Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered many times over in past threads because I've read them. The problem is that I can't seem to find them now, and when I read them I wasn't giving it my full attention.

Here's the deal. Our dealer called us last night and said he's putting in our order Tuesday 8/9. We were 3rd on his list in the 1st 4 Month Allocation, but the #2 guy dropped out so we got bumped up to 2nd!!!

My question is, when should I expect the order to be "picked up" by GM? Will it be next Thursday, or could it be weeks or even months?

Thanks for your help, and again, sorry for the outdated question.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Bonzo said:
I know this has been covered many times over in past threads because I've read them. The problem is that I can't seem to find them now, and when I read them I wasn't giving it my full attention.

Here's the deal. Our dealer called us last night and said he's putting in our order Tuesday 8/9. We were 3rd on his list in the 1st 4 Month Allocation, but the #2 guy dropped out so we got bumped up to 2nd!!!

My question is, when should I expect the order to be "picked up" by GM? Will it be next Thursday, or could it be weeks or even months?

Only GM and GOD can tell you.I have waited 3 and a half months and Im on the top of the list. It toke 2 months before GM picked up my order.
ZERO ZIPPER

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
One thing that might help is to ask the status of the guy in front of you (order #1), because it is very unlikely that you'll be picked up before number #1 is picked up. Once #1 is picked up, you shouldn't have much longer to wait. (Do you know how many cars you dealer has for his first four month allocation?)

As a side question, did the dealer explain why he isn't putting your order in until Tuesday the 9th? From what I can tell, orders can be put into the system at any time, and are "picked up" by GM on a weekly basis based on a fixed schedule. I don't remember the exact steps, but I think it goes something like: pulled from the dealer's computers on Thursday, goes through some sort of processing by GM for a few days, with updated status reported back to the dealer Tuesday. This gives the dealer two days to make any changes before the cycle starts again on Thursday.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andrew Jackson said:
Only GM and GOD can tell you.I have waited 3 and a half months and Im on the top of the list. It toke 2 months before GM picked up my order.
ZERO ZIPPER
Hopefully that's because you were a zero zipper. I'm thinking once that's over it should become more regular. Sorry, I feel for you. We missed the first 1000 too and couldn't make it to our dealer until Saturday that first week. My wife has had this car as her screen saver since the Detroit Autoshow (in 2002?) so she has been waiting just as long as anyone.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dengel said:
One thing that might help is to ask the status of the guy in front of you (order #1), because it is very unlikely that you'll be picked up before number #1 is picked up. Once #1 is picked up, you shouldn't have much longer to wait. (Do you know how many cars you dealer has for his first four month allocation?)

As a side question, did the dealer explain why he isn't putting your order in until Tuesday the 9th? From what I can tell, orders can be put into the system at any time, and are "picked up" by GM on a weekly basis based on a fixed schedule. I don't remember the exact steps, but I think it goes something like: pulled from the dealer's computers on Thursday, goes through some sort of processing by GM for a few days, with updated status reported back to the dealer Tuesday. This gives the dealer two days to make any changes before the cycle starts again on Thursday.
Good plan, regarding order #1, that is a good question to ask. Thanks.

Our dealer has told us from day 1 back in April that they place orders on Tuesday. Maybe it's a dealership specific thing? Or maybe my dealer thinks it's less confusing to say he's placing the order on Tuesday when it really means he's placed the order Thursday and is checking to see if it got "picked up" on Tuesday? That's the way it happens on most normal orders, like say on a G6, from what I have been told. So he can call you on Wednesday and just say "your order went through" (or not). To most people that would make the whole thing a lot less "convaluted."

In regards to a dealer putting the order in at any time, I don't think this is the case. I think even Small Dealer said last week that only the first round of 4 Month Allocations was accepted so far by GM. My dealer told us he placed his first order (by the way, he has 5 cars in the 1st 4 Month Allo) on July 19th. From the way I interpret it, dealers were told their allocation, then they have to wait until GM tells them when they can start filling it, one by one (or 2 out of 8 or so on, depending on the total 4 month allocation). Only then can an order actually be placed, and then you have to wait for it to be picked up.

Either I am stupid (along with the vast majority of the rest of the world), or GM has the most confusing ordering system in the world.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...who knows

Bonzo said:
Good plan, regarding order #1, that is a good question to ask. Thanks.

Our dealer has told us from day 1 back in April that they place orders on Tuesday. Maybe it's a dealership specific thing? Or maybe my dealer thinks it's less confusing to say he's placing the order on Tuesday when it really means he's placed the order Thursday and is checking to see if it got "picked up" on Tuesday? That's the way it happens on most normal orders, like say on a G6, from what I have been told. So he can call you on Wednesday and just say "your order went through" (or not). To most people that would make the whole thing a lot less "convaluted."

In regards to a dealer putting the order in at any time, I don't think this is the case. I think even Small Dealer said last week that only the first round of 4 Month Allocations was accepted so far by GM. My dealer told us he placed his first order (by the way, he has 5 cars in the 1st 4 Month Allo) on July 19th. From the way I interpret it, dealers were told their allocation, then they have to wait until GM tells them when they can start filling it, one by one (or 2 out of 8 or so on, depending on the total 4 month allocation). Only then can an order actually be placed, and then you have to wait for it to be picked up.

Either I am stupid (along with the vast majority of the rest of the world), or GM has the most confusing ordering system in the world.
I was told I was 2d and that my order was picked up by GM, weeks ago, but was told a couple days ago that delivery is estimated in October. None of it matters until I am in the car driving home.
:cool:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Bonzo said:

I think the misunderstanding once again comes from two different interpretations of the same wording.

To me, having the dealer "place" an order means him entering it into his computer and assigning a VOMS number. Dealers were able to do this shortly after April 15th, starting with their EOP orders and then proceeding to any First Four Month Allocation Orders they received. My dealer did this for me some time around the end of April, and I have had a VOMS # since back then. (Since then I have always considered my order "placed".) This is also the system where your dealer can assign a priority to your order (i.e. in what order GM should sequence the orders.)

From April til "whenever", these orders sit in the dealer's order bank, waiting for GM to come in and "pick-up" the orders, based on GM's production schedule and the order priority the dealer has placed on the orders in the order bank (taking into account any production constraints placed by GM).

Perhaps your dealer does not consider an order "placed" until it is actually picked up out of his order bank by GM. Hence the different interpretation of the words "placed order".

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dengel said:
I think the misunderstanding once again comes from two different interpretations of the same wording.

To me, having the dealer "place" an order means him entering it into his computer and assigning a VOMS number. Dealers were able to do this shortly after April 15th, starting with their EOP orders and then proceeding to any First Four Month Allocation Orders they received. My dealer did this for me some time around the end of April, and I have had a VOMS # since back then. (Since then I have always considered my order "placed".) This is also the system where your dealer can assign a priority to your order (i.e. in what order GM should sequence the orders.)

From April til "whenever", these orders sit in the dealer's order bank, waiting for GM to come in and "pick-up" the orders, based on GM's production schedule and the order priority the dealer has placed on the orders in the order bank (taking into account any production constraints placed by GM).

Perhaps your dealer does not consider an order "placed" until it is actually picked up out of his order bank by GM. Hence the different interpretation of the words "placed order".
That might be it, because he definitely put us in the system. He checked options etc and printed out the sheet. I don't think we got a copy of it though. And I think your last paragraph makes perfect sense, but it leads to another question. Is it possible for a dealer to know this week that next Tuesday the order WILL be picked up?

·
5,641 Posts
Bonzo said:
Is it possible for a dealer to know this week that next Tuesday the order WILL be picked up?

Yes. On Thursday the first day of the dealer order cycle, the dealer has access to three reports. The dealer's allocation (if any) for this cycle, constrained options and features, and the dealer's allocation of constrained options and features.

So a dealer will know the minimum number of cars on Thursday that they will receive for that dealer order cycle allocation. Now they can request more cars, and if GM has extra or if dealers do not take all they were allocated, they may get these extra requests. This isn't going to happen for Solstice, I would think.

The dealer has until 6pm on Saturday to line up their orders and priorities. That is, in my mind, when then car is "picked up". The system works on things Sunday and Monday.

On Tuesday, dealers see the results or the allocation. See actually what they did or didn't get. They also have the ability to make changes, within constraints, during the day on Tuesday. After that things are locked in.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome! So if all goes right the order is being picked up on 8/9.

Thanks Small Dealer --- Nice doing business with you.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Are they weekly cycles? If so, I would know today if GM will pick up a solstice from my dealer this Sunday/Monday. Am I correct?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Bonzo said:

My order was picked up by GM over two months ago, still haven't heard anything.

Zerro/zipper from ct.

·
5,641 Posts
todd_raleigh said:
Are they weekly cycles? If so, I would know today if GM will pick up a solstice from my dealer this Sunday/Monday. Am I correct?
I would think so.

The dealer will know if they are getting allocation, if they are getting any of the Premium Package (as promised by Pontiac, it is at 75% availability), and where your order stands in their priority list (think you are still their #1 right?).

·
5,641 Posts
deluke said:
My order was picked up by GM over two months ago, still haven't heard anything.

Zerro/zipper from ct.
Not much to happen for them.

Until the 1000 First 1000 Exclusive Retail Order Sosltices are built, then the Free Maintenance car are built, there is nothing for the Zero Zippers. They do have hidden target production weeks, but just need to put in their waiting time.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Small Dealer said:
I would think so.

The dealer will know if they are getting allocation, if they are getting any of the Premium Package (as promised by Pontiac, it is at 75% availability), and where your order stands in their priority list (think you are still their #1 right?).
Yes, I am! I need to call them now. This is soooo coool....I'll see 20 Solstices tomorrow in Detroit and I will be able to see with my own eye's what color I really want!!!!! Thanks for all your answers over the past several months! We really appreciate it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Allocations

SD, if a dealer received an allocation and the # 1 in line wanted leather but this allocation had a premium constraint on it, what happens to that allocation? Does the dealer go to others who have placed orders that have cloth or does that allocation lie dormant until leather is available?

·
5,641 Posts
Keith said:
SD, if a dealer received an allocation and the # 1 in line wanted leather but this allocation had a premium constraint on it, what happens to that allocation? Does the dealer go to others who have placed orders that have cloth or does that allocation lie dormant until leather is available?
In the case of the Solstice, I do not think a dealer would pass on an allocation if they did not have a sold buildable order. A dealer could look down there list and take the first non-Premium Package order they have and use it to fill the allocation. Or they could just order a car for inventory. This would leave their sold order list in the same order.

There is one little drawback to taking an order for inventory. It counts against your future allocation calculations til it is built, shipped, arrives, is sold, and finally reported delivered. I don't think this would keep a dealer from taking one for inventory in the Solstice case.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Keith, I seriously mean what I'm saying here. I think the leather constraint was a planned scheme to give dealers the opportunity to purchase a car for their show room.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had a document direct from Pontiac that my dealer provided me. It listed my 10 digit id number (from the apprentice) Stated the date and exact time I was added to wait list. My dealer wrote the order # on said document which is a combo of six letters and numbers.....combine this with a signed sales contract....it's all good ....patience my fellow forum members

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dealer Inventory

Todd I hope you enjoy your Detroit trip. You are probably on the road by now. The way I see it, if the dealer takes an allocation for his inventory it puts everyone else in line about 2-3 months later in getting their cars. A dealer with 4 cars in their four month allocation would average about 1 per month but with the current rate the line is running I believe it would probably be 2-3 months for next allocation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts