Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is that the gas tank in the trunk behind the seats? If that is right and I believe that it is, I sure wouldn't want to be rear ended. Just one more reason not to smoke. :mad: Anyone seen any crash test results? :banghead: Does the word "Pinto" mean anything to ya?

·
Registered
49 Posts
summersolstice said:
So is that the gas tank in the trunk behind the seats? If that is right and I believe that it is, I sure wouldn't want to be rear ended. Just one more reason not to smoke. :mad: Anyone seen any crash test results? :banghead: Does the word "Pinto" mean anything to ya?

All gas tanks are behind the seats and infront of the trunk...its like that way on the GTO and no one has ever had any issues being rear ended.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Not sure if you know or not but a lot of the front engine RWD Roadsters have the fuel tank right behind the seats. Corvette, XLR, Z4, Z3, etc. Being farther into the car also gives it an extra level of protection. Whatever has crashed into you has to crush through the entire back end of the frame to get to it. At the point the fuel tank is being ruptured in a car like this, you're probably being ruptured too because it would have to be one nasty crash to destroy the car that much.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Corvettes are the same...and then let's talk rear engine cars with fuel tanks right over your legs in the front...If you are worried about crashworthiness...get a Tahoe...you'll fare much better...the other driver wont'...but you will. This is going to be a low slung car which puts you in the Corvette category of unnoticeability on the road. Just be ready to be the guy dodging the big rigs...even with a yellow corvette...they still seem to miss seeing me sometimes.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
My Miata is the same way. The tank is behind the seats. I'd rather have someone have to drive complete through the back of my car to get to the gas tank than to have the tank farther back.

·
5,600 Posts
brentil said:
At the point the fuel tank is being ruptured in a car like this, you're probably being ruptured too because it would have to be one nasty crash to destroy the car that much.
:eek:

I concur.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nocturn said:
All gas tanks are behind the seats and infront of the trunk...its like that way on the GTO and no one has ever had any issues being rear ended.
Yes the tank is in back on other cars but most are on the bottom of the frame not 6" off you're back where it would be shoved into you or ruptured to where the gas would spill into the front seats. Not to mention a very short trunk. You are right if that did happen you're probably eating the dash anyway but you have a better chance of surviving if you aren't on FIRE! As you get older you think more about things like that than when you were a young buck and invincible or at least many think they are. People today are just to careless when it comes to driving. I think more about safety,gas milage,maintence cost than I did before. I've made it this far I'd like to make last a little longer. It's a great looking car and chances are a rear ender may not happen but I may just have to pass on this one. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
The tanks on modern cars are NOT in the back like you think. In aPinto, yes, right in front of rear bumper and prone to rupture. Used to be top of tank was bttom of trunk. Safety concerns have moved tanks in front of rear axles and most are now plastic. In a grand prix the tank is basically under the rear seat. This should be a lot safer than you think.

·
Registered
275 Posts
yeah, actually i wouldnt rather have it any other way (except for more trunk space). most car crashes damage the front of the car, so i would rather have it in the rear of the car. and the frame protects the tank as much if not more than it would protect me. i bet the tank would survive better in a crash than i would. i feel fine with the way it was designed.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The problem with the Pinto was the tank was between the rear axle and the back bumper under the floor of the trunk (just like ALL the other cars of its day). But there were three extra factors: 1. There was very little extra room in front or behind the fuel tank. 2.The rear differential had a extra long oil fill bolt at the top. In a rear end crash, the flimsy rear bumper pushed the gas tank forward where it was punctured by that bolt on the differential and 3. Ralph Nader.

As others have stated, placement of the tank either above the floor or below makes little difference in a crash. What makes a difference is that it is in front of the rear wheels. Imagine the impact force it would take to , effectively, shorten the wheelbase enough to encroach on the area occupied by the fuel tank. But if that did happen, would you rather the fuel spilled into the trunk or under the car and on to the hot catalytic converter?

Actually there is no safer place to put the fuel tank than where it is. It's just that putting it under the floor offers a bit of "Out of sight, Out of mind" security.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts