Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
[HERE] go read the edmunds.com review. It gives pretty much all the known answers we have for the solstice about production information, and your questions too.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
OnStar has been one big cash cow for GM, so I would imagine they will try to make it at least optional on every new car they offer. No reason not to really, since the hardware in the car is cheap and people are willing to pay the monthy charges for it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, only the Solstice Concept had the screen. The production model from all the images we've seen doesn't have one.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
XLER8ER said:
Onstar doesn't use a screen
Yeah, I know. I was just answering wezzrocks' question about the production model of the Solstice not having the screen in the dash the Solstice Concept has.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
padgett said:
And where are the cupholders ? Gotta have at least two per person.
Two per person?? Is that one hot and one cold? I would think one per person would be enough, particulary with the limited amout of realestate. I believe cupholders are very improtant though. I really hope they don't blow it and not ptu them in. Welcome back! Haven't seen you here in awhile. :cheers

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Yellatec said:
OnStar = Propaganda Crap! Get a Cell Phone.

Just my .02
How much is Onstar? Even cell phones cost a decent amount, even if you don't use them. For many people, On-Star might be a handy feature. Plus your car will call On-Star for help if a Ford F-150 hits you head on. Your cell phone will not.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Here are all the things OnStar does for you. I've highlighted in black what you can do with just a cell phone and being coherent enough to dial.

OnStar, 1-year Safe & Sound Service, includes automatic notification of air bag deployment, emergency services, roadside assistance, stolen vehicle tracking, AccidentAssist, remote door unlock, remote diagnostics, online concierge and remote horn and lights.
I guess 2 out of 9 is better then 0 out of 9. However your cell phone can dial assistance it doesn't come with free assistance that OnStar does. The exact position of your stolen vehicle can be triangulated via OnStar. I find that to be a very useful feature. It wont stop a pro who knows how to disbale OnStar, but any other punk kid taking your car for a joy ride will get busted fast. Also if you're knocked unconscious your cell phone is pretty useless. And it goes to 0 of 9.

A year of OnStar comes with it when you purchase the option on a car. The Pontiac G6 is $695. However some of the cars come with it standard like the Grand Prix. It then costs $16 a month ($192 a year) after the first free year. You can use it like a cell phone too if you want, but that costs extra. Having OnStar also gives you an insurance deduction.

Also if you go with GMAC insurance and live in Arizona, Indiana, Illinois and Pennsylvania (and soon more states) and if you drive less then 15,000 miles a year and have OnStar you can sign up for Pay-As-You-Drive (PAYD) Auto Insurance which uses OnStar to tell them your exact mileage. Based on how many miles you drive you can get upto a 40% discount on your insurance then.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Yellatec said:
I guess that was a hasty post on my part. I didn't know it did all of that for you. Thanks for the info. :smile

don't feel bad. I was suspicious when they first introduced it too! It does have a lot of cool features! Nothing against the good ‘ole cell phone, but OnStar is something GM is doing that is right! It makes them tons of money and is very nice to have if you ever need any of their services.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts