-Speed
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 Auto
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 SE
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

·
Registered
61 Posts
82-T/A said:
I'm tired of performance sedans....

Of all the car companies to debut this new car, I'm thrilled that Pontiac was given the opportunity... there's no other company in GM that deserves to have a REAL sports car than Pontiac.
Couldn't agree more. GO pontiac!!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Great story! Sounds like those gears really helped give it a little more kick, although I have always felt Fieros were pretty quick from a stop anyway. I have had a lot of fun in manual Fieros myself, but my 88 Formula that I have now is an automatic. It is still fun in a different way. No more fighting with the hydraulic clutch!

I have a feeling the Solstice will be as much, and probably more fun than the Fiero is! At least, it looks to be on paper. A little more power, estimated acceleration times that are quicker, bigger, meatier tires (although I have 17’s on my Formula now), and of course a top you can get rid of!

PS, that isn’t my Fiero in my sig. It is a very cool convertible conversion I snapped a pic at when I was at the 20th anniversary event in Detroit.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
All I remember about my Fiero SE is when one of the bolts holding the exhaust manifold (which was located between the firewall and the engine) fell out, and they had to lower the engine (it came out through the bottom of the car) to replace it.
The Solstice looks like it will be a dream to work on in comparison.
:)

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
flaj said:
All I remember about my Fiero SE is when one of the bolts holding the exhaust manifold (which was located between the firewall and the engine) fell out, and they had to lower the engine (it came out through the bottom of the car) to replace it.
The Solstice looks like it will be a dream to work on in comparison.
:)
If you thought that was an ugly procedure, you should have checked out a clutch replacement! Your head literraly would have ~~~> :brentil:

:lol:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
A fiero clutch replacement isn't really THAT bad - so long as you have the equipment.

Just a word of advice, though. The stock clutch disk is really a pretty darn good one. I tried two others, ones that were supposed to be improved compressibility and reduced chatter... the friction material was riveted on instead of bonded like the stock clutch disc.

They do NOT like to be overrevved. Quite a surprise to head into your garage, push in the clutch and have the car keep chugging right into the garage and into the back wall before you get a chance to key off. What a HELPLESS feeling :eek:

It's even worse when this happens the night before practice for a weekend race :rolleyes:

With the equipment (engine hoist, know all the tools you need, etc.) and not counting the AC recharging, it is easily possible to drop the motor, get a new clutch disc in, and reassemble it in about 5 hours - six if you stop for a bite to eat (for an '88 formula)

If you do it right, you don't even need new coolant. :thumbs:

You can get it down to 4 hours in and out if you have removed the AC.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
A fiero clutch replacement isn't really THAT bad - so long as you have the equipment.

Just a word of advice, though. The stock clutch disk is really a pretty darn good one. I tried two others, ones that were supposed to be improved compressibility and reduced chatter... the friction material was riveted on instead of bonded like the stock clutch disc.

They do NOT like to be overrevved. Quite a surprise to head into your garage, push in the clutch and have the car keep chugging right into the garage and into the back wall before you get a chance to key off. What a HELPLESS feeling :eek:

It's even worse when this happens the night before practice for a weekend race :rolleyes:

With the equipment (engine hoist, know all the tools you need, etc.) and not counting the AC recharging, it is easily possible to drop the motor, get a new clutch disc in, and reassemble it in about 5 hours - six if you stop for a bite to eat (for an '88 formula)

If you do it right, you don't even need new coolant. :thumbs:

You can get it down to 4 hours in and out if you have removed the AC.
:glol: I think I could find a darn good mechanic that would also say "it really isn't that bad." However, I also know he would really mean "I never want to see that car again!." :glol:

My uncle has replaced the clutch in my father's 85 SE (V6) twice, and did not find it the easiest part to replace! He has full tools, a lift, etc. He has gotten good at getting it out, without completely taking the car apart.

The first clutch was one of those "improved" ones, and it didn't last for him either. So the latest one he went back to a stock clutch. So far so good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts