Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

One of the LUCKY 40 in Iraq

8K views 69 replies 32 participants last post by  SolsticeMan 
#1 ·
Good Morning or Evening :willy:

I just received word that I was 1 of only 40 allowed to buy through the local AAFES car sales program and got a GREAT deal. :party:

I bought the SLY with the dual tone leather and had it FULLY loaded out the door for only $22,253.50! :yesnod: The only option that was not offered on the build sheet was the OnStar, but I really do not use my 03 Burbs anyway. :yawn:

I will not be home until next year, so the wait is not too bad ...but I am excited. :leaving: Finally, something good happened over here! :brentil:

I wanted to ask if anyone has seen the SLY in person and what they thought. I had such a hard time judging the colors, due to having little access over here. I wanted a deep color like red, black,or blue at first, but SLY just won me over ... some how. :thumbs: SLY seems to be not too "in your face" to me. I thought the 2 tone leather looked good, again in photos, so I would appreciate comments on the 2 choices.

Finally, I picked polished aluminum over chrome, because I thought the chrome would look better on a deeper color. JMOA

I would appreciate any feedback on the other colors ... if you have seen a Solstice in person.

Sorry for the length, but I had alot of questions. Thanks for all input.

MSG McKee, US Army, Baqubah, Iraq :patriot:

See less See more
#3 ·
dori-san said:
Congrats! :cheers:

I wouldn't think you could use the OnStar in Iraq even if you had it, could you?
the car isnt being delivered to him in Iraq, he will pick it up state side when he returns!

#4 ·
We just call in air support ... over here. LOL

dori-san said:
Congrats! :cheers:

I wouldn't think you could use the OnStar in Iraq even if you had it, could you?

:agree:

LOL ... I am coming home to pick it up in AL. :leaving: (April 2006)

However, there have been a few days when I needed it! :brentil:

Until I come home I just have a pair boots for transportation ... the Solstice will be a BIG upgrade! :cheers:

#6 ·
i've been up close to sly,deep,cool and aggressive... and have seen the other colors from a distance at the plant. i have come to the conclusion that the solstice looks fabulous in any color. sly is close..maybe identical..... to the concept car, and is featured in most of the promotional material. somebody at Pontiac must think it looks best in this color. look in the gallery and ou will see plenty of pix that are sly with steel/sand interior. congratulations on getting a solstice.... as good as it looks in pictures, the real thing looks better- and better yet from the driver's seat.

#7 ·
MSG_McKee said:
PAO ... you are correct.

I hope dori-san was joking. :crazy:

The Solstice might last 30 minutes ... over here. :skep:

Uploaded Hummers are the way to go!:thumbs:

Take Care! :grouphug:
roger...stay safe over there....and thanks for all you and those fine men and woman are doing for us!..USA (Ret) here!!

#8 ·
MSG_McKee said:
PAO ... you are correct.

I hope dori-san was joking. :crazy:

The Solstice might last 30 minutes ... over here. :skep:

Uploaded Hummers are the way to go!:thumbs:

Take Care! :grouphug:

Congrats! Sounds like you got a great deal!

#11 ·
MSG McKee, just wanted to express my thanks and support for what you guys are doing over there. good luck and God bless

#13 ·
jwally said:
MSG McKee, just wanted to express my thanks and support for what you guys are doing over there. good luck and God bless
:agree:
Damn straight! :patriot:

Is this a GM-sponsored program for soldiers deployed to Iraq? or overseas in general? Either way, I think its great - I just wish they had enough Solstices for all Iraq veterans (but that would take 10+ years production :willy: )

#14 ·
Congratulations! Good choice, Sly's a beautiful color

I too ordered the Sly. It's an interesting, and (in my opinion) beautiful, color. It looks slightly darker in low light, and a lighter in bright, direct light. There's a CTS in the parking lot where I work, and depending on whether or not the owner parks under the cover or not, the paint takes on a different appearance. The brochures and pictures make it look slightly darker than it looks in the bright sun. :cool:

The color, when I see it, is a calm, understated, yet striking silver-grey with a subtle semi-metallic glisten. I saw the two tone interior with the Sly at the LA Auto Show in Jan 2005, and it was well balanced. It has a refined appearance.

My thoughts are with you for a safe return. Thanks for your service.

Be well.

#17 ·
Keep safe over there and a deep thanks from someone who lives under the benefits you and the other guys over there have given to us. Have fun with your Sol when you get home. :patriot:

#21 ·
MSG McKee,

Congrats on picking up a Solstice from the AAFES program!!! I don't suppose your dealer told you if all 40 cars designated for deployed troops have been spoken for yet, did he? I'm curently depolyed to one of those undisclosed locations in the Middle-East myself. AS soon as I get off duty tonight, I'm gonna' head straight over to the AAFES car dealer at this location! I'll see what I can find out.
Keep your cranium on a swivel and watch your six!

v/r

MSgt Tom Whitman
United States Air Force

#22 ·
9_Ball_Slim said:
MSG McKee,

Congrats on picking up a Solstice from the AAFES program!!! I don't suppose your dealer told you if all 40 cars designated for deployed troops have been spoken for yet, did he? I'm curently depolyed to one of those undisclosed locations in the Middle-East myself. AS soon as I get off duty tonight, I'm gonna' head straight over to the AAFES car dealer at this location! I'll see what I can find out.
Keep your cranium on a swivel and watch your six!

v/r

MSgt Tom Whitman
United States Air Force
Good luck getting your Solstice. :)

Also, thank you for serving your country. :patriot:

What does it mean to "watch your six"?

#23 ·
stang said:
Good luck getting your Solstice. :)

Also, thank you for serving your country. :patriot:

watch your six...is slang..some of used in the military to check behind you!!..notice your watch....looking ahead at 12..the 6 is behind you....thus watch your six......some of us say..dont forget to check six...before you do something..meaning always look behind you....

#24 ·
stang said:
Stang,

It means, Keep an eye out for what might be behind you!

It's and old flying term...We've been using it in the USAF since we were the Army Air Corps. It's based on the positions of a clock...i.e. 12 o'clock would be in front of you...3 o'clock would be to your right....9 o'clock would be to your left....and 6 o'clock would be stright behind you.

Thank you for your well wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.