Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I wonder what its acceleration is like. The article didn't list it. Hopefully they aren't playing the game of top speed and gas mileage and not telling you that 0-60 takes two minutes like the solar powered cars.

·
Registered
183 Posts
EWW a diesel, I'll take the gas guzzling 4 banger. A diesel sports car would never sell here. I'm pretty surprised they are putting one in a SC of there. An econo box I understand but....... :nono:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Look at the weight. Under 1500 lbs.

A Solstice is twice the weight, and therefore would not be nearly as fast or get close to that gas mileage.

Actually, the Solstice as is should be good on gas, and reach a good top end speed anyway. One estimate for mileage figures I have seen is 24/28 city/highway. They may not be exact, but mid 20's in fuel mileage is pretty good for a fun car these days.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
We will eventually have to get used to diesels over here. This concept is neat, but don't expect anything like that here or there anytime soon. Notice 0 to 60 times are suspiciously AWOL. As the oil supply becomes more strained by demand and becomes depleated, we will have to get used to diesels here. Modern diesels are pretty good and are a far cry from those awful things we had in the 70's. If GM and Ford are smart, they'll start working on a diesel program now. Daimler/Chrysler already has this covered.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
We will eventually have to get used to diesels over here. This concept is neat, but don't expect anything like that here or there anytime soon. Notice 0 to 60 times are suspiciously AWOL. As the oil supply becomes more strained by demand and becomes depleated, we will have to get used to diesels here. Modern diesels are pretty good and are a far cry from those awful things we had in the 70's. If GM and Ford are smart, they'll start working on a diesel program now. Daimler/Chrysler already has this covered.
Actually, I think there may be a decent size market for diesels here already. The industry has created a self fulfilling prophecy by continuing to say that Americans won't accept them, when in fact, they seem to be an engine people in this country would like a lot. They are fairly fuel efficient, they have tons of low end torque for those daily slogs.

Since I bought a Jeep Wrangler, I have spent time on the Jeep forum, and there is certainly a group of people there who would love to see diesel Wranglers for off roading.

Once they implement low sulfer fuel over here, automakers can start introducing diesels more, and get people to see how far they have come!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts