Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just occured to me, that while you all are concerning yourself with the first thousand, here in Canada we will be "one of one thousand" in the country, for the model year,....(or 1 of 2700 at the high end, by some sources)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mercedes SLK 350

On another note, we just went out and looked at the SLK 350 as an alternative....when we arrived home I compared the Basic specs and it is surprising how close they in size and some equipment........

·
Registered
139 Posts
i was about to warn you about the decrease in mb quality over the years and then i remembered the solstice is a pontiac :leaving:

have fun in your benz!

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
What equipment is that? Maybe tires and a six disk in dash stereo. Other then that I would say you are at total opposite ends of the roadster spectrum.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
monolith said:
On another note, we just went out and looked at the SLK 350 as an alternative....when we arrived home I compared the Basic specs and it is surprising how close they in size and some equipment........
Similar in equipment? The base Solstice has just about zero convenience amentities. No power windows or locks, air conditioning, cruise, much less having a power operated hardtop, 6 cyl engine, etc. Other than being a 2 seat convertable of similar size, I am not sure there is much comparison!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it is at "different ends of the spectrum" but if you look past those things expected from M-B and the huge price difference, look at dimensions and such you'll see how close they are.....

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You can get two Solstices for less than the price of one SLK350.
Besides the SLK came in dead last in R&T sports car comparison.

On your earlier comment, good idea maybe we can get GM Canada to put a
"First 1000 Crazy Canuck" badge on our cars.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
One of the things that need to be considered is option packages, color combinations and people's personal preferences.

Let me explain my thoughts, I have a Ford 2004 Limited edition Thunderbird Pacific Coast Roadster, it also is one of 1000 built. But, all 1000 have the same color, trim, amenities. There are other color, amenities, wheel, & top combinations out there, that make them more rare than the 1/1000 of my "Limited Edition".

So, it is possible to have a car that may be only one of 500 built in a particular combination. If you get my drift.

·
Registered
288 Posts
MI Sol said:
One of the things that need to be considered is option packages, color combinations and people's personal preferences.

Let me explain my thoughts, I have a Ford 2004 Limited edition Thunderbird Pacific Coast Roadster, it also is one of 1000 built. But, all 1000 have the same color, trim, amenities. There are other color, amenities, wheel, & top combinations out there, that make them more rare than the 1/1000 of my "Limited Edition".

So, it is possible to have a car that may be only one of 500 built in a particular combination. If you get my drift.
I never really bought into this idea. As an owner of two firehawks, both numberd with productions of under 1000, I have seen this before where people will say their car is firehawk #191 of 675, and 1 of 193 black trans am 6-speeds. that just makes no sense to even put it like that. That's just people trying to make more out of it then it is.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
monolith said:
It just occured to me, that while you all are concerning yourself with the first thousand, here in Canada we will be "one of one thousand" in the country, for the model year,....(or 1 of 2700 at the high end, by some sources)
I have just learned that there is a lock on Solstices comming into Canada for the rest of the production year. I'm not sure what the number was, 1500 or so, but not till next model year will anymore be shipped to Canada. So if your Canadian and you don't have a 2006 yet, then you better start saving for a 2007.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
We are typically 10% of the market. For roadsters who knows. With 8100 ordered, that would put us at 810 cars. GTA has 26 pontiac dealers, if they each got 9 cars as my dealer in Ottawa did, that would be 250 just in Toronto. You have to believe that with one quarter left in 2005 after the EOPs, and two quarters in 2006, we would be lucky to see 500 here this year.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
We are typically 10% of the market. For roadsters who knows. With 8100 ordered, that would put us at 810 cars. GTA has 26 pontiac dealers, if they each got 9 cars as my dealer in Ottawa did, that would be 250 just in Toronto. You have to believe that with one quarter left in 2005 after the EOPs, and two quarters in 2006, we would be lucky to see 500 here this year.
Your Signature says "5th of 9 @ Canadian Dealer " .. what does that mean? Does that mean you have the fifth car out of the 9 dealers in your area? If so how did you find that out?

And that's some scarry Math. I'm not disputing the logic at all, I just don't like it! I hope March 28th was early enough for my order for me to get one.

Last time I talked to someone they said there was roughly 1500 orders in Canada alone. I wish we could all find out where we stand in that line.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
monolith said:
I know it is at "different ends of the spectrum" but if you look past those things expected from M-B and the huge price difference, look at dimensions and such you'll see how close they are.....
True, they are close dimensionally. However, when you said close on equipment, that usually refers to the options and ammenties on the car. Not saying the SLK is bad. It is an awesome car! Its just not the typical car to be cross shopped with a Solstice (or even directly compared).

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Primus said:
I never really bought into this idea. As an owner of two firehawks, both numberd with productions of under 1000, I have seen this before where people will say their car is firehawk #191 of 675, and 1 of 193 black trans am 6-speeds. that just makes no sense to even put it like that. That's just people trying to make more out of it then it is.
I know what you mean, but some individuals within the companies can access certain databases, that hold the production data for things like color, amenities, & accessories. When that data is analyzed, it proves out that they are rarer, they just don't have the proof (i.e. the Badge).

With some just knowing in their mind is enough. With others, well, you know.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
MI Sol said:
I know what you mean, but some individuals within the companies can access certain databases, that hold the production data for things like color, amenities, & accessories. When that data is analyzed, it proves out that they are rarer, they just don't have the proof (i.e. the Badge).

With some just knowing in their mind is enough. With others, well, you know.
Also, rare doesn't necessarily mean more desirable when it comes to things like that. For instance, if I wanted the rarest combination, I probably would have ordered a white Sol. It may very well be one of only 10 white cars in the first 1000 group. But that's because nobody wants white. (Yeah, I know ... there are a couple of you out there.) So it doesn't really make it more desirable, whereas the "limited edition" models are almost always given a certain amount of preference over similar cars because of that that fact.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I think my point was missed....in was all in jest.....we are only going to get a few here in Canada, but owning one is to enjoy it , not for its value or what others think.....the SLK comment was just an observation...I've been close too both and other than dimensions the projected attitude of the two is completely different....

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
5 of 9 means at my dealer, who has an allocation of 9 cars, I am in the middle at number 5.

So for example, if the rollout for the Canadian dealers ends up being Nov, Dec Jan Feb, mine would be late Dec, early Jan, nothwithstanding the comment made by Smaller dealer about the way in which allocations are distributed nonlinearly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts