Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my car back from having the ignition switch recall done. Noticed something different behind the front wheel. Looked down and what do you know, both front fenders crushed.

:brentil:Wow, this was a Buick dealer that used to also sell Pontiac. I thought I was in good hands. Why did they need to jack it up in the first place? I guess the technician didn't want to lay on the ground.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
No lifting needed. Someone left their brains at home. I got away with an iffy cruise control.

·
Registered
221 Posts
When that happened to my GXP it had nothing to do with being jacked up. If the tech drives it into his service bay and does not have the hoist arms moved out of the wheels path, the front wheel goes over the arm and then the arm crushes your fender when it rolls down off of the other side. I pointed it out to the service manager right away and they replaced my fender. Good luck with yours.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Good info, Goat67!

·
Registered
221 Posts
It happens more at the tire shop than the dealerships. I remind shops about this before they do anything to my car, and I check both fenders before I leave.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Unfortunately, there are far too many stories like this one where GM dealerships' shops damage Solstices taken in for service. It's like the mechanics know noting about the special jacking support points, or in some other cases simply don't care. I suspect they are highly motivated to get the cars turned around quickly (i.e., get 'em out with as little time spent on them as possible) with little or no incentive to treat the customer's car with TLC. (JMHO.)

I try to avoid taking my Solstice to the GM (ex-Pontiac) dealer for service whenever I can. Because of the horror stories I read on this forum, on the few occasions when I must take it to the dealer, before I turn the keys over, using my cell phone camera, in the presence of the service writer or service manager, I take pictures of my car, front , back, both sides, all four quarters, and several of the inside. I then point out to the writer that there is no damage, scratches. etc. to my car except ones he might point out.

I have an appointment to have the ignition switch recall replacement done in a couple weeks. I read on another thread here where the dealership trashed a guys steering column in the process of replacing the switch. I'm leery of letting GM's seemingly untrained mechanics mess with my car.

·
Registered
756 Posts
That's why I always go to a dealer that sells Cadillac now for stuff like this. The Chevrolet dealer I bought my Sol from was plain garbage, so was the Pontiac dealer that I bought my G6 from.

Can't beat a full open window overlooking the shop, free Wi-Fi, charging stations and actual coffee, at the other dealers all you get is sometimes a chair and always a bunch of rude service reps who's just there to deny warranty claims and sell you service you don't need.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stopped by the dealership today to show them the damage. Of course several rounds of denial, telling me they don't need to lift the car and their lifts do not require you to drive over the lifting arms.

Don't know what happened in the back room conversation,but they came out and said they would take care of the damage, as if they were doing me a favor.

I was ready to ask for the video footage of them driving my car in until it drove out. We will see how it goes from here.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Given that there are always new members joining this group, I wonder if there is a relatively easy way to make some important information -- things that have come up here before, and may do so on a recurring basis -- available in a way that anyone can find it fairly easily?

Or maybe that already exists?

For example, this current thread about the damage that can be done to our cars -- even by service techs at GM-family dealers. And, maybe more importantly, exactly what action causes the damage -- what to do and what not to do, how to do certain things, what to tell the service department to do or not do, etc..

As soon as the parts arrive, I'll take my Solstice in for the ignition switch recall work -- and in spite of the post that started this thread, and those that have followed, I really don't know exactly what caused "bobbob160"s fenders to be crushed, what to ask my service tech to do (or not do), etc..

It sounds like there are some specific issues related to jacking the car up, and as someone who'll also be putting new tires on my car "soon", I'm now concerned about damage potential when I have that done, too.

I, for one, greatly appreciate the experience of fellow members of this forum and their willingness to share that experience with others. HOWEVER, sometimes people who already know things discuss those things in ways that can sometimes be like a foreign language to those who don't know them yet -- even including the use of acronyms the experienced members understand, but whose meaning is unknown to others.

So I guess this is both a specific request -- about jacking issues -- as well as a more general one that applies to a lot of cautions, advice, and so on.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
There are specific jacking points on our cars (there is a post showing these) and many of us use some type of "puck" when we lift the car . I use hockey pucks but they do sell items that are specially made for this purpose Performance Auto Werks sells a Katech jacking puck and E bay has sellers that have BMW jacking pads that work. I'm taking my car in for the recall and before it leaves my site I will make the service advisor aware of this issue and also have him or her look at the car to show that my fenders have no damage on them with all the problems that fellow members have had with their cars I feel you can't be too careful

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Sorry to hear about this bobbob160. Sounds like the dealership is admitting culpability by taking responsibility.

Post like this always make me wonder how folks are satisfied with the color matching aspect of the repair? Along w/my continued paranoia about taking the Sols to a dealership.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Last time I took my Solstice in I showed them the GM diagram and explained the entire procedure to the mechanic. He got all pissed off and indignant and said "We ARE the DEALER. We only do this EVERY DAY".

A-hole.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I got new tires, I told the mechanics. When I got my inspections, I told the mechanics. When I get an ignition replaced, that doesn't need to be lifted, at a GM Dealer that formally sold Pontiac's, I thought it would be unnecessary.

My mistake, next time, everyone that gets my keys gets the speech.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I took mine in last week for the ignition replacement, they said they would not need to lift the car. But they also did a multi point inspection, one was brake pad wear, can they do that without lifting and removing a wheel? When I saw the report I checked my fenders before leaving the service bay, my fenders were fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anyone have a picture of what these damaged fenders look like? I haven't taken mine in yet... I'm very nervous about leaving my car in someone else's hands, and want to know what to be aware of before doing so.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a small example:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/dealer-damaged-fender-lift-73113/

Each one will be different depending on where the lift arms contact the body. On mine, it was very unnoticeable from the side, but WOW, when you looked underneath. Imagine them taking a hydraulic ram and pushing it into the body of the car 2"...which is essentially what they did.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys, I'm kinda new and thinking about getting a solstice. What's this about lifting the car and dents? Is there a specific way to lift or something? What is it? Thanks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts