Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to put the Mean Machine into an early winter hibernation. Makes it easier having two. Have done as follows:

1) Full tank of gas.
2) Fuel Stabel in the tank
3) Drove her up onto these pieces of cut truck tire that my pal Harley got me. He is in the tire biz. This stops the concrete floor from taking the moisture out of the tire during the 6 month snooze. Thanks Harley!:thumbs::thumbs:
4) Disconnected battery. Noticed even with a new battery since I got the Kenwood Head Unit it was losing its charge over time during storage.
5) GM cover on....cry:crying: and then stare at the Coupe and I am ok. Will park the Coupe based on the weather in early November.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a close up of one of the tire pieces. Have a set for the Coupe when she goes sleepy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My beauties together. One sleepin' and one still rockin!

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Decided to put the Mean Machine into an early winter hibernation. Makes it easier having two. Have done as follows:

1) Full tank of gas.
2) Fuel Stabel in the tank
3) Drove her up onto these pieces of cut truck tire that my pal Harley got me. He is in the tire biz. This stops the concrete floor from taking the moisture out of the tire during the 6 month snooze. Thanks Harley!:thumbs::thumbs:
4) Disconnected battery. Noticed even with a new battery since I got the Kenwood Head Unit it was losing its charge over time during storage.
5) GM cover on....cry:crying: and then stare at the Coupe and I am ok. Will park the Coupe based on the weather in early November.
Looking good. I use 8 carpet sample squares (stacked in pairs with the padding facing away from each other) under the tires. If you get bored, maybe check into the head unit's power management-some radios keep their Bluetooth on as long as there's power to the yellow & black wires, even though the red ign. is dead when the car is turned off. Maybe the BT can be turned off manually?
If the unit has an IR or RF remote that includes an on/off Power button, the head unit uses a little power for the remote receiver function, i.e. staying awake waiting for instructions from the remote.
I run into this a lot with motorcycle applications, since they often sit for weeks and have much smaller battery capacities.

·
Super Moderator
15,940 Posts
Strange as it may seem, we are getting weather in the mid 70s this weekend so the cars will be out running around again.

I park on racedeck so no worries about concrete but that is good to know.:dthumbs:

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking good. I use 8 carpet sample squares (stacked in pairs with the padding facing away from each other) under the tires. If you get bored, maybe check into the head unit's power management-some radios keep their Bluetooth on as long as there's power to the yellow & black wires, even though the red ign. is dead when the car is turned off. Maybe the BT can be turned off manually?
If the unit has an IR or RF remote that includes an on/off Power button, the head unit uses a little power for the remote receiver function, i.e. staying awake waiting for instructions from the remote.
I run into this a lot with motorcycle applications, since they often sit for weeks and have much smaller battery capacities.
Thanks Bill. Will have to leave as is right now as we got a 9 week old Jack Russell puppy. He is a firecracker, therefore I have no time at all. Maybe when he gets through puppy hood I can dig into this.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Strange as it may seem, we are getting weather in the mid 70s this weekend so the cars will be out running around again.

I park on racedeck so no worries about concrete but that is good to know.:dthumbs:
Agree. I had no idea. Always great when you can get info / advice from someone in the biz.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Coupe

Put the Ace of Spades to sleep today. The Spring is a long way away.:crying:
Oh well. They are both warm and safe and I am not putting any miles on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Due to internal resistance, even disconnected batteries will self-discharge. IMHO, a battery tender (not a trickle charger) is the way to go. Plus it's easier to hook up a tender rather than actually disconnect the battery. It appeals to my lazy nature! :laugh:

And yeah, put my '09 GXP down for its long winter nap today. The usual drill -- top off the tank, fuel stabilizer, battery tender, oil change, add air to the tires, use Bounce (tm) fabric softener sheets to hopefully repel mice, wash and put on cover, change insurance to Comprehensive only and suspended OnStar until spring. 73 degrees today (11/1), but here in southeast Michigan we already had a (very) few snow flurries a week ago.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Due to internal resistance, even disconnected batteries will self-discharge. IMHO, a battery tender (not a trickle charger) is the way to go. Plus it's easier to hook up a tender rather than actually disconnect the battery. It appeals to my lazy nature! :laugh:

And yeah, put my '09 GXP down for its long winter nap today. The usual drill -- top off the tank, fuel stabilizer, battery tender, oil change, add air to the tires, use Bounce (tm) fabric softener sheets to hopefully repel mice, wash and put on cover, change insurance to Comprehensive only and suspended OnStar until spring. 73 degrees today (11/1), but here in southeast Michigan we already had a (very) few snow flurries a week ago.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...
I hear you on the tender. I am in a condo. The parking spots have no electrical outlet that I can plug a tender into.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Ditto on storage, even though it's 70 today which is unusual for lower MI this time of the year (must not mention climate change). Cars washed, tanks filled, Stabil added, tires checked for inflation along w/fluids. I will be picking up dryer sheets for the interior, and mothballs for the engine bay and under the car. I also have to buy another battery tender since I drove over one of them this spring (don't ask).

All in all it's been a very nice driving season, and while we didn't drive the coupe that much this year, we did cruise around town in the vert on the weekends. Chances are I'll be watching a lot of Kappa videos in the coming months.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ditto on storage, even though it's 70 today which is unusual for lower MI this time of the year (must not mention climate change). Cars washed, tanks filled, Stabil added, tires checked for inflation along w/fluids. I will be picking up dryer sheets for the interior, and mothballs for the engine bay and under the car. I also have to buy another battery tender since I drove over one of them this spring (don't ask).

All in all it's been a very nice driving season, and while we didn't drive the coupe that much this year, we did put around town in the vert on the weekends. Chances are I'll be watching a lot of Kappa videos in the coming months.
Looking forward to meeting you in person one day Chop. We are moving to Windsor, Ontario this spring. Hopefully the Michigan Kappa club will be ok with a 2 Sol Canuck joining up?

·
Super Moderator
15,940 Posts
So here is a suggestion. Get a battery, charge it and once a week use it to drive a battery tender to top off your car batteries. I use this method at car shows and it works well.

·
Super Moderator
15,940 Posts
I use a deep draw marine battery and a standard tender with a converter.

The car when operating properly and "off" draws continuous but small current. Hitting it with a booster shot every few days will keep it charged and happy.

I actually run three batteries on Punisher. The main battery is a yellow top and is on its own tender. A second deep draw battery, about half the physical size of the main battery is installed in the trunk and is tied to the dual security systems. It too is on its own tender. The third battery is "portable". It generally lives in a storage cabinet connected to its own battery tender and plugs into the "show" power plug that deploys from the rear of the car when needed. This battery can be used to drive the show lights, of which there are many, or can drive the battery tender for either of the two installed batteries. In addition, I have two super quiet portable generators that I use to charge any of the above mentioned batteries as needed. It will run in eco mode for most of a day so I can connect the battery tender and just leave the genny running through the day and pick it up at night. I have security cables and locks so when in unattended mode I can lock it to one of the wheels and not worry about it getting legs. I bought the latest one from Newegg for half the normal retail price, slightly over $300 US. Its designed to plug into your camper and run your computers and lights 24/7 without making much noise

·
Registered
4,927 Posts

All in all it's been a very nice driving season, and while we didn't drive the coupe that much this year, we did cruise around town in the vert on the weekends. Chances are I'll be watching a lot of Kappa videos in the coming months.
Sunny skies forecasted for this weekend Chop! I'm sure the wife and I will be driving SOMEWHERE. Then I'll be topping off the tank and adding the stabilizer on the way home. Pretty sure we're not getting too many more driving days this year . . .

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Looking forward to meeting you in person one day Chop. We are moving to Windsor, Ontario this spring. Hopefully the Michigan Kappa club will be ok with a 2 Sol Canuck joining up?
Same here NS. But chances are it won't be until next years MKC Woodward Dream Cruise. For whatever reason I wasn't in the mood to go to any car shows or MKC events this year.

BTW, I'm not sure you're a MKC member but you might want to check into it if you aren't because they have several drives during the driving season. TTYL

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Sunny skies forecasted for this weekend Chop! I'm sure the wife and I will be driving SOMEWHERE. Then I'll be topping off the tank and adding the stabilizer on the way home. Pretty sure we're not getting too many more driving days this year . . .
CW, when I got home from work yesterday I was so-o-o-o-o tempted to go for a ride. But I canceled my insurance Monday (kept comprehensive for storage) and my insurance company gets pissy (Allstate) if I make changes before 30 days. So all I could do was back it outside and wipe it down again.

Ah well, if you do go for a ride wave at me when you drive by. I'll be the guy standing in front of the picture widow crying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts