Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone order it with on-star...I have seen where that funny little antenna GM uses for Onstar...not sure where it will show up on the sol...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
OnStar will supposedly not be available until Sept 2005 on cars.
When it arrives it's supposed to use a dual antena so that if you get XM they'll share the same antena area.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,412 Posts
sight unseen said:
Anyone order it with on-star...I have seen where that funny little antenna GM uses for Onstar...not sure where it will show up on the sol...
According to the latest reports from Small Dealer and Conejo148 On-Star will not be available for now on the Solstice. The XM which is the other feature that is offer, that antenna (I call it the PIMPLE) if you were to order XM, it would be located in the middle of the trunk. However if and when On-Start is available it would probably be together with the XM (PIMPLE) on the middle of the trunk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thanks good to know...Not a pig fan of the pimple myself, whereever it shows up... :yesnod:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
adamacious said:
I don't like onstar...
its seems to me that its a cell-phone thats stuck in your car, can only call one number, and is real expensive :eek:.
Though I have an 05 with OnStar, I don’t use it because I already have a cell I use all the time. However, they are currently offering me 100 minutes at $19.99 that don’t expire for a year. I tried the intro free minutes when I bought the car and it was convenient hands-free calling. The Voice-activated dialing was easy to use and program lists of frequently called numbers. There are supposedly no dead-zones like cellular and it was clear to talk on even though it goes through the radio speakers and a separate mic. It's really as cheap as or cheaper than most "pay-as-you-go" cell plans at the current special offers.

I’m not saying it's a good deal compared to a cell but it can be useful and handy on long trips for example and the current digital technology is much better than the analog based technology in my wife's 01 Burb. I think the best features are the remote unlock and the EMS activation if the airbags deploy in an accident, plus its GPS aids in theft recover. I regret not having it available for my Solstice mainly for the theft recovery issue. It’s too bad they don’t offer a better "menu" of pick and choose options with reasonable pricing, but I guess like the cell companies, they want to bleed you regularly to make a buck while guaranteeing their overheads covered.

I think if GM priced the simple plans more competitively, Id breakdown and get it for the wife (esp. driving the kids around). As it is now I just have to pay a small fee for her phone on my cell plan and to replace her cell since see loses it about every year or so.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
adamacious said:
I don't like onstar...
its seems to me that its a cell-phone thats stuck in your car, can only call one number, and is real expensive :eek:.
I find it hard to believe that you can say you don't like something you know nothing about. Check it out. ( www.OnStar.com )
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
Solstick said:
I think if GM priced the simple plans more competitively, Id breakdown and get it for the wife (esp. driving the kids around).
The Safe & Sound OnStar Plan (the base plan that comes with the system for one year) is only $199 per year. Sign up for longer and the price is discounted (simular to XM). And that is before the insurance savings. 35% off the theft portion of your policy here, sure it is simular in most states.

For a comparison, take the under $16.60 per month ($199/12) and compare to the cost of a home security monitoring system. Most ads I see for those run $22-$28 per month. I think that makes the OnStar price look reasonable.

Also the newest OnStar feature is the ability to link it with a new Verizon account. Can use the minutes on your phone or in the car. Can set it up to ring the car when you are in it so you don't have to pull your phone out from your pocket while driving.

Or as Solstick pointed out, with the system in the car and an active subscription, $19.99 (even if it was full price at $40) makes a cheap back up emergency phone.

Did you know that with OnStar you can get an email account for the car? Solstick at myonstar dot com could be you new address.


www.OnStar.com
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Small Dealer said:
I find it hard to believe that you can say you don't like something you know nothing about. Check it out. (www.OnStar.com)
I've gotta back Small Dealer on this one, OnStar is far more then just a cell phone. Technically you can't even use the cell phone part unless you pay extra for it. But I would never use it for that. The LoJack ability almost made me buy it myself.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Anyone know if you can add OnStar later to a car? Now that the first 1000 don't have it I wonder if someone will want that later?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
mceb said:
Anyone know if you can add OnStar later to a car? Now that the first 1000 don't have it I wonder if someone will want that later?
I'm new here and would like to thank everyone for all the useful info provided.

I wanted the OnStar option for my Solstice order but was also told it wouldn't be available until Sept/Oct. I asked it it could be retrofitted once the Dealer received it and was told no.

I called the Service Dept. anyway and asked them. They have the OnStar parts available for other GM vehicles, but the Solstice is not in their system yet. At any rate, a ballpark price for a Dealer installed OnStar was quoted as 3 to 4 thousand for the parts, plus installation.

I guess I will have to do without OnStar.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,412 Posts
Must people are buying this car because of the gorgeous lines and looks, so people close your eyes and envision a small shark finn sticking up in the middle of the trunk. I rather purchase Lo-Jack I think that is what is called and that gives me the theft locator. What I like to see but not for this car is for AAA to buy On-Star and bundle it with their service.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
LatinVenom said:
Must people are buying this car because of the gorgeous lines and looks, so people close your eyes and envision a small shark finn sticking up in the middle of the trunk. I rather purchase Lo-Jack I think that is what is called and that gives me the theft locator. What I like to see but not for this car is for AAA to buy On-Star and bundle it with their service.
Yeah, I've decided to go with LoJack unless OnStar is out by the time I want ti AND GM has dropped the price on adding it to a car. If it was $200 to install I'd get it for sure. But instead I'll just spend the one time $650 LoJack install fee and be happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Small Dealer said:
...For a comparison, take the under $16.60 per month ($199/12) and compare to the cost of a home security monitoring system.

Also the newest OnStar feature is the ability to link it with a new Verizon account. Can use the minutes on your phone or in the car. Can set it up to ring the car when you are in it so you don't have to pull your phone out from your pocket while driving.

Or as Solstick pointed out, with the system in the car and an active subscription, $19.99 (even if it was full price at $40) makes a cheap back up emergency phone.

Did you know that with OnStar you can get an email account for the car? Solstick at myonstar dot com could be you new address.


OK I agree with the pitch in general, but...
1. Dont think you can compare to a home security system cause they're different problems and risks. I would have got it for the GPS theft recovery but as has been pointed out...not available on my EOP. That only leaves an aftermarket system as has been discussed. There are ways to hack the GPS in the Onstar components as has been posted on the Net. BTW it's not a small device and may take up considerable space in the solstice, hence the difficulty engineering it into EOP cars.
2. The Verizon link is a great idea, but I have Sprint and it therefore does me no good unless the expand to include other careers. I think that is a marketing misstep. Would seriously consider it then. And why not make a multicar discount for us GM loyalists?
3. It is a cheap backup cell, I just hadnt gotten around yet to add more minutes to my safe & secure which I got free for the first year for buying the car.
4. I already have way too many email accounts to check and I never use my PDA phone for the Internet/email because I dont have time. I cant imagine anyone being productive with that feature as part of their daily job unless they're on the road alot. (though one of the smarter forum members than me will probably come up with a good example to show me the exception to this.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Fwiw, I just checked on insurance for a new car (not a Solstice) and Onstar would have saved me a whopping $11 per YEAR. I have it on my current vehicle. Haven't touched that button in the 6 months I've had it. To me, it just isn't worth the cost, either up-front or ongoing. Although the connection to a normal cell phone is intriguing. Too bad I have Nexxtel :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
ddecart said:
Fwiw, I just checked on insurance for a new car (not a Solstice) and Onstar would have saved me a whopping $11 per YEAR. I have it on my current vehicle. Haven't touched that button in the 6 months I've had it. To me, it just isn't worth the cost, either up-front or ongoing. Although the connection to a normal cell phone is intriguing. Too bad I have Nexxtel :)
you hit on a good point. when onstar says it will save you X% on your insurance, they inflate that number. usually it saves about 5-15% ON YOUR COMPREHENSIVE (or other than collision) COVERAGE ONLY! so you are talking next to nothing.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
swatthefly said:
you hit on a good point. when onstar says it will save you X% on your insurance, they inflate that number. usually it saves about 5-15% ON YOUR COMPREHENSIVE (or other than collision) COVERAGE ONLY! so you are talking next to nothing.
No, I am faily sure OnStar is usually accurate in their statements. Here is a quick find from their site:

"GMAC Insurance recognizes the value of these safety features, and is offering a special OnStar subscriber rate, including a 20% discount on your Comprehensive coverage, for as long as you maintain an active OnStar subscription."


And thank you for being in agreement about how inexpensive it is. While I wouldn't classify the cost as "next to nothing", I will accept your term for it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Small Dealer said:
No, I am faily sure OnStar is usually accurate in their statements. Here is a quick find from their site:

"GMAC Insurance recognizes the value of these safety features, and is offering a special OnStar subscriber rate, including a 20% discount on your Comprehensive coverage, for as long as you maintain an active OnStar subscription."


And thank you for being in agreement about how inexpensive it is. While I wouldn't classify the cost as "next to nothing", I will accept your term for it.
That's only if you go with GMAC Auto Insurance. If you have GMAC and OnStar they've got a slew of available options to get discounts due to OnStar. However if you have progressive or allstate or any other insurnace company they don't value it as highly so the discount isn't as great.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
brentil said:
That's only if you go with GMAC Auto Insurance. If you have GMAC and OnStar they've got a slew of available options to get discounts due to OnStar. However if you have progressive or allstate or any other insurnace company they don't value it as highly so the discount isn't as great.

Actually the post wasn't about the amount of discount, it was about OnStar being deceptive about the discount. My post was to show that OnStar uses the notation that the discount is on "comprehensive" parts of a policy, in contrast to swatthefly suggesting they didn't. But you are correct each state (or perhaps each company) can have a different discount structure.

And for those keeping track, in Massachusetts it is 35% off the comprehensive for OnStar.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top