Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what we have been told the Solstice/Sky will come standard with the OnStar service option. I might be wrong about this, but I understand that this means that as a owner you will have this feature for a full year whether or not you want it. The service charge for OnStar is $19.95 per month, so that means that $239.40 must be added to the list base price of the car. Is this true? I can think of other things I could do $240.00. It looks like only fleet buyers can delete this option.(UE0) I would rather pay this money for the XM Satellite service. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Interesting. I did not think OnStar was that much, wow....do they have any lower tier pricing? They are really pushing OnStar now. Agree they should have an opt out option.

Another Onstar question...is there any kind of antenna for that?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I'm not totally sure but I bet the hardware for Onstar is actually a freebie as its cost is covered by those that continue the subscription. Just like my DirecTV sat dish was free. As for fleet delete, it probably saves $0 and if I were a fleet I would want the theft recovery ability of Onstar. Of course with Onstar onboard Big Brother can probably tell exactly where we are at all times.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I went to the OnStar website and found this. The price I listed in the first post might not be correct as there seems to be a service that is less and a couple more service plans that are more. Who uses this stuff anyway? Oh Jeeves where is the Grey Poupon? :lol

OnStar

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The price of the OnStar is part of the initial base price. You more then likely don't get an option not to have it. However fleet buyers have an option to delete it, so you could alwyas get a car from them somehow.

You can always get it for the first year then cancel it too.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There probably isn’t an extra charge figured into the base price for Onstar. GM probably eats the first year service costs to try and get some people “hooked.” As far as GM is concerned, the first one is free. Just like a drug dealer. Once they got you hooked, you willingly pay for the service.

·
Registered
97 Posts
They made OnStar standard on a lot of '05 stuff without raising the price. Now they package it with an option you really want so you have to get it.

Example: On a '05 Envoy, to get cruise control you pay $275. If you get OnStar and Cruise, you only pay $70. So it is $205 cheaper with Onstar than without.

On an '05 Yukon, Steering wheel radio controls are $125 and auto dimming rearview mirror with compass is $175. However, if you order the ONSTAR plus package, you get the steering wheel controls, mirror, and Onstar for only $10. Let's say you REALLY didn't want Onstar though, and you wanted the mirror and SWC, it would cost you $290 MORE to get those without ordering onstar too.

I don't know why they want to push OnStar so bad. They've made it cheaper to get a vehicle equipped with OnStar than without it.

Oh, and onstar is $199/year for the basic package which includes most of the stuff anyone will use anyway.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
eatoninside said:
I don't know why they want to push OnStar so bad. They've made it cheaper to get a vehicle equipped with OnStar than without it.
The same reason grocery stores offer you a discount for using thier "club card", to gather data on buyers habits and compile useful databases that they can use for their own marketing and sell to third parties. Also they can make a ton of money on the monthly service just like cell phone companies.

·
Registered
154 Posts
kill switch?

Let's say the car is stolen and On-Star finds it running down I-70. Can they disable the car when it is in operation? Or in a police chase? How much control of the car do they have? (other than the door locks?)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Onstar

waiting said:
Let's say the car is stolen and On-Star finds it running down I-70. Can they disable the car when it is in operation? Or in a police chase? How much control of the car do they have? (other than the door locks?)
Not much more control. If your vehicle is stolen, the tracking feature helps track your car so the police know where it is, the Onstar people cant just "shut off" your car. I truly believe that Onstar should be a thing that would be a great for a roadster since they frequently get stolen. Plus, the main feature of Onstar is road side assistance-kind of like what AAA offers. Being able to unlock your car, tracking it down in case it is stolen, and rode side assistance make me want to pay $200 a year for it...these are quite luxury features!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am reading this right off the GM website

for 16.95 a month you get the following

Automatic Notification of Air Bag Deployment
Emergency Services

GMTM GoodwrenchTM Remote Diagnostics
Remote Door Unlock

Stolen Vehicle Tracking
Roadside Assistance

AccidentAssist
Remote Horn And Lights

Online Concierge Services

for 34.95 a month you get the above and

Driving Directions
Information/Convenience Services
RideAssist

and then there is one for 70 a month that gets you a personal concierge.

When looking through what they offer some of it is very useful in certain situations. If i ever got into an accident I would love to have onstar be able to summon an ambulance and contact me when my airbag deploys, but hopefully I will never use that feature. Also, I can appreciate the feature to unlock my doors remotely, but for the once or twice that I have locked myself out I just carry a spare key in my wallet or under the bumper. But, for these features I would have a hard time justifying forking over 200 a year, since if all goes well I will not use the system once. If GM had a cheaper one that was maybe 8 dollars a month and with a usage fee of $50 or $100 I would be tempted. Then my fixed cost could be around $100 a year, and I would still be covered by the same basic features.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You left out one feature that is very important and the one people will use the most. OnStar is also a built in hands free cellular phone. The vehicle has its own phone number just like any other phone. People can call you and you can make outbound calls too. When I had Onstar in my last vehicle it was a nice feature. The minutes are expensive, so I only used them if I needed to, but I hear they are going to allow you to use minutes from a regular cell phone plan from Verizon or similar provider in the near future. This would make the minutes sooo much cheaper. With the first year they throw in you get 30 calling minutes included.

Remote diagnostics is neat too. I recall one person with a 2000 Deville. Her check engine light came on while she was driving so she called Onstar and they diagnosed the problem and downloaded a software update to fix the light all as she was driving down the freeway!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Remote diagnostics is neat too. I recall one person with a 2000 Deville. Her check engine light came on while she was driving so she called Onstar and they diagnosed the problem and downloaded a software update to fix the light all as she was driving down the freeway![/QUOTE]

This one I find interesting seeing how every software update I have ever done must be done with key on / engine off and in some cases depending on the vehicle some fuses have to be pulled. Maybe I should start using Onstar instead of Tech II and Tis, It sounds like it could be quicker.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
eatoninside said:

Oh, and onstar is $199/year for the basic package which includes most of the stuff anyone will use anyway.
GM is making money hand over fist on their OnStar service! It is one of their brite spots in their North American operations. Think about it. You sell a couple million cars with Onstar per yer. A percentage of those buyers do subscribe to the service. However, hardly any of them ever use it, or when they do its not very often. You have some operators, and a tech department working on enhancing the technology, but there really isn't much additional overhead.

Most of that $199 per month is straigh profit from most subscribers. Its not easy to get people to give you what amounts to essentially free money!

Just give them the technology free at first, get them hooked, and then collect monthly service fees for the rest of time. Just like Tivo, HDTV, or cell phones.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Also, I can appreciate the feature to unlock my doors remotely, but for the once or twice that I have locked myself out I just carry a spare key in my wallet

It is a good feature, but think about it, if you are locked out you can't hit that Onstar button on the mirror, so either you need Onstar's phone number or an extra key in your wallet. :banghead

·
Premium Member
10,405 Posts
One quick observation about the PINPLE in the trunk of the Solstice and although some one said it was for the antenna for the XM radio, I hope it is NOT the antenna for OnStar:banghead

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Remote diagnostics is neat too. I recall one person with a 2000 Deville. Her check engine light came on while she was driving so she called Onstar and they diagnosed the problem and downloaded a software update to fix the light all as she was driving down the freeway!
XLER8ER said:
This one I find interesting seeing how every software update I have ever done must be done with key on / engine off and in some cases depending on the vehicle some fuses have to be pulled. Maybe I should start using Onstar instead of Tech II and Tis, It sounds like it could be quicker.
Bwaaahaaahaa! :glol I was thinking the same thing!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
XLER8ER said:
Also, I can appreciate the feature to unlock my doors remotely, but for the once or twice that I have locked myself out I just carry a spare key in my wallet

It is a good feature, but think about it, if you are locked out you can't hit that Onstar button on the mirror, so either you need Onstar's phone number or an extra key in your wallet. :banghead
I bet those OnStar operators get some real stupid calls. Here is one I foresee
from new Solstice / Sky owners. :lol
New owner: OnStar I've locked myself out of my new car! :leaving
OnStar operator: OK sir can I have your pin # and I will take care of that problem.
New Owner: OK here it is 1234 Thanks so much, I feel so stupid.
OnStar: Sir your top is down you have no problem!
New Owner: Oh S**t! :cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts