Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here.

Bought an '08 Solstice this afternoon. Seemed like a good price for a lady driven cream puff with just 26,000 miles on it.

My mechanic checked it out and said everything seemed okay but on the way home from the dealer tonight I was playing with the information button on the steering wheel and noticed the engine temp was up to 212 degrees. Since it read out at 194 when I test drove it, that 18 degree jump bothered me. I pulled out of traffic and took another route home and the temp dropped to 208 and then to 202.

Should there be this much variance in temp and what should the 'normal' reading be? I went all through the owner's manual following the rule RTOMS but could find no information.

Logged ON

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Hi. Mine is an 08 too. It is a great car. Post a picture. The coolant temperature issue has been discussed at length on the forum. Do a search with that search box in the upper left of the page and you'll see. I find it helpful to go into the forum first (General Tech, Platform), and then do the search.

I would say that 210 is not a concern. Mine runs steady at about 197 and sometimes idles as high as 210. I am pretty sure the fan kicks on around 220. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Expect a possible common water-pump failure at 30k or so. Mine went right on time at about 33k. Do a search on the forum for further reading on that issue.Check your coolant level. Do some reading about the pressurized system before you just go out there and whip the cap off. It's a great car. You made a good choice. I bought mine with 24k. I just hit 62K today. The car has never let me down. Ever.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Loggedon, if your test drive was done with the heat turned off and your drive tonight was with the heat on those numbers seem perfectly normal to me. This is a known fact about these cars. With the heat off the car will probably read in the high 180's to the high 190's, maybe the low 200's. With the heat turned on it will read somewhere between the upper 190's to the mid 210's. It has to do with the placement of the temperature sensor and the heater core. As omw41 said, search the forum and you'll find lots of threads mentioning this.

The main things to be concerned about with the coolant is if the overflow tank level drops and/or you start to smell coolant. Either can be a sign of the dreaded water pump issue. Keep an eye on that and you should be just fine. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
Welcome

Temps up to 220 are normal. Most run at high 190s to 210 depending on ambient temp, engine load, speed, and if the AC is on or the heat is on.

The temp indicates higher with the heater on because the heater valve is near the temp sensor. When it's flowing hot coolant, the temp sensor sees it.

Do NOT open the fill cap when the coolant is hot. The heater core is higher than the fill level and the cars are notorious for in jesting air. It will show high heat followed by normal heat and no heater as the air bubble migrates around the system. See heat, no heat threads and the proper way to bleed the system on the DDM site.

Consider installing the check valves that will preclude this problem

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
What the elder said.
Changed out the water pump myself but probably was just a blown thermostat gasket.
Let her rip.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Hi Loggedon….If you’re in a hot climate and you are running A/C, 212 is the higher end of normal. Your fan should kick on about 208-210 and very quickly cool your temps down. I am dyno tuned and this last summer was interesting for me in the hot weather. My fan is set to come on at 198 because of my tune and I usually stay under 200. I saw temps at 222 this last summer with the a/c running. A word of advise that many might not know here that I learned this summer. If you are running hotter, leave your car in gear while coasting, DO NOT take it out of gear. It will cool your engine quicker then taking it out of gear to coast.

Now a few checks you can do if you’re concerned. Turn you’re a/c on…you’re fan should start within a minute. If not, you might need a new fan. Once the temp went that high, did it stabilize at the lower temp? If so, this could be 1 of 3 issues. The first might be an air bubble in the cooling system. DDM Works has a video on how to properly bleed the air out. This is a VERY common issue on these cars. The second may be that you have a sticky thermostat. Just watch it and see if it does it again. The third is much more costly…..you might have a waterpump that is going. Is this a turbo car? Look for orange gel/fluid around the waterpump area. You’ll know what I mean by orange gel when you see it! How many miles on it? This is a common issue amongst Solstice/Skys. Most will need a WP around the 40-60k mark….and they aren’t cheap, about $800-$1000 because of the very specific labor instructions. Not trying to scare you by any means, just trying to help so that you can get this possible issue fixed before any type of warranty runs out. These are great little reliable fun cars!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the quick and plentiful replies.

I did use the search but I guess I used the wrong or too many terms.

Interesting on the water pump issue. The dealer I bought it from (a lady traded it on an SUV when she suddenly had a grand daughter and there was no place to seat both mother, daughter and grandma.) told me that it had been into the GM shop for service just after they took it in on trade but when I asked them to tell me what work was performed they told me they could not find a copy of the invoice.

This morning I visited the GM dealer and they kindly looked up the invoice for me and I saw that the water pump was replaced as well as the driver's side door handle. Now that I have worked my way around this site a bit I find both of these items appear to be common problems.

Again, thanks for the responses.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
My fan control module went bad.
Forty nine dolla on eBay for the Crown Victoria module.
Then I threw codes for intermittent fan which was cured by WE 40 with sillycone.
Codes gone, fan works.
Just sayin.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, I would say the problem is air in the cooling system. When my Pontiac dealer flushed and refilled my coolant I had swings from 184 to 215 (use to be a steady 198). I used the modified hand method and dropped the level in the tank by over 1/4", now I see 194-207, mostly at 198 now. Either I still have some air in the system or my thermostat needs replacing. My 2007 GXP was built 12/2006.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts

Interesting on the water pump issue. The dealer I bought it from (a lady traded it on an SUV when she suddenly had a grand daughter and there was no place to seat both mother, daughter and grandma.) told me that it had been into the GM shop for service just after they took it in on trade but when I asked them to tell me what work was performed they told me they could not find a copy of the invoice.

This morning I visited the GM dealer and they kindly looked up the invoice for me and I saw that the water pump was replaced as well as the driver's side door handle. Now that I have worked my way around this site a bit I find both of these items appear to be common problems.

Go to your GM dealer and ask them to pull and print a full maintenance record for your car. It will include lots of good information including the inservice date, the state where it was put into service and every GM maintenance or recall action performed.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts

You must be living right. You lucked out.

Welcome.

By the way, my SKY is a 2.4L. Temp normally runs 194, but once in a while it gets up to around 212.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My car runs between 180 to 190 when moving with the A/C off since the mod I did a few years ago. Setting still with the A/C off it will climb to 214, then the fan kick on and it drops.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You're fine. I've seen 180-198 for normal usage. 198~ seems to be the average for my NA '08. At 212 my fan kicks in. If you start hitting 220's then I'd start paying more attention. Highest I ever got was 245 on my way to Vegas with the A/C on and uphill. Had to juggle the A/C and temps to keep it under that but I did it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Newbie here.

Bought an '08 Solstice this afternoon. Seemed like a good price for a lady driven cream puff with just 26,000 miles on it.

My mechanic checked it out and said everything seemed okay but on the way home from the dealer tonight I was playing with the information button on the steering wheel and noticed the engine temp was up to 212 degrees. Since it read out at 194 when I test drove it, that 18 degree jump bothered me. I pulled out of traffic and took another route home and the temp dropped to 208 and then to 202.

Should there be this much variance in temp and what should the 'normal' reading be? I went all through the owner's manual following the rule RTOMS but could find no information.

Logged ON
Your fan could be going out that’s what happened when mine went out

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Hi Rick. You might want to note the date of the original post. This thread is over 6 years old and the original poster has not been on the site since 2016.

Welcome to the forum!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts