Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 spd Solstice has been plagued with a transmission problem for the past few months. It's usually very hard to shift and feels very notchy. Won't go into reverse at all unless the engine is off. It also moves slowly when the clutch is depressed and the shifter is in first or reverse. So I diagnosed it as a leaky clutch master cylinder and I replaced it. It got better, but it's still not fully functional.

I don't know if it's something else, or if it still needs to be bled, or what. I'm completely lost at this point, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue. How many miles on the car? Any previous failures that might contribute to this one?

You did not mention the condition of the fluid reservoir. Was it full when you went to change the master cylinder? Have you checked the parking place for signs of leaking fluid? There are a couple of possible issues. One is the slave cylinder which is also the throw out bearing is failing and not providing enough travel to disengage the clutch. Another is that the hydraulic hose that connects the master cylinder with the slave may be leaking. They tend to fail right inside the transmission. If its leaking but has not totally failed it may explain why the clutch is failing to disengage fully.

Even a perfectly operating car can experience difficulty entering reverse or first gear while stopped. This has been noted by many owners. It requires bouncing the clutch while in neutral to spin the gears before engaging reverse.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replying, it has about 44,000 miles on it. And yes, it was full, but some of the fluid leaked out during the repair. So I filled it up (apparently it's self bleeding) so I bled it, and filled it up again.

I'm planning on getting the brake fluid flushed soon, it looks pretty nasty and I don't think the PO took very good care of it. Do you think that would help at all? And of those issues you listed, do they involve dropping the transmission?

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
Replacing the hydraulic hose or the slave cylinder requires removal of the transmission. $900 dealer cost unless you do it yourself. There are several threads on dropping the transmission.

Another thought is you may not be getting full travel on the clutch pedal. Check the travel and make sure it's up to factory specs.

The fluid is shared by the brakes and the clutch and does deteriorate. Depends on climate and useage. But if it were me I would consider everything I could before pulling the transmission

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do I check the travel and where do I find these specs? And yeah, I'm going to try my hardest to not drop the transmission. And I'm located in Hawaii so it's very humid.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Hopefully you took everyones advice on your last post and replaced the clutch too while you were doing the slave cylinder? I mean, you would have had the transmission out of the car to do the slave cylinder, so you would have had access to the clutch right away. A worn clutch will give the same results. You would never be able to tell that it's worn. My guess....and it's just a guess.....is that the fingers/springs/splines whatever mood someone is in to call them are worn out and don't have the "springieness" they used to have to disengage the pressure plate enough. Those splines could be weak or even bent causing the pressure plate to not reduce the pressure enough on the clutch. Another piece might be that your throw-out bearing is shot. You do have 44k on the clutch. That's about where these clutches last with the average person on a Solstice.

EDIT: You said you replaced the clutch master cylinder....do you mean the brake master cylinder that feeds fluid to the clutch slave cylinder?

·
Administrator
9,723 Posts
I had a similar shifting problem that turned out to be a broken clutch pedal return spring.
I replaced the master cylinder with no effect, and didn't realize until I found the broken pieces that there even was an external return spring.
I installed a new spring and re-installed the original master cylinder and now have no problems shifting.

If you aren't losing fluid it isn't likely to be a problem with the slave cylinder or hose.

·
Registered
384 Posts
My 5 spd Solstice has been plagued with a transmission problem for the past few months. It's usually very hard to shift and feels very notchy. Won't go into reverse at all unless the engine is off. It also moves slowly when the clutch is depressed and the shifter is in first or reverse. So I diagnosed it as a leaky clutch master cylinder and I replaced it. It got better, but it's still not fully functional.

I don't know if it's something else, or if it still needs to be bled, or what. I'm completely lost at this point, any help will be greatly appreciated!

All those symptoms sound like the clutch is not fully disengaging. When you replaced the master cylinder, how did the bleeding go? What procedure did you use?

If the Master cylinder doesn't fix it, next step is to pull the transmission and have a look see. There is no other way to get at the clutch hose, slave cylinder, or clutch without dropping the trans. If you have replaced a transmission before, this is not that bad, being RWD. Toughest challenges are the top two bell-housing bolts for the 2006 models, then later models add-on that you need to remove the rear diff if you have the torque arm that connects the trans output to the diff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts