Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now had my Solstice for a little over a month. Here are some of my thoughts.

Everyone thinks this is a fancy car that cost $40,000 or more. I got a "your fancy little sports car" line from someone driving a new Prius V that cost way more than this did even when it was new.

I have put around 2,000 miles on it in a single month.

I got my old Saturn back from the shop and it seems all wrong now. The interior seems huge and hollow. Everything seems far away. The steering seems a bit floppy. The whole car seems wobbly and creaky. The driving position seems all wrong. The whole things seems...flobbery How did I get so unused to a car that I have driven for over 100,000 miles? I have forgotten the trick for the Saturn's iffy ignition switch too. I had a time starting it at the garage.

Usually, when I get a car or someone I know does, I start seeing those cars everywhere. It suddenly seems like everyone has one. I have still yet to see another of these on the road. I have seen a few Saturn Skys around but not a single other Solstice. I have seen several Porsche Boxsters but not one Solstice. I have seen more Ferrari F430s (2) than other Solstices.

I really love having a convertible. It's really fun driving with the top down.

It's really easy to get going faster than I wanted to go even in the base model Solstice. I have had my first "why is everyone going so slow no wait I'm going 90" moment. Luckily, I didn't get caught.

I have seen people post (rather unspecifically) that the brakes on the Solstice are "a joke". They never say why or what exactly is wrong with them. I live in the mountains with lots of steep, windy roads. If the brakes are inadequate, that's a serious problem for me. Is this a real problem or just something internet pundits say? Do I need to be seriously looking at replacing the pads and rotors?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Congrats on the car. We all enjoy it here.

I have seen people post (rather unspecifically) that the brakes on the Solstice are "a joke". They never say why or what exactly is wrong with them. I live in the mountains with lots of steep, windy roads. If the brakes are inadequate, that's a serious problem for me. Is this a real problem or just something internet pundits say? Do I need to be seriously looking at replacing the pads and rotors?
The brakes are by no means a high point on the car. Check out the disc size on a stock solstice and then a picture of a Golf R (my other car), both with 18 inch wheels. The solstice rotors looks like a puny patty cake next to the R. Sadly, the sol front rotors look the same size as the R rear rotors.

Now, I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with solstice brakes other than they are merely adequate for basic street duty. But for performance enthusiasts, they heat up quickly and fade ridiculously quick when on the track or in road course duty. I can laugh that my Golf has bigger/better brakes than my GXP. But the GXP brakes are perfectly fine for the street. The car is more than capable of locking up the brakes in a hard stop easily and stopping quick on the street.

So I'd suggest unless you are doing a pikes peak style drive (road course or high performance driving outside of AX), then if your brakes are maintained well, they are fine for the street. At the level of road courses (time attack and other road racing) there is room for improvement, but aftermarket brakes won't really help you stop faster than stock on the street, they just are much better at heat and fade resistance over hard use, which becomes important in road courses and road racing.

As for the R brakes as well as other larger rotor set ups, they do look much beefier and cooler. :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have seen people post (rather unspecifically) that the brakes on the Solstice are "a joke".
They never say why or what exactly is wrong with them.
Now, I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with Solstice brakes
other than they are merely adequate for basic street duty.
--------------------------------------->:agree:​

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
In my opinion, and that of many others, the brakes on the Sol are fine. In fact, if you go back into 07 & 08 when a
More racers were on here the consensus was that upgrading the brakes was mostly cosmetic or for hard core racers. We took nearly 70 cars to the track in Texas and spent the day on a road course. There were no complaints about brakes.

The Sol brakes are not a joke if properly maintained and used.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Mike - try driving the solstice for 3 or 4 days then get behind the wheel of a 3/4 ton pick up. I feel like I'm going to fall out!

Do your brakes feel inadequate? Mine don't. I'm not racing, mind you, but when I need to stop, they do the job just fine.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I have now had my Solstice for a little over a month. Here are some of my thoughts.

Everyone thinks this is a fancy car that cost $40,000 or more. I got a "your fancy little sports car" line from someone driving a new Prius V that cost way more than this did even when it was new.

I have put around 2,000 miles on it in a single month.
:agree:

I have had a couple of Ferrari owners, Porsche owners, and one Lamborgini owner check me out on the freeway and in parking lots. They usually ask "How much did it cost for you to have that shipped into the states?".

I have an 03 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi. It feels like driving a tank after I have driven the coupe.

I have had people come close to running into the freeway center divider while looking my coupe over. (Or maybe they are checking out my stupid sh1+ eating grin when I am driving her?) I love it!

Welcome to the perma-grin club!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't had any trouble with the brakes but I don't want to find out about a problem the hard way. I don't race so I don't need brakes for that. I just need brakes for normal street driving.

It's not that surprising that the Golf R has beefier brakes.

Base model Solstice - 177 hp @ 6,600 rpm
Golf R - 256 hp @ 6,600 rpm

Solstice - about $20k new
Golf R - about $35k new

The Golf R is a more expensive car with substantially more horsepower. The Golf R also weighs around 400 pounds more.

I tried to get a dock for my XM radio and couldn't get it installed without ruining the look of the car. Good thing you can get a lot of music of 6 MP3 CDs.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Actually I was comparing a gxp (loaded) to the R, which are the pictures. Very similar msrp, at least here in Canada. Similar stock hp as well.

As for the track and Rob, I seem to remember posts about the top T2 gxp racers having major brake fade over a single race. Some of the old posts I read discussed how hard a track is on the stock brakes and one guy here overheated his oem brakes on the track and crashed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was talking about my own car mainly and it's a base model.

If I planned on racing it, I would make a lot of changes with beefier brakes only being one of them. I don't plan to race it though. It's replacing my Saturn as my regular car. As long as the brakes are good for mountain driving, they're fine. Someday after it's paid off I might think about modifying it but I am leaving it stock for now except for a Windrestrictor that I plan to buy in the next month or two.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I traded my 32-year old Triumph TR8 for the NA Solstice last year, and all I can say about the Solstice brakes compared to the TR8 is "FABULOUS". It all depends on your yardstick.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Mike - I have a 120gig Ipod Classic that contains every piece of music and CD that I've ever bought, ripped in lossless format. I originally bought it when we would take 5 or 6 long weekends per summer and go camping. I got tired of shuffling what CD's we would bring, so why not bring it all?

Working on a mount for it now. Used it on a 4 hour road trip in the Sol last summer and it worked nice. Bought a little "button" charger that plugs into the aux power plug (lighter) to keep it and the cell phone charged.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are lots of options including Pandora on my phone when I'm someplace where I can actually get cell reception but XM is nice to have in a car especially up here in the mountains where there are few radio stations and no cell reception.

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Mike - I have a 120gig Ipod Classic that contains every piece of music and CD that I've ever bought, ripped in lossless format. I originally bought it when we would take 5 or 6 long weekends per summer and go camping. I got tired of shuffling what CD's we would bring, so why not bring it all?

Working on a mount for it now. Used it on a 4 hour road trip in the Sol last summer and it worked nice. Bought a little "button" charger that plugs into the aux power plug (lighter) to keep it and the cell phone charged.
My iTunes library is currently at 3.5 TB. :devil:

I have iPods in each of our vehicles. I have to maintain two different car playlists. Hers and His.:willy:

I save a lot on CDs, I can download directly or buy used for a couple of bucks since I dont use CDs for listening any more.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Pretty much all last year, my daily driver ( on the days I drove to work ) was my 73 corvette. Compared to the Solstice, I had to make an appointment to stop and start my turns about 10 feet in advance so I'm very impressed with the performance and driveability and having XM and an aux port is just a bonus. the wheel base is about the same but the Vette is a good 8 feet longer. Rock on little car.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
well, I don't have 3.5tb but I have close to 1tb. not from itunes but another program I stumbled onto. I think I have every rock song from the 70's & 80's and several thousands more that took me a solid 5 years to get so I can't imagine what all you have on there. at any rate, that's a huge ass collection.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
well, I don't have 3.5tb but I have close to 1tb. not from itunes but another program I stumbled onto. I think I have every rock song from the 70's & 80's and several thousands more that took me a solid 5 years to get so I can't imagine what all you have on there. at any rate, that's a huge ass collection.
So... say RtE has everything encoded at 320k, that's would average out at something like 2.5M a minute. So 3500000/2.5 = 1400000 minutes of content, or over 23 THOUSAND hours of music. Or 972 days, or nearly 3 CONTINUOUS YEARS!

Looking at it another way, if he listened to music 8 hours a day, every day. He could listent to his collection for 8 solid years without repeating a single song/piece!

Hmm, I'd say that was a fair bit, yes! :)

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Nucking Futs to say the least.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
So... say RtE has everything . . .
:)
TS, I'm glad you did the math, I was about to do the same thing when I read your write-up.

But you know RtE, and while he suffers from Punisher overkill, he also admits to suffering from computer overkill, too!

:rofl: :lol: ;) :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I still sometimes misjudge the small turning radius on this car. I turn into a parking space and wind up turning a little too much. I wind up in the space a little cockeyed pointing a bit back towards the way I came.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts