Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing a thread about poor quality paint on a couple of the test Sols, I looked around a bit and found another thread from months ago that seemed to indicate that a lot of GM cars have a problem with an orange peel look. I also remember noticing it on one of the cars sitting on the dealer's lot. If anybody happens to see any new Sols at the factory or on the road, try and notice if it's still a problem. I'm guessing it's not as noticable on the metallic colors because you don't have the mirror finish. I was hoping the bad paint was just a result of a rushed job on the test mules, but it seems GM may have some bigger problems. It really kind of makes me sick to think we might end up getting a crappy paint job like the one I saw on the lot. Here are the threads I mentioned ...

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3248

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789

·
Registered
91 Posts
SlySol said:
I'm guessing it's not as noticable on the metallic colors because you don't have the mirror finish.
Right now my order is for Cool/Silver, but I had come to the decision to change my order to Mysterious/Black. Black is not one of the metallic colors, is it? So my paint is more likely to suffer from 'orange peel' if I switch to black?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
It'll be there either way if it's gonna be there. However, he's saying that on metallic colors it's less noticeable because the sparkle of the flecks in the paint help distract the attention away from the bumpiness—which is true. Solid colors like red and black will show it more because they do not have the flecks to help distort the surface bumps.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Bad paint not so bad

That's ok with me if the paint comes through bad - my red solstice will become a burnt orange metallic solstice courtesy of my dealer. :cool: :lol:

·
Registered
533 Posts
From what I've observed, silver hides orange peel better than most other colors, however I wouldn't use this as a major factor in my choice of color.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
brian carpenter said:
That's ok with me if the paint comes through bad - my red solstice will become a burnt orange metallic solstice courtesy of my dealer. :cool: :lol:
Sorry Brian, but I think you're nuts. No dealership paint job is going to hold up like a factory job, orange peal or no orange peal. No human hand can paint an entire car as well as the robots do for constitancy, complete coverage, and overall quality. Unless you're going to take it to a really high end custom shop, pay an arm and a leg to take the car totally apart to do it right, you might as well take it to Maco or Earl Scheibe. Seriously, why buy a brand new $25,000 car only to have it repainted right away? Why not get a more expensive car and not worry about it? The new Mercedes is pretty sweet looking. Or buy an older used car and have it re-painted? Or better yet, wait until next year when the Solstice might be available in bright yellow!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just about all GM cars have orange peel. I look at wrecked cars all day long and I can say unless you get a higher end car, then you will more then likely have some sort of orange peel.
It comes from the paint process. How it is applied. You can get rid of it but you need to color sand and buff the car. Sometimes if you apply the paint a certain way it will come out smooth as glass.

It's really not that bad as long as the whole car has it. If you paint lets say a door and you don't get the peel the same consistancy and the fender has factory orange peel, wow what a difference.

Take a look at your current car in the driveway. I'll bet it has some. My Chevy Truck is real bad!

·
Registered
905 Posts
My Sunfire's nearly 8 years old and no paint peel :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
without the ability to see a modestly large number of production cars, that have been prepped for delivery, its hard to know if this is going to be a problem.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Craigar said:
Take a look at your current car in the driveway. I'll bet it has some. My Chevy Truck is real bad!
If that's true, my "give GM a chance" philosophy may not last as long as I thought. I've never had a bad experience with orange peel on the factory paint any of my cars, but as I've said previously, none have been GM cars. The Solstice pretty much convinced me to give them a chance to earn my business and I'm rather excited about it ... but if they can't keep up with the competition when it comes to a decent paint job, I'm not impressed. Customers shouldn't be responsible for fixing problems with a new car. I don't want to have somebody sanding out the imperfections in my brand new paint. It's ruined if they take it a bit too far and can potentially leave scratches if it's not done perfectly. If something like that needs to be done, it should be done before the car ever passes Q.C. Or maybe they need to consider baking the paint to even out the surface, like some body shops do. But if it's a problem, they need to come up with a solution.

Yes, I realize that a slight amount of texture is to be expected on cheaper cars these days, but the paint job I saw on the new GM car was apalling compared to any of the imports I've seen lately. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions or bad imports out there, but I certainly get the idea GM has more than their fair share of the problem. I'll keep an open mind for now and hopefully they prove me wrong.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If I were to call my dealer, would he have the information on what kind of paint job I should be expecting on the Solstice?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a 1999 VW Passat made in Germany(German Technology) and it was the worst paint job I have ever seen. I had the car for 5 years and it was in the shop at least 15 times due to paint issues. I even had a 1981 Chevrolet Chevette and it had no paint issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
heismybooty said:
If I were to call my dealer, would he have the information on what kind of paint job I should be expecting on the Solstice?
That's like asking your server when you eat out if the food is good. Do you really think she'll say it sucks?

·
Registered
100 Posts
cuzsolstice said:
That's like asking your server when you eat out if the food is good. Do you really think she'll say it sucks?
I guess you are right, it is not the type of paint, but the quality of the job?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Paint

Has anyone seen bad paint on display cars.They do not change paint jobs from car to car.Just polish your car alot you will love the paint.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
SCSOLSTICE said:
Has anyone seen bad paint on display cars.They do not change paint jobs from car to car.Just polish your car alot you will love the paint.
No issues on the show cars and nothing major reported on the captured test cars?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've observed that the amount of orange peel can vary from car to car painted in the same plant. This was the case with my 350Z. If you are concerned about an excessive amount of peel on your particular vehicle, inspect it carefully before taking delivery. I didn't notice how bad the condition was on my car when I picked it up because the sun was shining so brightly that the reflections hid the defects. As soon as I saw the car in less intense light, I immediately noticed how bad the paint job was. I did get an offer for reimbursement if I had the car buffed or wetsanded. The issue with doing that is you loose some of the clear coat in the process.

Here's hoping that Pontiac does a good job for you all.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SCSOLSTICE said:
Yep ... one thread mentions that orange peel was seen on a truckload of test cars. (Though the OP didn't quite undertand exactly what orange peel is, the person reporting it seemed to.) And I believe Solli4me confirmed seeing it on the showcar she saw. Polishing won't get rid of orange peel. It would have to be sanded down and buffed out. And you take the risk of having the paint screwed up permanently if it's not done right or if the clear coat isn't thick enough all over. Not something anybody should have to worry about with a new car. Here's one of the threads discussing the orange peel sightings ...

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3248

1 - 20 of 31 Posts