Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just joined this forum, have been lurking for a while and would still be lurking if I didn't have a small piece of news to share.

Today I read an article (with pictures..) on the new Opel roadster, based on the Saturn Sky, in a Dutch car magazine. Since I don't own a scanner i can't show the photo's. But believe me if I tell you that it is a near perfect copy of the Sky. I did find a picture of the magazine front page on the website of Autoweek so see if you can find the Sky hidden there... :smile

Some info on the Opel "Sky" from the article..

Available in 2006
Available with a 155 hp 2.2L engine OR a 250 hp 2.2L turbo. (yes, a turbo).
and best of all...
Available with a soft top OR a hard top

There was 1 picture with the hard top on the car in the same color as the body. To me it wasn't completely clear if they meant to say a "Coupe" or if it really is a (removable) "hard top". At least it didn't look anything like the Solstice Coupe study model, more like the top on the brownish clay model of the solstice posted somewhere else on the forum.

The Opel will be shown on the Frankfurt carshow in Germany... have still to find out when that will be, maybe i'll be going to see it live.

BTW

Should the Solstice not be available from GM's dealernetwork in Europe, then I am considering importing my own Solstice. Not that the Saturn/Sky looks bad, I just fell in love with the Solstice's lines. Besides, i love uniqueness (or as close to it as i can get). While the Opel "Sky" (official name yet to be determined) will probably be seen a lot on Europe's roads, the Pontiac Solstice will be a rare appearance...

Thanks for all the excellent info and discussions, I really learned a lot about cars and engines the last couple of weeks. Keep it up.

Oh.. and 2 photo's of a Solstice mule test drive that i don't remember seeing before. If they are available on the forum somewhere then i am sorry for
posting them again.

Rene

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Very interesting information. Well here's another bit of information pointing towards a turbo setup again.

If you don't have a scanner to capture the images with you could always use a digital camera to take a picture of the magazine and post those images.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some googling into the Opel Roadster and found some better quality pics from a German magazine Autobild. Not sure how recent the info is, the Dutch magazine is the current issue though (week 3, 12-19 january). The Autobild article mentions the Opel roadster will be build in the US ! So is this an indication of year 2 or year 3 models of or options for the Solstice/Sky ? I don't know, I just supply the pics, you best make your own opinion..

1 pic with hard top up, another as a possible coupe.

and some (German, untranslated) more info on turbo-versions.

GT-Sauger, 155 PS • GT-Soft-Turbo, 180 PS • GT-Mid-Turbo, 210 PS • GT-OPC-Turbo, 240 PS

web-link
http://www.autobild.de/aktuell/neuheiten/artikel.php?artikel_id=7772&artikel_seite=0

Rene

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
It's hard to know what to make of this since GM has not announced anything with regard to another car yet. It has been rumored for a while and a news article just posted in the news section yesterday hinted at another kappa going to Europe (probably rebadged Sky).

We had seen similar pictures (not the hard top) while everyone was awaiting the Sky annoucement.

Would be great if we make a Euro-kappa :patriot

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
According to the article this car has a 300 litres trunk. That's 10.6 cubic feet. According to this article the main difference between this car and the Saturn Sky is the name. It mentiones having ABS, traction control, stability contol, and 4 air bags (guessing front and side).

All the Turbo varations sound cool, but it definetely sounds like a lot of options. I'm guessing Sauger means something like 'base' I guess. Because all I can find online about that word is it's either a fish, vacuum cleaner, pacifier, or sucker translated from german. I can understand base, turbo, and Turbo OPC which is the performance Opel brand, but the 4th option seems kinda out of place.

I have to say I really like thos rims on the Opel GT.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In this case, a zauger would translate to piston in English...

The articles I found regarding the rebadged Saturn Sky as the Opel GT are all from end December 2004 - january 2005. It was also mentioned that the new Opel GT will be introduced in Frankfurt IAA Autoshow, which is in September 2005. So it looks like it is genuine info to me. Maybe the pics are just concepts and might change a bit over time. And it would be smart for GM to build the Kappa Opel GT in the US, seeing as the dollar is low against the Euro right now and expected to remain so for the next 1 or 2 years at least.

Rene

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Zonnewende said:
In this case, a zauger would translate to piston in English...
Ahhhh, ok. That would make more sense, since that would probably imply naturally aspirated over turbocharged. I wonder why teh article had an S and not a Z then.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The pic of the coupe with the long roofline is very interesting. I wonder if that is seriously being considered for production. If so, it could be a clue on what the rumored Subfire replacement on the kappa chassis might look like (if those rumors are true, some doubt it).

Having an available hardtop is an interesting feature too. Many here have wondered whether we would see an optional removable hardtop for the US kappa's.

I'll certainly take one of those 250 HP turbos! Very nice!

Thanks for the pics and info, and welcome to the forum!! :thumbs

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I want the 250HP Turbocharged engine AND 300 litre trunk space. :D

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I think somebody's dreamin'

hate to rain on the parade, but we have yet to see even an inkling of a hardtop.

Maybe for 2007 or 2008, but with the way GM keeps info, you'd think we'd have seen at least one by now.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
I think somebody's dreamin'

hate to rain on the parade, but we have yet to see even an inkling of a hardtop.

Maybe for 2007 or 2008, but with the way GM keeps info, you'd think we'd have seen at least one by now.
Maybe its just a removable hardtop shell for the roadster, similar to the Miata's. (certainly not the coupe looking pic, but the other one).

I find it interesting that this shows up on the forum a couple days after someone posted an email from Pontiac claiming the Sol will be available as a hardtop too. Everyone thought it was validation of a retractable hardtop, but it too might have been a removable hardtop shell.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Maybe its just a removable hardtop shell for the roadster, similar to the Miata's. (certainly not the coupe looking pic, but the other one).

I find it interesting that this shows up on the forum a couple days after someone posted an email from Pontiac claiming the Sol will be available as a hardtop too. Everyone thought it was validation of a retractable hardtop, but it too might have been a removable hardtop shell.

I'd definitely be interested in a removeable hardtop for winter. Only drawback would be that it would lock you into less trunk space all winter, unless the softtop assembly were easily removeable.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I'd definitely be interested in a removeable hardtop for winter. Only drawback would be that it would lock you into less trunk space all winter, unless the softtop assembly were easily removeable.
Okay but how would you even access the trunk with a hardtop. Unless I am missing something it would have to use the same holes as the winglets use to secure itself. That would block the trunk entirely.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I think it might lock you into no trunk all winter! How would a hard top be configured so that you could still get in the trunk?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Hey, that's up to the aftermarket to figure out... most likely. I'm betting it could be secured to the rear bulkhead by bolting on some sort of latch receivers.

·
Registered
209 Posts
AeroDave said:
I think it might lock you into no trunk all winter! How would a hard top be configured so that you could still get in the trunk?

Why worry about gettin into the trunk if it's only 1.378 cubic feet? Remember, this car is built with the mall shopper in mind - a limited mall car.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Since we are not absolutely sure how the softtop attached, I am not ready to guess how the hardtop would attach. However, it may not necessarily have to attach to the winglet attachment points, and possibly it could attach infront of the trunk opening, where the softtop would come out, thereby allowing the trunk to open while it is installed.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Man I would rip the trunk lid off and put on a custom top or aftermarket top on my Sky in a heart beat if it looked like that Opel. In fact that looks exactly like what Opel did. Just replace the rag top and deck lid with a removabel bolt on hard top.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts