Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok who all is getting Onstar for their solstice. I know I am just for the vehicle tracking. I live in a ruff part of town and work in the poor part of town. I just want to know that if my car is stolen they might catch them. I mean it’s not like we will have to worry about locking our keys in our cars with the top down. But you might with your top up you never know. I also like the idea of air bag deployment help too. For those of you that don’t know OnStar offers Automatic air bag deployment – which lets emergency services know that they have gone off. Remote door unlock – to unlock your doors if your keys are locked in. Stolen vehicle location assistances – GPS tracking to help police find your car if stolen. Emergency services – which calls and Onstar ask what’s wrong and you tell them and they call the services that is write and lets them know where you are. Vehicle diagnostics – so you know what is wrong with your car. Hands free calling – like a pre-paid phone that is integrated in your car. Driving directions – so if you get lost. Rideassist – so if you can not drive they will call you a cab. Information/convenience services – get service recommendations and directory information. In case you want to know more here is their site http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/index.jsp

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
LoJack and OnStar........

I wanted OnStar, but did not order due to the fact it would have held up my order. LoJack also offers tracking........ :yesnod:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya but come on GPS with 7 antennas hidden through out the car come on now that’s just cool. Who knows I might do both. You never know what some you may need.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Onstar stupidity

Is GM really going to force all next model year 2007 to accept Onstar hardware? Sounds like management under financial pressure to start a new revenue stream without regard to their wide customer base. The business schools probably pushing the latest idea: cell phone contracts, cable TV, MS software update contracts, etc. Time Warner even let phony shell-master AOL disrupt it's otherwise solid business. Oh great GM. Don't miss the bandwagon. Forget what your customer really wants.

Sure, a portion of that base will enjoy Onstar, surely the Cadillac crowd. But what about the low end Chevy customer? I think this thing could chase away many customers. I know I will hate the Antenna on my Sol.

Managers under quarterly pressure can sure be stupid. Come on GM. Wake up. Your emporer has no clothes! :cuss:

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
g0t_w00t said:
Ok who all is getting Onstar for their solstice.
I ordered it...have on on my lowly chevy malibu maxx....but my car was preferenced before the constraint was lifted...and I had standing instructions with my dealer not to delay the order if OnStar was an issue....

for almost $850, since you have to purchase the headliner now..I dont think it is a viable option for the solstice....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I already have two OnStar equipped vehicles and would not purchase a new car without it. It is a great service.

P.S. Since when is Chevrolet low end. Just because you can buy cheapies doesnt mean they all are.

·
5,641 Posts
dave clancy said:
didnt order it because it will be another payment you pay every month

No it wouldn't. Just pay it once and be done.

·
Registered
44 Posts
dave clancy said:
didnt order it because it will be another payment you pay every month
When I order my Solstice, I'm going to get it because some insurance companies give discounts for cars with OnStar, Lojack, etc. In a few years, I bet the system will pay for itself.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Tuxford said:
Is GM really going to force all next model year 2007 to accept Onstar hardware? Sounds like management under financial pressure to start a new revenue stream without regard to their wide customer base. The business schools probably pushing the latest idea: cell phone contracts, cable TV, MS software update contracts, etc. Time Warner even let phony shell-master AOL disrupt it's otherwise solid business. Oh great GM. Don't miss the bandwagon. Forget what your customer really wants.

Sure, a portion of that base will enjoy Onstar, surely the Cadillac crowd. But what about the low end Chevy customer? I think this thing could chase away many customers. I know I will hate the Antenna on my Sol.

Managers under quarterly pressure can sure be stupid. Come on GM. Wake up. Your emporer has no clothes! :cuss:
Is it just me, or did this not make much sense?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Insurance.......

cwt137 said:
When I order my Solstice, I'm going to get it because some insurance companies give discounts for cars with OnStar, Lojack, etc. In a few years, I bet the system will pay for itself.
Had LoJack on my Porsche. It only lowered the insurance by $7 per month. :yesnod:

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
dave clancy said:
I was told you get so many months free then you start paying monthly payments
or you can pay once for the year or two or three...depending on how much you want to pay..they do offer monthly payments..but I just subscribe for the year..and pay all up front

·
Registered
264 Posts
OnStar for the World!

ntouched said:
Had LoJack on my Porsche. It only lowered the insurance by $7 per month. :yesnod:
Can't argue with $7/mo, but it was a Porshe, not a Pontiac! Anyway, if I were stealing the car, I think I would just snap off the antenna first. But no one ever accused me of being very smart.

Anyway, this is America! Can't we all join hands and just have our own choice? And then we can all be happy... But nooo...GM execs know best, right? Sorry, but I have to wonder if just a few posters here work for GM as professional posters. Yes, I am bit cynical, but I too lost a bunch in the stock market a few years back while listening to the pros. Never again. :yawn:

·
Registered
265 Posts
well. i just checked with my dealer about adding on-star (since my "first allocation" order still isn't picked up). not only does it require the premium headliner (which is fine with me), but it requires XM radio as well. so i had to add that in (only had the 6 disc changer before). guess i'm getting the shark-fin on the decklid as well. i only listen to cd's and won't pay for the XM subscription after the trial expires, so it's wasted on me.

just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else was thinking about it.

·
5,641 Posts
scottjl said:
well. i just checked with my dealer about adding on-star (since my "first allocation" order still isn't picked up). not only does it require the premium headliner (which is fine with me), but it requires XM radio as well. so i had to add that in (only had the 6 disc changer before). guess i'm getting the shark-fin on the decklid as well. i only listen to cd's and won't pay for the XM subscription after the trial expires, so it's wasted on me.

just wanted to pass this on in case anyone else was thinking about it.

OnStar doesn't require XM Radio.

The only restrictions are OnStar requires the Headliner, Headliner requires OnStar, OnStar and XM together require Monsoon Speaker System.

You can get OnStar with out XM. Confirmed in the order guide, auto book, and submitted an order to VOMS.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Small Dealer said:
OnStar doesn't require XM Radio.

The only restrictions are OnStar requires the Headliner, Headliner requires OnStar, OnStar and XM together require Monsoon Speaker System.

You can get OnStar with out XM. Confirmed in the order guide, auto book, and submitted an order to VOMS.
my dealer says every time they try to add onstar to my order it gets kicked out as requiring XM radio. they speculate it is because of the antenna needed. i had the 6disc radio and monsoon speakers in my order.

personally, if i'm going to have the antenna on back, i might as well get the XM anyway. i didn't order it before because i didn't want the antenna spoiling the decklid just for the radio. but i would like the onstar option.

so maybe onstar + monsoon forces you to get XM as well..?

·
5,641 Posts
scottjl said:
my dealer says every time they try to add onstar to my order it gets kicked out as requiring XM radio. they speculate it is because of the antenna needed. i had the 6disc radio and monsoon speakers in my order.

personally, if i'm going to have the antenna on back, i might as well get the XM anyway. i didn't order it before because i didn't want the antenna spoiling the decklid just for the radio. but i would like the onstar option.

so maybe onstar + monsoon forces you to get XM as well..?

I don't have an order in the system to change as your dealership is trying to do. But in case it wasn't clear in my post, I was able to place an order with the OnStar, 6 Disc , and Monsoon with out having to add the XM Radio. SO maybe an order can't be changed but could be entered.

Not trying to talk you out of XM, I have two units and stream online. Just trying to clarify that it isn't required with OnStar.

Probably not worth placing a new order for your car as your current order may be price protected for the premium package and wheels if you ordered before September's price increase. WOuld be harder to price protect a new order if placed today.

Plus I think you may enjoy the XM.

·
Registered
265 Posts
weird. oh well.

like i said. i'm not a fan of the radio at all. i've got about 700+ cd's in my ever growing collection, i like to listen to my own music. never could stand the rambling dj's and short playlists of the radio. with the 6 disc mp3 playing system i'll have hours and hours of my own music to enjoy. else i would have gone for the 1 disc + XM system.

weird that they can't change it to what i want. i am locked into a price (or so they tell me. i don't have anything in writing). thing is i'm not locking to a date which seems to keep getting pushed out further and further (which is making me suspect something is going on.. i went from #1 of 2 to ?? out of four and was told "maybe by april" for a delivery date). but i figured if i'm stuck at 2030, might as well make changes now!

if anyone else has tried to change to add onstar, could you post your results?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts