Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to if anyone has tried it, Do you lose low end power?

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but based on your signature: Don't you already have one?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe i worded it wrong.. I mean running no exhaust just the downpipe xD My bad guys

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
You have to get the exhaust gasses out to the rear of the car so a Solo street race exhaust would do it. You can't dump the exhaust under the car...

Side pipes maybe? >:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have to get the exhaust gasses out to the rear of the car so a Solo street race exhaust would do it. You can't dump the exhaust under the car...

Side pipes maybe? >:)
Never thought about side pipes... hmm ideas ideas

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts
Not much ground clearance for side pipes.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
2 items SoloPerformance makes....the Street Race Exhaust which is dual exhaust 2.5" all the way back from the cat (I have this). And the Race 3" single exhaust. Both are excellent exhaust systems. Now for the stupid question......why? Why do you want to dump the exhaust after the cat? Performance? Sound? First of all it's a 4 cylinder and you won't ever get the rumble of a V8. Second the 2 Solo exhausts I mention have zero restriction. Unless you're planning on pushing 45psi of boost, at which point you would want to remove the cat anyway because your Solo HFC has a 2.5" outlet anyway, it makes no sense. The turbo muffles the sound enough and with either of the 2 exhausts, the car sounds great.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Yeah I would use the Solo systems as well, I have a Solo system but with a muffler...

Side pipes have been done and they would look sharp. My concern would be them scraping on everything but you'd have to ask those that have them about that.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Honestly, I'd stay away from sidepipes.... You chance burning your legs when getting out of the car.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I was behind a fellow with an electric exhaust dump on his GXP and it sounded great...but I was 75 feet back. It must have been LOUD in the car.

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Honestly, I'd stay away from sidepipes.... You chance burning your legs when getting out of the car.
:agree: My 68 Corvette had a set of Hooker Headers with the side exhaust and as Ghost said unless your carefull or put some type of a shield over the pipes toasting your leg is a common problem .Patriot Exhaust makes a couple different styles in case anyone is interested but I have to believe you would have to buy a pair .

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I was behind a fellow with an electric exhaust dump on his GXP and it sounded great...but I was 75 feet back. It must have been LOUD in the car.
The GXPs really don't get loud....the turbo acts as a muffler.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe like one of those electric exhaust cutouts have one going to the regular exhaust and one with a shorty pipe dumping it out of the passenger side (or both driver and passenger) so you could go from regular rumble to all hell with the click of a button :D

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Here's mine with Street Race...no mufflers...So 1:32, you can hear the linkage as I try to get it in reverse....and then toward the end is WOT. Shows you how quite the car is with straight exhaust.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure if running a hot exhaust pipe that close to the battery is a good idea.. BUT what if you went from downpipe to electric cutout to main exhaust but have the cutout go out to the passenger side?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts