Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Didn't really change too much from the Sky...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Drex said:
Didn't really change too much from the Sky...
It has been pretty well known for a long time that the Opel would be a re-badged Sky :yesnod:

These are the first pictures I've seen of it. To be honest, I much prefer the Opel badging, to the Saturn logo :(

I seem to remember the front end of the Solstice wouldn't meet some EU pedestrian impact standards...

Good Find :thumbs:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Exhaust

I love that exhaust treatment. Is that the same as on the Sky?

·
Happily In The Club
563 Posts
I own a 1972 Opel GT. I'm thrilled to see that Opel is coming out with a new GT model. I think it will be cool to have my Solstice and the Opel in the same garage.

·
1,492 Posts
Beautiful car!

I like how they covered fron openings with black grills. Gives it a sleaker look.
I agree the rear with twin exhaust nice. Too bad this car won't be marketed in US. Maybe some of these features will appear in later Sols or Skys

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
whitefang said:
Beautiful car!

I like how they covered fron openings with black grills. Gives it a sleaker look.
I agree the rear with twin exhaust nice. Too bad this car won't be marketed in US. Maybe some of these features will appear in later Sols or Skys
That's cause they weren't stuck with hexagons as a styling mandate!!!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Yup basically a Sky sold under the Opel name.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Notice how the Opel GT (Sky too) has the larger openings next to the fog lights, et al. Solstice GXP. Looks like the GT/Sky was design with larger air passages from the start. Will be tough to tell the turbo and non-turbo versions apart from the front.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
whitefang said:
Actually the Sky has the same grill. If you look at the attached image you can see it. The Opel grill might be painted silver, but it's hard to tell if it's just light reflecting off the grill or if it's a lighter color. As for the tail pipes, My guess is that Opel gets the Turbo and thus the duel exhaust that goes with it.

I wonder how many Saturn owners will switch out the badges and made their cars into Opels like those "Honda" Integra/RSX cars I've seen. :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
I wonder if I can afford to get an Opel and still put a supercharger on the Mustang . . . hmmm . . . I think yes

·
Registered
249 Posts
Dual exhausts....hmmmm sure looks like a turbo to me. Almost makes me want a Sky Redline. I agree with the grill treatment, a little better than the honeycomb treatment.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Kinda Dissapointing

Man the concept at least has some different lines in it. This seems to be an exact rebadge. Oh well, at least no one has to worry about trying to get one imported.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi, everybody (1st post) great forum for a really nice car :)

the opel GT will most probably come with the 2.0 turbo engine, mostly for tax reasons I suppose.
The word is that it is going to be a simple rebadge of the saturn sky
If it is going to be a rebadge, I wish this would be a Solstice rebadge but
1. The solstice is to beautiful to fit in the Opel family :cool: (we actually own an Opel :( )
2.There is supposed to be some kind of pedestrian safety regulation that stops Solstice from coming to Europe

But! my guess is that since the sky makes it across the Atlantic can't imagine this safety regulation be as much of a deal breaker as other factors
1.The front bumper needs to be aesthetically altered since it clearly points at BMW (at least for us Europeans)
2.I can't think of a GM brand that could accomodate the Solstice, in a matter of looks, in Europe (that hadn't stopped GM from adding the Monaro in Vauxhall's range)
3.I would't rule out completely the possibility this decision to be some kind of agreement with FIAT. Since the Opel Corsa-to come and Fiat Punto are based on the same platform one would think that the same would apply for the Opel GT- Fiat ????sth. To back it up I'll mention all the rumors heard some time ago about Fiat or Alfa Romeo builting a new roadster. Plus the fact that solstice seems like a really hot italian roadster from the 60's
Actually I couldn't think of a better rival for the MX5 European domination than the Solstice and that is that makes me wonder why GM is backing up.

Anyway I love the looks of Solstice and I wish all you owners and prospect owners feel as good as your Solstice looks

·
5,600 Posts
body&sol said:
Anyway I love the looks of Solstice and I wish all you owners and prospect owners feel as good as your Solstice looks
I will definitely feel good once I get my Solstice. I'm getting a GXP and I have to wait to order one and will have to wait many more months before I can drive it.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Latest issue of Auto Express (UK car mag) has a piture of a Vauxhall GT on the cover . . appears to be a photochopped pic of the Black Opel GT pictures shown earlier in the thread. Thier speculation id that it will actually be sold as an Opel GT in Vauxhall showrooms here in the UK as an import. Nice 'chop job at least. Vauxhall GT Pics HERE (click)

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Frosty said:
Latest issue of Auto Express (UK car mag) has a piture of a Vauxhall GT on the cover . . appears to be a photochopped pic of the Black Opel GT pictures shown earlier in the thread. Thier speculation id that it will actually be sold as an Opel GT in Vauxhall showrooms here in the UK as an import. Nice 'chop job at least. Vauxhall GT Pics HERE (click)
Pretty blatant photochop... :rolleyes:

Besides, with the shiity press coming out of the UK, if I WERE Bob Lutz, I'd say "why bother, you guys already decided you don't want one anyway..."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts