Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
goofy said:
Announced at Wilmington Assembly today that the Opel Kappa Roadster has been approved . Production and manpower details will be announced later. This is an export product.
Dude, what is it with all these first time posters bringing us bad ass information!!!

Welcome aboard goofy, thanks for the great information.
With all the rumors of a 3rd Kappa this is what I was guessing it would be. Opel Kappa can more then likely double as a Vauxhall Kappa too since they've always been pretty much the same.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Michael said:
brentil? Is that the one with the wonderful third brake light that we both liked?
If the image I've attached is the one you mean, then yes. This is what the most recent rendition of the Opel Kappa care, more then likely called the Opel GT looks like.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,412 Posts
Michael said:
That's the one! I love the way they did the whole of the back of that car. Now THAT car looks aggressive.
Here is the SKY back end, they seem close, the difference as I see it, is the Opel is very smooth, the SKY has that crease on the trunk. I might add it would be nice if Saturn could incorporate that design into the SKY. It is defenetly a nicer look. :cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pic LatinVenom. I really do like the 'edgy' look of the Opel. I like the way they did the tailights, that third brake light treatment and especially that ridge along the rear fender. The rear treatment on the Opel far more compliments the appearance of the front of the car than say that the Sky. That being said, it is my own opinion of course and I do believe both are incredibly handsome cars.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Michael said:
Thanks for sharing the pic LatinVenom. I really do like the 'edgy' look of the Opel. I like the way they did the tailights, that third brake light treatment and especially that ridge along the rear fender. The rear treatment on the Opel far more compliments the appearance of the front of the car than say that the Sky. That being said, it is my own opinion of course and I do believe both are incredibly handsome cars.
When they're both out someone will either make a body kit to make the Sky look like the GT, or you might just be able to also get teh GT panels for the Sky too. But like you said, I would be perfectly happy owning either car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
mceb said:
GM could also just ship the Sky "as is" to Opel with no changes.
No can do. Even if they left the body "as-is", it would require different glass, marker lights, headlights, instruments, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
GM could also just ship the Sky as is to Opel with no changes.
Possibly, but I don't think that would happen. If you look at any car that's come from Opel or Vauxhall they always get a significant face lift when they arrive here. If you don't then you don't end up with brand differentiation. That's why the Opel Speedster and Vauxhall VX220 look different from each other even though they're the same car, and underneath they're both Lotus Elises. Companies want people to know what car companies car you're driving by looking at it.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
There are two other reasons I can think of for the Opel/Vauxhaul having a different body. First is the European pedestrian impact standards. The Sky may not conform to the new Euro impact standards.

The second reason is the hydroformed bodypanel limitations. GM has essentially said they cannot make more than about 20,000 bodies in any given year for one car. If GM thinks it may be able to move more than 20,000 Opels and Sky's in one year, they would need two sets of hydroform dyes anyway, and if they do that they might as well give the Opel its own look/appearance.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I thought the hydroformed panels used jets of water that are controlled by a computer? If so any limitless # of designs could be created from one machine just by loading new paterns. Either that, or I've got how hydroforming works incorrectly in my mind.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
brentil said:
I thought the hydroformed panels used jets of water that are controlled by a computer? If so any limitless # of designs could be created from one machine just by loading new paterns. Either that, or I've got how hydroforming works incorrectly in my mind.
My understanding of the process is that it is much like blow molding in plastics. A die is made that is precisely shaped to the finished product, then a sheet of metal is inserted, and then the cavity is sealed and flooded with water, or some type of liquid. The chamber is then pressurized by hydrolics and the sheet of metal is forced into the shape of the mold my massive pressure. Then the mold is drained and the formed sheet of steel is removed. The pressure is so tremendous that the sheet can be formed in one go, rather than the multiple step (up to 10 in the old days!!) required by traditional stamping. I'm not sure if they pre-heat the sheet of steel prior to forming or not, anyone know?

Benifits: Low tooling costs and accomodates complex shapes well.

Down side: Slow process
:cheers

1 - 20 of 26 Posts