Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am writing this letter in hopes that members of the Pontiac Solstice design team AND/OR Mr. Lutz read this forum's posts from time-to-time and, therefore, profit from the members' feedback and comments and wisdom...

I just got back from the Houston Auto Show (a 400 mile roundtrip) and was greatly disappointed with the current design of your 2006 Solstice. For the vehicle to have any practicality, there must be more trunk space! Few people will purchase an underpowered tiny 2-seater that has no place to store anything (and I do mean ANYTHING). Frankly, the Chevrolet SSR has more utility than the Solstice and we all know what great sales the SSR has had to date.

The Solstice has no room for a small set of golf clubs let alone a few bags of groceries. I can't imagine taking it out for a spin, dropping by the local store and not having a place to store a carton of milk or six-pack (other than on the passenger's lap). Very stupid! This vehicle is NOT a Corvette and has no established customer loyalty base. So, who do you expect to buy it??? The twenty or so geeky Solstice forum members that stay glued to this web site, jerk-off over its pics, and never leave their computers??? You need to be concerned that your real target customer will find this vehicle TOTALLY IMPACTICAL.

Unless you folks want another SSR debacle, I strongly suggest you go back to the lab/studio and redesign the trunk. The obvious solution to me is to lengthen the rear of the vehicle 6" or more, and to also raise the trunk cover a few inches. Having a well/space between the infamous 'hump' and the bumper, say 1 foot square running the width of the vehicle, would solve the problem.

Another reason for enlarging the trunk, the tail-end is already so squat and close to the occupants that a rear-end collision will kill instantly, crushing the occupants like doodle bugs on an Odessa Friday night. There needs to be more distance between the seats and the rear bumper. I have visions of the gas tank being punctured by a Texas-sized pick-up truck collision and the passengers turned into flaming marshmellows (none of the design team was involved with the Pinto, were they?). The gas tank configuration poses serious safety concerns.

Also, there needs to be Z4 -type rollbars behind the seats. Why would BMW's Z4, which has dimensional specs almost identical to the Solstice, have these built-in safety features and not the Solstice? What is the added cost of rollbars? $500? $700? Is Pontiac not concerned about obvious safety flaws?

When I start reading about squashed, burnt-up Solstice owners, I'll be sure and remind Pontiac of this post... at the class-action trial.

Finally, your (leaked) colors proposed for the Solstice are ugly. The color selection shows no imagination and are so-o-o-o Pontiac! Small vehicles need light/bright colors so the vehicle can be seen on the road (unless you plan on full-time running lights). The greys and dark colors are too stealthy. Roadsters turn invisible on windy two lane roads; with dark colors they tend to blend into the pavement. Yellow is a good start but how about a cream color? Take a cue from the New Beetle color selection.

My personal email is through Yahoo under 'conrocas'. I'd be interested in continuing this discussion ([email protected]).

HappyDave

Anyway, if production is supposed to start in mid-May, you still have time to fix this problem.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh?

So what! The Miata sucks. It's smaller. It's girlish. It's ugly. Frankly, the Miata is for weenies.

If you have an opportunity to design a roadster from the ground floor up, you want it better than your competitors... unless you're going for mediocrity. The one to beat is BMW's Z4. The Germans know how to build a sports car. I've owned MANY, MANY German vehicles... BUT after their lack of support for US in Iraq, I decided to never buy any of their Nazi-assed products again (or French, for that matter).

The Solstice is like.... Kelly in 'Married With Children.' Pretty to look at. Fun to play with. But totally stupid and absolutely NOT practicle!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Wow, troll... you just totally ruined my day. Now I'm all flaccid.

How 'bout you just go buy a Z4?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Dave does not sound to happy; chill
beside their market is probably old guy like taking out on the weekend on back country road travelling at 50 mph and pick up bottles of wine and cheese

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like Dave's post.
If anyone from the design team, moreover the decision making, is scanning this web page, then this is what they need to hear more than people just oogling over the car. The trunk space is the biggest complaint/concern that I hear people on this site annoyed over. The engine size is another. Daves 3 prong concern over safety : color,seat roll bars, and gas tank, should be a point well taken. I cant imagin that the gas tank placement could be anything like the Pinto fiasco. Cars are much better safety designed these days than the 70's..arent they?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Agreed.. While roadsters arent meant or designed to be the most useful of vehicles, they have to, at a minimum, serve some basic utility important to the market segment being targetted.
For many of us the roadster is a 2nd or 3rd weekend funster which needs to be able to hold a few overnight bags for a weekend getaway or 2 medium sized golf bags for a golf outing.
I have 2003 Z4 and the Z4's trunk capacity (with the top down) was a major decision factor for me in my selecion process (over the Audi TT, Boxster, SLK et al). I'm seriously considering replacing the Z4 in the 2006 -07 time frame (when the 4 yr warranty on my Z4 expires) with the Saturn SKY, but if it can't hold 2 small golf bags, I'll be extending the warranty on my Z4.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that a Fireball? Nope. Solstice rear-ended!

Thank-you, Skyward et all!

While none of us expects that for $20,000 - $24,000 we're going to get a roadster that can out perform the Z4, we should all expect an American made vehicle a notch above the Miata. Frankly, I think the Sostice is absolutely beautiful BUT... IT CAN'T HAUL NUTTIN!

I started playing golf a year ago. I downsized my golf bag so my clubs could fit inside my 2000 Mustang convertible's trunk. I can't put anything else in the trunk now but at least I'm happy because I can tote my clubs whereever I go. If I go to the grocery store, I spread the bags, cartons, etc., all over the back seat. It's a pain in the butt. With the Solstice I'm already resigned to installing an exterior luggage rack on the trunk to carry my clubs. The worst part is that even without the ability to tote the clubs, I still can't carry groceries (where am I going to put the bags... the passenger's seat??).

The Pontiac design team can make changes to the car, even if it means postponing production a few months, to ENHANCE the design and utility of it by extending the trunk and increasing its volume.

Regarding my safety concerns, have you ever ridden in the back seat of a jeep and looked behind? How about the back seat of a New Beetle? It's called INSTANT DEATH SYNDROME. The distance betwen the rear bumper and the gas tank (stashed directly behind the driver and passenger) is too short. If the impact doesn't kill you, the fireball will. I'll bet the design team hasn't run a rear impact study with a tank full of gas. What will happen at 35mph? 45mph?

I hope somebody keeps a record of these posts for the ensuing litigation.

HappyDave

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
You have some good concerns in your post, but why the shots at people who do like the Sol a lot? I don't think there are many here that are satisfied with the trunk space, but we are still excited about this car.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm sure it will meet all crash standards, do you think GM has never built a car before? :rolleyes

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just have to say I like the car for what it is, it's simple in design, exquisite in appearance, and will likely be easily as roadworthy as any competitor in its class. It can't possibly be all things to all people and it's not meant to be. It was designed to be FUN not necessarily 'practical'. I'm not worried about the safety aspects, and I think I can easily enough forego the lack of trunk space. I see myself enjoying the car for it is, not what it should've been, not what it could've been.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Everyone has there own opinion on the trunk, engine, ect. ect. ect. ect. won't change my opinion though, I just want to drive. :smile

·
Registered
753 Posts
happydave said:
So, who do you expect to buy it??? The twenty or so geeky Solstice forum members that stay glued to this web site, jerk-off over its pics, and never leave their computers???
HappyDave
gee, does everybody call you happy dave, or did you make that one up yourself?
we all recognise a troll when we see one... perhaps you should spend a little less time at the computer yourself.

·
4,592 Posts
happydave said:
So what! The Miata sucks. It's smaller. It's girlish. It's ugly. Frankly, the Miata is for weenies.
We do not need this kinda mentality on this forum, it's OK to have an opinion but don't shove insults around, that's what makes other forums less than interesting! :nono

And I don't say this just cause of my hold-me-over, I don't like this mentality on any of the forums I am part of :mad

S-Man, we have a troll!!!!! That bring up a good question how do we report trolls etc to the moderator, private message, or some other way?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hey happydave... I think you bring up some valid points. But I have to disagree that there's "still time" to change things. Let's be realistic, adding 6" to the overall length of the vehicle at this point in time as you suggested is no small change... there are far too many simulations, testing, and certifications that would need to be re-done. I imagine the Solstice team is spending many sleepless nights as it is to get this thing ready for its spring/summer release.

Not to mention that adding 6" to the overall length would totally ruin its perfect proportions & stance. :jester

I'll give you that this car is not at all practical. Many people, yourself included, will not find the Sol/Sky suitable to their needs. And they'll buy more practical products from the competition. Which is entirely fine given the Sol/Sky's mission of being a low-volume car. My only concern here is that GM did enough research to ensure that it will at least hit its low sales targets consistently, year after year.

Oh, one last thing. Please don't post speculative nonsense about firey crashes and general safety issues if you have no basis for these claims. It's totally cool to voice your concerns but I think you went a little overboard with your baseless accusations.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
His comments stopped sense at "there's no room for a 6 pack" in the trunk. :crazy Dude, you want a Z4 or other high end roadster pony up 40k and go for it! And he thinks they still have time for design changes :lol, they're ready to start production. Good luck finding a "practical" roadster.

Total troll, solsticeman should lock & delete the thread.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
too bad

HappyDave- This car was made to be a small sports car that is affordable. When you see the word "SMALL" you better ot expect a large trunk or interior or what have you. So EVERYBODY! if you have a problem with how small the trunk is, or how "under-powered" this car is.. .thats too bad because pontiac wanted to develop a car for it's looks and its low-priced entry level sports car, not to hav ea big trunk! If you have issues with The Solstice or Sky, I suggest you go and leave this forum and look elsewhere possibly at the miata forum where you might be wanted. This forum is for Solstice and Sky lovers who all share the same thing- we love these two cars, and are all a family. All these people who have joined this january know NOTHING about this car. There have members of this site from late 2003! And all you people who have recently joined, seem to be running your mouths like 4 year olds. Once again, if you have a problem, talk to the GM design personnel, and bitch to them. Leave this site, because we cant change a thing on the design of this car! Although I originally joined last august ( i then forgot my password) then rejoined last november, I do realize that the size of the trunk is unporpotional to the size of the car, and is unrealistic to the publics' ideal size of what they think the size of the trunk should be, but i dont care! Ive been waiting for this car for 3 years and i cant wait to get it. People who actual join this forum have a true love for this car, and even if the size of the trunk is unrelistic, we still will buy one because we have a true love for this car.

thank you.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.