Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm refering to dealer markups, what do you all think will happen once the car hits show rooms? Does anyone know of some good dealerships that will give good deals on cars, without markups, or anyone have any connections?

We should start a section of the forum to post good and bad buying experiences with dealers and have it divided into regions of the country. This way people know where to go once they decide to buy.

I stay in VA and NC most of the time so i am willing to drive up to say 200 miles from there in order to get a decent deal and get what i want.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Come on down to Heber Springs, AR. I've already made my deal with our local guy and I doubt he would turn down additional business.

Steve

·
Registered
533 Posts
My experience with the 350Z when it first came out was that a number of dealers were marking them up but others were selling them for MSRP. Word of those holding the price down spread fast and it sounded to me like those that held to MSRP sold their allocations a lot faster (and I assume they got greater allocations for the next shipment). Nissan also did something special for the pre-order customers by making the dealers fax in a signed sales contract with the sales price prior to accepting the pre-order. This way they could see who was gouging and take measures to discourage it. The pre-orders accounted for the first six thousand or so units sold and started 8 months before the first USA delivery. Maybe GM will come up with something to help fight gouging as well. If not, we can rely on internet to pass along word of dealers who are not gouging.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I'm told that many Chevy dealers got a surprise for 2005. Nearly every Chevy dealer was trying to mark up the SSR, and quite a few were marking it up incredibly (+$10,000?!?), as a protest to GM for only allocating a truck or two per dealership.

When it came to allocating 2005 MY (which includes enhancements like the almost 400 hp 6.0L V8), GM only gave 2005 allocations to those dealers that had sold their allocations for 2003-2004 model years.

Gouging REALLY tailed off (there's even a local Chevy dealership that is selling 2004 SSR's for slightly below MSRP to move them), and supposedly (haven't seen confirmation yet, so this is rumor) sales volume of the SSR is up, and expected to pick up for 2005 model year.

Seems pretty simple: transfer sales risk to the dealers. Those that gouge to get maximum price 30 miles away from a dealer that is selling for MSRP are going to sell less vehicles. If you can't sell 'em, why should GM give you more?

They could do something like an "ordered vehicle priority", with a guarantee of maximum price of MSRP for vehicles that are ordered, with a discount on pre-orders. The "ordered vehicle priority" would be something like a requirement of dealers to give vehicle allocation priority to vehicles that are customer-ordered vs. in-stock purchases (preventing the Lotus Elise problem).

Those that are pre-ordering are buying a car sight-unseen and deserve a guaranteed price, AND a discount for their faith in GM.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am not marking up any of the Solstices. Here at Sewell we can not markup anything that is new or a hot product. I will be even be taking GMS customers if you qualify. Let me know if you want to get on the list. Also if you place an order with me now I will through in free window tint to earn your business.

Jason Feuerberg
Sewell Pontiac/GMC
Dallas, TX
214-956-3776
[email protected]

·
Registered
88 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
Glad to hear it GTOJ. Have you got many signed up yet?

By the way, I bought my Aztek at Sewell, and can vouch that you guys are nice to work with.

I have about 4 on the wait list for the Solstice. I am glad to hear you got treated right here at Sewell.

Jason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts