Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
"Official" intro is Fall 05. I take that to mean September 22, 2005.

[soapbox]

It would be smart (if they really need all that time) to try to get it introduced on June 21 - with the first vehicle sold exactly on the summer Solstice, (but the marketing people probably wouldn't get it), as a kind of surprise while still promising a fall introduction.

Best case scenario is if they can pull it ahead to spring 05 (April or earlier) but don't hold your breath. There's a bunch of stuff that has to happen to a brand new architecture - even if the plant can get up and running and all designs are finalized and parts and subsystems are properly tested.

Something internal (meaning something we would never hear about) like a failed "durability" test or crash test could easily throw a few months into the design/development process while unexpected failures are fixed.

We all need to keep in mind that fall of 2005 is still blindingly fast for a ground-up brand-new platform. Not just for GM but for ANY AUTOMOBILE MANUFACTURER. Any earlier deserves a standing ovation.

I find it interesting that there's these rumors of earlier introduction, but you can never find a GM source that is willing to positively admit anything earlier than autumn of 05.

When have you ever heard of a vehicle that was "early"?

Conversely, how many times have there been "late" vehicles that were hyped?

RnR, I hope you are right, but again only if the car is done by summer of 05. I don't want to buy some piece of s**t that was rushed just because everyone wants one. Late as it was, I think GM did the right thing with the SSR - fixing the truck as much as possible at the expense of an absolute "on-time" introduction.

Remember the quote from AutoWeek article about cake batter? Take a cake out early before it's done baking and all you have is half-baked batter that can't be re-cooked into anything more than garbage-disposal fodder. Even the dog won't eat it.

[/soapbox]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree w/ everything you said, but wouldn't it be genius if they released it before the summer, so we can actually boot around in it during the summer.

My dilema is this:
I drive a huge truck, and the gas is killing me. I only need a 2 seater, and the solstice is my answer. However, if I have to wait over a full year for it, I will probably have to buy another car, and my dream of a solstice is gone.
Come on pontiac, do it for all the cool people who vannot afford a porshe, but have style.

·
Registered
179 Posts
solsticeman said:
I find it interesting that there's these rumors of earlier introduction, but you can never find a GM source that is willing to positively admit anything earlier than autumn of 05.
When I recieved my GM credit card about 2 months ago, it came with a postcard advertisement for the Solstice (i stuck it on my wall behind my computer). It stated "Coming Summer 2005". That is the only source I have EVER heard speak at all of a release date prior to the fall.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey, RocknRoll, just spend a few bucks to buy something secondhand that only needs to last you about a year, then you won't lose out on the Solstice.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
We might wish it could come out like, tommorow or something, but the truth is it takes a good amount of time to develope a new platform, a new car and a new assembly line. I would say that GM has a better idea about how long it will take to get the Solstice to the showroom than we do. A summer release next year might just not be possible.

I'm sure they have thought about the weather, and the fact that it's a convertable roadster, and said "gee, wouldn't it be nice to have this in spring or summer next year", but sometimes things just don't go as fast as you'd like. If your GM, your options might just be sell it in fall '05 or wait until spring '06. I personaly would rather have fall '05.

I think it's also important for them to get this all new car right from the start, and not rush it. I would rather wait than have to suffer endless recalls. It'll come when it comes, no sense worrying about it.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
naoki said:
When I recieved my GM credit card about 2 months ago, it came with a postcard advertisement for the Solstice (i stuck it on my wall behind my computer). It stated "Coming Summer 2005". That is the only source I have EVER heard speak at all of a release date prior to the fall.
True, that's the only public date we've seen for dates prior to fall but someone in thsi group spoke to a friend in GM and a few other sources like that lean toward early summer 05. It's always better to exceed your target date than delay so GM will wait until it's a given then release the news at the end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll bet its release will be On the Solstice ( June 14? 2005) I think thats the day of the Solstice.

But, boy it would be nice to have it in the spring of 2004.

Also, do we know anything about its safety? side air bags? abs brakes? etc...?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dealerships

just out of curiousity, has anybody spoken to their local dealership?
The ones in Vancouver canada have no clue about the car. Way more info here than at the dealership.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rocknroll said:
just out of curiousity, has anybody spoken to their local dealership?
The ones in Vancouver canada have no clue about the car. Way more info here than at the dealership.
hello r & r, yes, i asked our local dealer here in ca, he said i will be the first in our area to order one, one of the sons of the dealership is going to get one as well, no word on when i can put my deposit down yet, i hope soon, what color is the big choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had one pontiac dealership say it will be in the 20 ooo +something canadian, than another dealer say it will be 30K + in canadian dollars. Does anybody have insight on this issue. I've read contrasting statements on this, also, some pickups are cheaper in canada than in the us. Pls post if you know anything,
Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Rocknroll said:
I had one pontiac dealership say it will be in the 20 ooo +something canadian, than another dealer say it will be 30K + in canadian dollars. Does anybody have insight on this issue. I've read contrasting statements on this, also, some pickups are cheaper in canada than in the us. Pls post if you know anything,
Thanks
Base price is rumored to be $20,000 USD so using a currency converter it's
20,000.00 USD United States Dollars = 27,172.88 CAD Canada Dollars
This is of course a base price before additional options.

Converter Link:
http://www.xe.com/ucc/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts