Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first post after joining the group. Like everyone else I am supposedly "on the list". I've got my deposit down at a dealer, and am impatiently waiting.

My first question is, why, is the windscreen blocker not standard? Even the Pontiac brochures advise buying an aftermarket windscreen. How much would it cost the factory to just stick one in as standard equipment. This just seems kind of cheap of GM to me, and kind of makes me start to wonder what else they have left out.

As a retirment gift to myself, I am buying either a Mazda MX-5, or the Solstice. It just depends on how long it takes to get my order from Pontiac. It seems the company should be running 24/7 to get as many of these cars on the road as they can while the Solstice fever is hot.

Thanks
Jack

·
5,600 Posts
Some reviews say that wind buffeting is minimal due to the high beltline and rear humps. Some reviews say that the wind buffeting is moderate. GM offers an accessory windblocker so it is unlikely that it is not needed at all. Maybe the folks who own Solsti will chime in with their opinions on the need for an optional rear wind deflector behind the seats.

IMHO, they look awful but if truly needed, I may end up with one but only if the buffeting is extreme or annoying. I can tolerate a bit of back-draft more easily than I can tolerate the rear wind screen.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Jack_46234 said:
Hello, this is my first post after joining the group. Like everyone else I am supposedly "on the list". I've got my deposit down at a dealer, and am impatiently waiting.

My first question is, why, is the windscreen blocker not standard? Even the Pontiac brochures advise buying an aftermarket windscreen. How much would it cost the factory to just stick one in as standard equipment. This just seems kind of cheap of GM to me, and kind of makes me start to wonder what else they have left out.

As a retirment gift to myself, I am buying either a Mazda MX-5, or the Solstice. It just depends on how long it takes to get my order from Pontiac. It seems the company should be running 24/7 to get as many of these cars on the road as they can while the Solstice fever is hot.

if you want a car now...you only chance is the MX-5....we eagerly awaiting our solstice...after comparing them both...the solstice wins hands down in our book..for looks styling....ergonomics...and just all around fun to drive....the MX-5 has a slight edge in performance..but that wasnt even a consideration with us....

the problem is MX-5s are on dealer lots now....Solstice...if you order...lucky to see it mid to late next year is my guess now...

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Oh! Oh!

"If you can find a better car, buy it!" ;) (inside joke)

OK, seriously, to keep the target base price at 20 grand they may have "cheaped out" here and there. I don't think the exclusion of the wind buffer is one of those places, but that is just my opinion. Have you seen the one they offer? IMHO it is unattractive to say the least, and I'm glad I won't have to remove it from my car. If I feel like my car needs one, I'll go to the aftermarket, or fabricate my own (maybe even fabricate several custom ones to make a few bucks on the side). I know I can come up with something better-looking than the GM offering.

For my money I see the Sol as a better bargain than the Miata. To each their own. Congratulations on the retirememt, Jack.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've read it is several magazines, (Road & Track and Car and Driver), I'll have to go back and find the specific issues, but the main one that surprised me is in the Sol brochure I got from my dealer, ( the thick black one that just says SOLSTICE on the front cover and is 20 pages thick, not counting the front and back "fold-out" covers).
On the left side of page 6 it says, and I quote, "consider the windscreen accessory a worthy aftermarket personalization, but hardly a necessity".
It may not be needed, and I agree with other posts that it is very ugly, but it just surprised me to see an aftermarket item suggested in a factory brochure.
Thanks for the reply
Jack
Indianapolis, In

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies

I agree with all of them. That's why I don't have the MX-5 in my driveway right now. On styling, the Sol wins hands down, not even a contest. Man, it looks so good.
I'm like a little kid, I want mine, and I want it now :willy:
Thanks
Jack

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I've got over 2200 miles on my Solstice so far with the majority of the miles topless. I don't think there really is a need for the windscreen. I've had my car cruising at 75 and I didn't notice any difference than when I've been driving at 55. IMHO the windscreen is more of a trinket or personal style choice than a necessity.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Jack_46234 said:
...but it just surprised me to see an aftermarket item suggested in a factory brochure.
Thanks for the reply
Jack
Indianapolis, In
I'd imagine that GM knows how ugly it is. The chances are that they NEVER planned to make one and it was a last minute decision. Being that they needed to make a lot in a small amount of time, they probably picked what ever was fastest to make out of all their concepts. I can understand that. At least they're being honest with you up front about going aftermarket.

IMHO, I feel that GM is doing the Sol right in this case. GM screws up a lot of things and I've still only owned Pontiac. But with the new plan to go aftermarket on the Sol, it's possible GM is going promote the crap out of aftermarket accessories. That also might be in their aftermarket contract. None-the-less, it might be the smartest thing GM has done since the time they had Dolorean design Pontiac's future. After all, wider is better. ;)

I wont buy GM's windscreen. I'll buy aftermarket; and you can bet that Gravana's going to make one that looks good. :)

·
Premium Member
9,965 Posts
hyzer said:
That one is perfect-if it works!! I have a roll of shade screen, wish I had my car to play with creating that-wouldn't be too tough-since there is velcro inside the clam shell for the top, but without a car to measure up, I'll have to wait a while. Figure shade screen, in black, and possible use a fiberglass rod for top rigidity-lightweight, and easily stashed in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The buffeting is definately there, but it's not that bad. It's easy to talk to your passenger so it's not a wind blasting in your ear. It will mess up your hair. Put your papers on the floor and they're OK. It seems to me that buying a convertable and then complaining about buffeting and your hair getting messed up is kind of like moving next to an airport and then complain about airplane noise IMO. I won't be getting GM's offering. I doubt I'll get one at all.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
hyzer said:
Looks really nice! Don't know if it would be all that funtional, but maybe. Good job. You can't really put it where you have shown it though. The deck lid fits really tight to the silver band (I forget what you guys are calling that thing) You would have to attach it in front of the silver band and behind the seats.

·
Registered
218 Posts
AeroDave said:
Looks really nice! Don't know if it would be all that funtional, but maybe. Good job. You can't really put it where you have shown it though. The deck lid fits really tight to the silver band (I forget what you guys are calling that thing) You would have to attach it in front of the silver band and behind the seats.
Not sure who posted that a while back, but it looks a heck of a lot better than the GM version. I could live with it if it did prove doable.

·
Registered
120 Posts
wind screen

If your significant other has a nice hairdo then the wind screen is a must. I put one on my Z3 and cut down the rear wind swirl about 50%. Now there are no complaints about the top down and my new hairdo. every one gets what they want

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The belt line IS so high, that even that small phototype windscreen may be just effective enough. Possibly 25-50% wind reduction.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
AeroDave said:
It seems to me that buying a convertable and then complaining about buffeting and your hair getting messed up is kind of like moving next to an airport and then complain about airplane noise IMO. I won't be getting GM's offering. I doubt I'll get one at all.
:agree: Yes! Yes! Yes! What he said!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Editguy said:
:agree: Yes! Yes! Yes! What he said!
I have to agree with Editguy and AeroDave...it's part of the "experience". BigJon has a point about one's significant other though and it's something to consider, but ninety-eight percent of my driving time will probably be spent, solo. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
9,965 Posts
Chance said:
I have to agree with Editguy and AeroDave...it's part of the "experience". BigJon has a point about one's significant other though and it's something to consider, but ninety-eight percent of my driving time will probably be spent, solo. :crazy:
Me too-but since I'm not hair challenged, and I don't want to show up everywhere looking like a punk rocker, abating some of the wind is worth
consideration. Plus I envision a 6000 mile round trip in the spring, and that top will be down as much as possible!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts