Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From this blurb on gm inside news:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/

Tuesday, June 7th GM Executives will gather in Wilmington, DE for their annual share holder meeting. The fact that they are gathering in Wilmington is quite interesting because the plant is currently undergoing renovations to make the upcoming Kappa cars. There is still piece of the puzzle missing however as Wilmington has 200,000+ units capacity per year, and the currently announced Kappa models only take up 40,000 units of the production.

There is already a spy shot of a new Kappa like car in the shareholder brochure, that has sparked speculation. Will GM announce more Kappa/other cars to be made at Wilmington?

On top of the above speculation, this shareholder meeting already has the stage set to be quite serious with GM in the worst shape it has been in for many years. As always, GMI will stay on top of all the breaking news coming from what promises to be one eventful meeting!
Hmmm.... Nomad, anyone? Or Solstice coupe? :party:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
OH, let it be the curvy Curve! PLEASE!

jimbo said:
Hmmm.... Nomad, anyone? Or Solstice coupe?
I really hope it is the Curve. The 2004 Curve concept is knock your socks off stunning, and I'd plunk down 30k to drive one. Here's a pic of the front view:

For me, I saw this car and said, "Wow! I can drive that for about 22K? WHERE DO I SIGN??!!!?! Is a $10,000 deposit enough, or should I scrape together $15,000?" :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Nope - it's a pic that is REALLY blurry and looks like a bar of soap that could remotely be kappa-based... or delta-based... or... it could just be a Sky...

:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
At least there's a spot for the licence plate

Crimson Avenger said:
I really hope it is the Curve. The 2004 Curve concept is knock your socks off stunning, and I'd plunk down 30k to drive one. Here's a pic of the front view:

For me, I saw this car and said, "Wow! I can drive that for about 22K? WHERE DO I SIGN??!!!?! Is a $10,000 deposit enough, or should I scrape together $15,000?" :cool:
Not my cup of tea, but enjoy Crimson Avenger.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Actually, just becaue the plant use to produce 200,000+ cars doesn't mean that it still can. The process used to build the kappa is one that is very slow, but low cost. That means they will never be able to produce at that rate. I have heard rumors that they are not using the full plant, which might leave more room to produce more, but not nearly what they were producing

·
Registered
71 Posts
That bottom pic looks like the backside of the solstice, nothing new...

But the top pic seems to have a straight line through the center of a higher up and larger grill. Similar to Chevrolet's current trademark... maybe they'll get a version of the Sky/Solstice???

I doubt it though, looks to be nothing more than drawings, anyway, and I think very few drawings ever even have models built... let alone make it to production.

·
Registered
275 Posts
MO-KAN SHO said:
That bottom pic looks like the backside of the solstice, nothing new...

But the top pic seems to have a straight line through the center of a higher up and larger grill. Similar to Chevrolet's current trademark... maybe they'll get a version of the Sky/Solstice???

I doubt it though, looks to be nothing more than drawings, anyway, and I think very few drawings ever even have models built... let alone make it to production.
thats what i saw too, however, i was thinking more along the lines of maybe a smaller kappa SUV?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Is it just me or does that fuzzy drawing look awfully tall, almost like it was built on a truck frame?? It might not even be a Kappa.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yeah that bottom picture looks to be a Solstice.

·
Registered
535 Posts
swatthefly said:
thats what i saw too, however, i was thinking more along the lines of maybe a smaller kappa SUV?
That's what I saw in that blurry pic, a Pontiac Transport Speedster! :lol:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yep ... the bottom one absolutely looks like the Solstice and the one on top appears to be an SSR from what I see also. I've attached a pic that I scanned from a magazine ad that appears to be taken from a similar vantage point. There are several distinguishing characteristics that stand out in both: the bar that runs horizontally across the front grill with the Chevy cross in the middle, the platform-step that runs under the side doors, the large protruding fenders around the wheel. The height and shape at the front of it also appears much more in line with the SSR. I don't think there's anything new there.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
They'll need to add other vehicles to the platform to support the overhead of the factory. This was one of the main reasons for the demise of the Fiero.

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The low production for the Solstice is based primarily on the slowly-produced hydroformed body panels. If GM were to design a more conservatively styled Kappa coupe or 2+2 that didn't rely on a hyrdoformed body, why couldn't such a car be used for that excess capacity available at Wilmington?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey! Don't forget the Opel! Even if it doesn't come before 2007 they'll need to start production in ~1 year.

And I think Opel should be able to sell ~ the same number of cars as Mazda is selling MX-5's here (in Europe, not only Germany).

Pontiac and Saturn will cover the North American market and Opel Europe. I think both markets are comparable. So if the number of "convertibles per customer" isn't much higher in America than in Europe the number of Opel kappas produced needs to be equal to the number of Saturn + Pontiac kappas produced.

That means if it is 20,000 Pontiac + 10,000 Saturn, then it could well be 30,000 Opel (just an example).

If Wilmington will not be able to handle this, Bochum plant will gladly take over ;) .

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Why does everbody think that Kappas are the only cars they could assemble there?

The Auto Alliance plant assembles both the Mazda6 and Mustang.

Mazda, at the Ujina No.1 plant in Japan assembles the MX-5, RX-8, Demio, Verisa and MPV.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts