Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Solstice on 27 Jun with all the options except the smokers package, but was told I couldn't order OnStar because it wasn't available yet. I recently read somewhere that OnStar will be available sometime this fall. Does anyone know if I can change my order to include OnStar when it becomes available? My dealer told me "probably not" but then he told me I wouldn't be able to get my VOM# until the car was ready for production. Armed with the info I got from Cadillacricket, I went to my dealer and left with my VOM#.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Intimidator said:
I ordered a Solstice on 27 Jun with all the options except the smokers package, but was told I couldn't order OnStar because it wasn't available yet. I recently read somewhere that OnStar will be available sometime this fall. Does anyone know if I can change my order to include OnStar when it becomes available? My dealer told me "probably not" but then he told me I wouldn't be able to get my VOM# until the car was ready for production. Armed with the info I got from Cadillacricket, I went to my dealer and left with my VOM#.

my understanding is if your order sits in your dealers order pool...you can make changes up until the time the order is picked up by GM to begin the production process....if an option is not available or constrained for some reason......the order can proceed without that particular option.....or will remain in the pool pending availability of that option.....bottomline is how soon do y ou want your car??..with or without all options requested.

did I get that right guys???

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
I have On*Star on my Burb (only because it came with it as a standard option), but I do not think it is worth the upgrade price (Sol). JMHO

I believe it is going for almost $700 extra ....

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have OnStar on my Olds. It's the best thing ever, now I don't have to stop and ask for directions, which I have been told men don't like to do.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The OnStar delay may be related to the new wiring for OnStar and XM satellite antenna's together. Yes, XM is available but the OnStar antenna is being combined with the XM antenna and this part is being reworked into a new hidden design. Don't believe the option will be available until the automatics come out next year.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
TerpFan said:
The OnStar delay may be related to the new wiring for OnStar and XM satellite antenna's together. Yes, XM is available but the OnStar antenna is being combined with the XM antenna and this part is being reworked into a new hidden design. Don't believe the option will be available until the automatics come out next year.
thought I saw they were simply adding a shark fin like attachment to the XM flat antenna to make it a combined unit......would rather have it hidden in the side mirrors like the 06 vette has done already...appears the technology is there..perhaps a design issue with the solstice now....

·
5,641 Posts
PAO said:
my understanding is if your order sits in your dealers order pool...you can make changes up until the time the order is picked up by GM to begin the production process....if an option is not available or constrained for some reason......the order can proceed without that particular option.....or will remain in the pool pending availability of that option...

did I get that right guys???

:thumbs:

I had heard that the delay in OnStar was due to an something other then the antenna. At the Ride & Drive Training, it was mentioned that the OnStar and XM antennas would be combined, but they are all ready on most GM vehicles. It didn't take it to mean a new generation of combo antennas with out the vertical OnStar portion.

Nothing has changed on availability, still targeting September.

Nothing here in the US about Onstar requiring XM, as it has been posted from Pontiac Canada's site. UPDATEThis appears to be just one person's post. I can't find this at GM Canada or Cars.com (both which let me build the car with OnStar and without XM), the two sites the two posts refer to.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I received an OnStar Mag. yesterday, and it said that OnStar would soon be switching to all digital service and not supporting analog. Could that be the reason for the delay?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
hersolstice said:
I received an OnStar Mag. yesterday, and it said that OnStar would soon be switching to all digital service and not supporting analog. Could that be the reason for the delay?
that is simply the type of onstar box put in the car....I have an analog system in mine..it will not work pass 2007 or 08 and I cant upgrade....dont remember when they are switching to all digital....some have a dual capability now...analog/digital..so unless it is availability of the system (box) at this point....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Much better off without ONSTAR. While the commercials leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling the truth is that 50% of the time the don't answer promptly, dont know the answers to your questions, give you wrong directions or a combination of all of these problems. I'm glad its an option. I had no choice in the Cadillac. Its a waste of cash.

·
5,641 Posts
Nat said:
Why would you want on-star ? It is the most overpriced service ever thought of.
ESERIES3 said:
Much better off without ONSTAR. While the commercials leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling the truth is that 50% of the time the don't answer promptly, dont know the answers to your questions, give you wrong directions or a combination of all of these problems. I'm glad its an option. I had no choice in the Cadillac. Its a waste of cash.
Some day Nat you will get cable TV.

It is hard to imagine with 210,000 unanswered calls monthly or 168,000 people sent in wrong directions each month, that 85% of OnStar owners would recommend the service to friends.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had on-star in 2 GM vehicles. Never used it. This is a device for idiots, but then, big corporations are good at marketing idiotic devices to Americans that they don't need. The list is endless. By the way I have cable TV with multiple HD sets.

·
Registered
182 Posts
furthermore, in the agreement you sign you give them permission to record vehicle locations for marketing purposes

OnStar's privacy policy assures users that "You take privacy seriously, and so do we at OnStar. It's our way of sustaining your trust in OnStar and our products and services." But the company's privacy policy also says "we may routinely collect information, such as ... the location of your vehicle provided via satellite, or any other information, including your preferences or usage patterns." The policy does not say that the company sells or plans to sell or share such records of your wherabouts. Then again, it doesn't say it doesn't, either. Ominously, the online privacy policy ends with this: "OnStar reserves the right to alter its privacy principles as business needs require."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Intimidator said:

I spoke to a Pontiac official at the event (I think he was the production manager of the plant, but, I don't remember his exact title) in Detroit about the onstar. He said it was due to the interior noise level was too high to be able to talk on the hands free phone (the microphone is in the a-pilar on the driver's side) and they didn't want to sell you half the package. The solution is to put a headliner in the convertable top (which I saw tops with and without in person) to reduce the interior noise with the top up. I was told that none of the first 1000 will have onstar or the headliner.

It was an option that I really wanted. I mean, if any of the Solstice's are going to be stollen, one of the first 1000 are very likely to be it. But, then again, we know who owns each one here, right. So if someone tries to sell you vin#359, call the cops, because I'm not selling mine yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts