Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

I am going to leave my car for the winter with a car cover on it. I can remove the radio ant OK but what about that little vertical On-Star antenna on the trunk lid. Does it screw off like the radio ant or what, if it can be removed at all?

Thanks Don

·
Registered
292 Posts
1st mod I did. Was to removed for good.
From inside the trunk underside the liner.
1. To 10. A 3.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Why bother - it won't get in the way of the cover?

In any case, I believe it leaves holes in the bodywork, so you'd have to stick it back on or fill the holes.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi:

I am going to leave my car for the winter with a car cover on it. I can remove the radio ant OK but what about that little vertical On-Star antenna on the trunk lid. Does it screw off like the radio ant or what, if it can be removed at all?

Thanks Don
Why bother removing either one?

The On-Star/ XM antenna won't bother the cover at all. For the regular radio antenna, just cut a small "X" (1/2 inch by 1/2 inch) in the car cover at the antenna location and thread the antenna through it when you put the cover on.

I did it to my cover 3 years ago and it's working fine. Won't hurt the cover and saves the bother of finding a wrench/removing/replacing the antenna twice a year.

Just my :jm2c:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Leave the antenna in place. Get a tennis ball, styrofoam ball, or something similar and poke a hole in it, place it over the antenna. I also do this with the stubby radio antenna.
Cheap and easy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise. I was worried that the little shark fin thing might poke a hole in the cover, so I like the tennis ball solution.

Thanks again, Don from Nanaimo

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Thanks for the advise. I was worried that the little shark fin thing might poke a hole in the cover, so I like the tennis ball solution.
Uh - the tennis ball wasn't for the shark fin (which just lays there and doesn't move nor wear anything, BTW) it was for the tip of the radio antenna.

·
Super Moderator
7,541 Posts
wspohn : Uh - the tennis ball wasn't for the shark fin (which just lays there and doesn't move nor wear anything, BTW) it was for the tip of the radio antenna.
I don't think so. The radio antenna is too tall for the tennis ball treatment. It is best to cut the hole for it as mentioned earlier. The shark fin is too short to keep the cover in place if a hole is cut for it, so the tennis ball keeps it from wearing a hole in the cover and also prevents the weight of a wet cover from bending the shark fin.

The only antenna that wouldn't require any protection is the patch antenna without the shark fin.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
You may be right, John, but....

The shark fin wouldn't need any protection - it wouldn't wear the cover. The ball on top of the radio antenna would prevent it puncturing the cover, always assuming that there was enough material in the cover for it to cover the ball on top of the antenna.

Or just cut the hole in the cover for the radio antenna and forget about the Onstar antenna - it isn't tall and it doesn't have sharp edges anyway. And I'm not sure how you'd persuade a cut open tennis ball to stay on one.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts

The shark fin wouldn't need any protection - it wouldn't wear the cover. The ball on top of the radio antenna would prevent it puncturing the cover, always assuming that there was enough material in the cover for it to cover the ball on top of the antenna.

Or just cut the hole in the cover for the radio antenna and forget about the Onstar antenna - it isn't tall and it doesn't have sharp edges anyway. And I'm not sure how you'd persuade a cut open tennis ball to stay on one.
Remember on the verts that there's little tail that sticks up from what is our XM antenna. I'm guessing this tail is 2-3 inches tall. I'm thinking this is what they are talking about protecting with the ball.

·
Registered
249 Posts

My car was parked outdoors. I used to simply remove the radio antenna (before I switched to a stubby version) then toss on the cover and tie it down. Since the car was outside and subject to wind, snow, etc the "sharkfin" wore a hole in the cover as did the "stubby".
It's true that the antennae don't move but the cover can/does.

When I got a new cover I decided to use tennis balls on both the antennae, very inexpensive protection.
Even though I now have indoor parking, I still use the tennis balls just in case.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Interesting. I use clear plastic to cover cars, either on its own or with a car cover under it and never have any wear issues.

·
Super Moderator
7,541 Posts
wspohn : ..... Or just cut the hole in the cover for the radio antenna and forget about the Onstar antenna - it isn't tall and it doesn't have sharp edges anyway. And I'm not sure how you'd persuade a cut open tennis ball to stay on one.
The coupe and convertible have different antennae. The coupe (from what I have seen) is long and rather blade-shaped. The convertible has more of a spike. The coupe's antenna probably wouldn't cause a problem, and probably won't hold a tennis ball. The convertible's certainly could, and can.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Hadn't realized that the convertible antennae were sharp enough to cause wear, thanks for pointing that out. I suppose another solution might be to fit a coupe antenna - common to lots of gm cars. Not sure if that would affect reception much.

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
Hang on guys. The convertible has the XM (wart) and Onstar (sharkfin) combined into a single unit on the trunk. The coupe has the xm wart on the roof, and the onstar antenna is on the windshield. It wouldn't be easy (or cheap) to switch.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to clarify my concerns, yes it is the on star shark fin on the trunk deck that has me worried, or did. I have sliced into a tennis ball to fit over the shark fin, so hopefully that will work. The radio antenna I will simply remove. I have seen some cars with the XM radio ant without the on star shark fin. That's what got me thinking the shark fin could be removed from the XM part.

Don

1 - 18 of 18 Posts