Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Are you going to spend $695 to get OnStar?

• Yes, I am going to spend an extra $695 to get OnStar.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • No, I am not going to get OnStar.

Votes: 59 81.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I wouldn't buy it as a stand alone option. If it ended up bundled with something I want I could end up with it, but its not a priority for me.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I'm still debating this one so I havn't voted yet. I have it on the GTP and we have never ever used it. But I look at it as a very good anti-theft or theft recovery system. Forget about the phone part for a minute. They can find a stolen car with the system activated within minutes and literally yards.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I went with no because ~$700 can buy me plenty of other options. HOWEVER if OnStar came with it for free I'd gladly keep getting the yearly subscription. I just have no desire to put ~$700 into something that's going to cost me $200+ a year.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I thought after the "Find the message" campaign GM stated all 2006+ models would have OnStar standard. Seems like the OnStar is an option though on the Solstice with an upgraded radio.

I won't pay for it (getting an upgrade I don't want), but if it was tossed in standard then I'd at least give it a try for the 1 year time intro. Using mapquest or something like that I don't need directions, and I have a cell phone to use so I just don't see the plus to paying for OnStar on top of that.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
rlhammon said:
I thought after the "Find the message" campaign GM stated all 2006+ models would have OnStar standard. Seems like the OnStar is an option though on the Solstice with an upgraded radio.

I won't pay for it (getting an upgrade I don't want), but if it was tossed in standard then I'd at least give it a try for the 1 year time intro. Using mapquest or something like that I don't need directions, and I have a cell phone to use so I just don't see the plus to paying for OnStar on top of that.
I had mentioned this in another thread since it came up there too. It's actually all cars by the end of the year 2007, so not necisarily 2007 models, but by the end of the year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We know based on the information made available recently that OnStar is an OPTION. That means that it will cost something. I am guessing around $675 based on other cars. Eventually, GM will include it standard, but apparently not quite yet.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I'd pay the annual fee for the thing but my options load is up too high so I have much better things to do with $700. Long and short if the hardware was cheap I'd give it a go but not at $700.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
When I reviewed the options with my dealer today, the OnStar option was an extra. It wasn't bundled with anything else nor was it a "First year free" promotion. I'll see if things change later when the final prices are out.

·
5,641 Posts
The OnStar option is $695 (as pointed out the same it is is almost all situations were it is an option). This includes the first year of Safe & Sound coverage.

For those that find the subscription cost reasonable for what your receive in services, please think of the price as $496 for hardware / installation / intergration and $199 for your first year of service. Does that make it look and sound more reasonable?

In our state, and perhaps many more, OnStar qualifies for insurance discounts because of the theft tracking feature. Simular to discounts given for LoJack.

Think of the automatic air bag notification like an insurance policy. No one here has used thier life insurance policy?

All currently equiped OnStar cars have a demo mode. And while they do not have personal calling active, you can store phone numbers in the cars memory to see how easy it is to use. (And a 100 minute bundle of calling minutes is a real inexpensive back up cell phone.) Play around with it at your dealer. It will give every one something to do between the time the dealer opens and 2pm on the 15th rolls around. Don't dismiss it without some thought.

Plus you can always include you subscription extensions in your financing at time of purchase.

Also one last thought. With GM moving towards making OnStar standard in the near future. Think how the lack of OnStar may (or may not) effect the future value of the Solstice you get now.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Didn't I read somewhere that the Sol doesn't come with a spare tire, but only a tire repair kit? That might make some think harder about the OnStar option. I'm not too concerned with it, but I could see some people being completely freaked out about the possibility of being stranded with no way to change a blowout tire. It really sucks they don't even give you a donut spare. But I'm still not interested in OnStar ... way too much money.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Good points small_dealer and pwr. In the long run I shouldn't be so cheap, $700 is long forgotten down the road.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The problem as I've said before is that stupid $695 upfront cost. They should jsut make it a $200 option that covers the first years service but you get the hardware free. Yeah GM can charge an ridiculous $960 for AC, I'm going to pay that cause I have to have it, but now that I've wasted $1000 of my accesories budget for this car OnStar has fallen way off my radar. If I got OnStar with the configuration of options I have then it puts it ouside my budget, and beyond what I can afford.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
brentil said:
The problem as I've said before is that stupid $695 upfront cost. They should jsut make it a $200 option that covers the first years service but you get the hardware free. Yeah GM can charge an ridiculous $960 for AC, I'm going to pay that cause I have to have it, but now that I've wasted $1000 of my accesories budget for this car OnStar has fallen way off my radar. If I got OnStar with the configuration of options I have then it puts it ouside my budget, and beyond what I can afford.
Should be like cell phones, you make the money on the recurring annual fees so reduce the up front cost and you sell millions more ;)

Guess it doesn't matter because in a year or two it will be standard on all cars/trucks.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
Should be like cell phones, you make the money on the recurring annual fees so reduce the up front cost and you sell millions more ;)

Guess it doesn't matter because in a year or two it will be standard on all cars/trucks.
Yeah I said screw OnStar when I optioned the car last night. I'll wait till I trade in down the road for a Solstice GT and get it free then.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have not needed it in the past 17 years, So NNNNOOOOOOOO I would not waste my money on shuch a "fadish" option. I am not into all the "bling bling" stuff. I would FLIP if GM said "Rick you have to pay us $700 for something you dont want. But it comes on the car, like it or not. Now If you want the car you have to pay for the extra unneeded crap." :devil:

Now I would not hold it against people that want it. If they want it , then it is GM's duty to provide it for them. Just dont "Force it on the people that dont want it"
Dont you have to PAY for a monthly service charge too? Again I would never use it, so why would I pay for the upfront cost then a service charge?

If I want to get some were I bring a MAP or GPS. The best thing On Star has is the ability to call 911 after a crash. Is my life worth $700 and a monthly service charge? Yes but it is like Life Insurance, You gamble on paying for an event you wish will never happen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts