Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
That’s a loaded question. Do you mean wider or taller. If you are on stock wheels then you can go to a 255/40r18 without being to wide for the wheel but it is a smaller diameter. 245/50 or even 245/55 might fit on stock suspension. 255/45 might fit on stock suspension on the back but might rub on the front when turning. Now if you get a wider wheel in the back you can fit a 275/40r18 which has the same diameter as a 245/45r18. Most people just run 245/45r18 in a super sticky compound. It works great.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
As Lyon stated, are you sticking with your rims or are you getting rims? If new, then you need to know the new rim size first as a wider tire might not fit without touching the fender or the shock... I'm going through this right now. Good luck on new rims. Everything that "fits" is very trucky looking. I had to go to the manufacturers of the wheels I liked and ask them to drill them to a 5x110 pattern BEFORE they drill them to their 5x112 pattern. I've only had 3 of the 7 that I asked to do this say yes, they'd do it, but it'll cost me anywhere from an extra $25 to $100 per wheel. So this is going to play into which wheel I'm going to get as you would also need new TPMS sensors at $45/each.

Specs on our wheels:
18" x 8"
5x110 bolt pattern
+55mm offset
65.1 center bore (this can be adjusted with hubcentric adapters, but the hole must be larger on the new wheel)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I went with Eneki EKM3 for my solstice. 18-8 with 5-110 and. +40 offset. Fits great. Also on lowering springs. Could probably get away with a +30 offset. Wish the rears were 18-9 or a 10 inch rim. Need more tire in the back. Also remember most aftermarket wheels are Lug centric.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Reactions: Lyonhunter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tire Rack says to put 275/40x18 on the rear [that i like], and 245/ 45 x 18 on the front. Most of the 275s run 26.65 to 27 inches and the 245/45 x 18 run at about 27inches. So diameter is ok but i am concerned about the width

·
Super Moderator
7,357 Posts
Tire Rack says to put 275/40x18 on the rear [that i like], and 245/ 45 x 18 on the front. Most of the 275s run 26.65 to 27 inches and the 245/45 x 18 run at about 27inches. So diameter is ok but i am concerned about the width
Are you tuned to produce significantly more power than stock? What type of driving do you do? For twisty-road driving with anything close to normal power, the stock setup is ging to give you the most balanced handling.

Reactions: Sting Ya

·
Registered
96 Posts
Since you are on stock wheels 275s wont fit on the rim correctly you end up pinching the tire and making a worse contact patch. And don’t trust tire rack.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
You've had good advice. If you are a handling centric driver just stick with stock sizes and go for the best tire construction and compound available - lots of threads on that if you look.

If you are just looking for a style statement and want the largest tires you can get on there (the 'Hot Wheels' look), I suggest that you go to a large tire store with a lot of throughput and ask to hunt through their tire pile of take-offs. Find something in a size you want to try and have them fit the old tire to a wheel on your car and see how well it fits. But be aware that two different makes of tire that are identical size may be slightly different, sometimes enough for one to run while the other doesn't. It will cost you a little for the trial fitment of a tire or two but it should ensure that what you end up buying will work for you - and if you buy the tires from the shop that let you trial fit their take-offs they may well not charge you for that part at all.

I have seen a few people that saw someone (probably on a board like this) claim that a specific tire was the greatest, go out and buy a set and have them fitted, only to find that they rubbed in corners and such. And no refunds on an expensive but unusable set of tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts