Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Onstar system require an antenna and does anyone know what it looks like?
:confused:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Frosty said:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=443&sort=2&cat=3017&page=1

Check out the picture in the above link; the black pimple in the middle of the trunk is the antenna.
Nope, that's the XM antenna. OnStar does reqire an antenna so far as I know. I googled OnStar antenna under an image search and came up with a page with a Subaru that has one on it. I tried to grab the pic and post it over here, but the file is too large. It kinda looks like a little... er... manhood.

·
5,641 Posts
There has been lots of work to combine OnStar and XM antennas and to reduced their size. I agree that in the New York Auto Show photo, that looks like just an XM antenna. Perhaps the product DVD due on the 4th, or the dealer training broadcast on the 6th will show an actual antenna. I would expect it to stick up in the air. Maybe not Grand Prix in appearance but possibly like the one on the Vibe.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
The ordinary antenna on my 97 GP was fixed, vertical in right rear fender about 2 1/2 - 3 ft tall. On my 03 GP with OnSTar it is about a foot long mounted in rear window near top and is adjustable angle, can stick straight out or lay flat against the glass. I often wonder if that has anything to do with OnStar anyway because the OnStar box in the trunk is almost as big as a lunch box. Think about your cell phone antenna that's basically all that's needed, although slightly larger, for satellite.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Hum, good question, did not think about OnStar needing an antenna.

·
Registered
64 Posts
On several new GM products, they have a combination XM/OnStar antenna. It has the flat base of the XM with a short riser of the OnStar. The Solstice may use one of those so you would have a sharkfin in place of the pimple.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
NytLyt said:
On several new GM products, they have a combination XM/OnStar antenna. It has the flat base of the XM with a short riser of the OnStar. The Solstice may use one of those so you would have a sharkfin in place of the pimple.
Now that would be über ugly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts