Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway of checking out the ONStar mic other than subbing from OnStar or removing the A Pillar to inspect .I have an 07 Sol with priemium radio ONstar in mirror.If I press the button on the steering wheel ,the radio muts but can not give any voice commands.I have not turned on OnStar just was curious to see if the mic is working ,will be installing a Pioneer radio soon and wanted to make sure all is working .If I need to purchase a mic I will ,I know my VCIM is not bluetooth so I am wondering if that has something to do with it.Thanks I am sure TS will chime in on this. LOL

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
If I press the button on the steering wheel ,the radio muts but can not give any voice commands.I have not turned on OnStar just was curious to see if the mic is working ,will be installing a Pioneer radio soon and wanted to make sure all is working .
First off, the steering wheel control is just a "mute" button. Next, if you are a new owner, OnStar will give you 3 months free of charge with no obligation. Just don't give them a credit card number. You can push the phone button on the mirror too I believe and just say cancel when it asks you for a command. (if it does)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On Star mic

Yea I understand that ,but it does not hear anything as far as i can tell.Basically what I have tries to do is just verify that the mic is working,when I press the wheel button ,it does in fact mute radio.If I press the OnStar button on the mirror it does not hear me so my gut feeling is it is either in operative or i have to sub to OnStar for it to work.I guess I am answering my own question here ,mic is either missing ,or broke,short of removing A Pillar I won't know if it is even in there.Car is getting cleaned up at the paint shop this week so I have to wait to go further.I guess what I am asking is do I need to call OnStar to get this turned on or should it work if it is going to work by pressing the rearview mirror button.Is it possible that there would be an issue with the VCIM also?

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Someone called? :)

Yeah, sorry, I think you verified it's not working with what you've done. Could be a loose connector, but in any case, the next debug stage is to pull the A-pillar :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OnStar mic

Thanks TS I always ,I always get the straight poop from you as well as many others on this site.I agree,pull the plastic frame from around the windshield and then remove the A Pillar,kinda don't want to do that ,was hoping someone would just say something like its the VCIM or a program issue or something like that.I am always pulling something apart on this toy.As it is when I get the Pioneer AVIC-X150BT I have to pull the dash apart,center cover (may as well tighten up the E brake again),both sill plates,both rear panels and then the back panel to complete the installation.They should just call these cars snap together models.I love my toy,so it don't really matter.Thanks again

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Yep. You only really need to undo the bolt on the driver side sunvisor and then pull that side of the top trim down. Then you should be able to get the A-pillar off without removing the whole top piece.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow must be a good time to post ques,quick response.Just posted another in engine mods for the charge pipe and there is a response waiting for me.Thanks TS ,If it was not for you ,I would still be without a radio.Great info

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TS Well my radio is working just fine,still having an issue with my phone not syncing up to the radio.I have a Casio phone that will work on my 10 Avalanche but not on my Solstice radio (yet).I pulled the A pillar ,found a loose wire on the mic ,reattached the mic,pressed the Blue OnStar button,operator came on but could not hear me.Seems that the mic is not working,any other way to prove that it is the mic and not something else?

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
The Bluetooth part is in the OnStar box (VCIM) behind the waterfall, not part of the radio. Did you swap the VCIM too? If not, you don't have Bluetooth.

As for the mic, seems like it's bad, especially if a wire was loose. Only way to verify would be to replace it I would think. Sorry.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I realize I don't have Bluetooth ,that was one of the reasons for the replacement head unit to get hands free as well as nav. The VCIM is the original one that is not Bluetooth and definitely does not have the Bluetooth logo on it. I guess all I can do at this point is to change out the mic.Where does the mic terminate ,behind the mirror or in the VCIM?Just wondering if it still may be a wire issue,hard to believe a mic would be bad.Thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yea the loose wire was the connector was unplugged ,not a loos wire on the the mic it self.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
The mic goes direct to the OnStar box. There are a couple of connectors along the way, J217 and J218, according to the schematic. I assume the first is that one at the mic, not sure where the second one is.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OnStar mic

I guess I will need to look deeper,BTW working on the reverse lights also,would like to find another way to connect the power wires short of tapping into the wires out side of the car behind the bumper .I will be removing the back panels to get the video cable to the radio.Got a radio question I will post in that section,thanks anyways.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The mic goes direct to the OnStar box. There are a couple of connectors along the way, J217 and J218, according to the schematic. I assume the first is that one at the mic, not sure where the second one is.
Does anybody know how many wires the microphone has if it's 3 you can buy a pigtail connector and convert it to an auxiliary Jack. I bought the android ATOTO a6 and has a microphone connection that is a 3.5 mm AUX Jack but I'm pretty sure on star uses BNC connectors. This radio also allows you to program the steering wheel control so your command a button can be whatever you want it to be I set mine for Bluetooth so it works with bixby on Samsung

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
New member did, couldnt find it.. so maybe senior members could help out and it would be appreciated. Shouldn't this be why people join? To share and help?
Apologies for not making my comment clearer.

I applaud your re-opening of the old thread rather than starting a new one. People will sometimes re-open an old thread to answer a question that was asked 10 years ago, and that is clearly pointless, but you continued an old thread with a new, related question.

I believe that the microphone has two wires, but I can't check until tonight. Someone will probably answer before then, however.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Apologies for not making my comment clearer.

I applaud your re-opening of the old thread rather than starting a new one. People will sometimes re-open an old thread to answer a question that was asked 10 years ago, and that is clearly pointless, but you continued an old thread with a new, related question.

I believe that the microphone has two wires, but I can't check until tonight. Someone will probably answer before then, however.
That's fine, I'm taking mine out tonight. Thank you

1 - 20 of 22 Posts