Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a dumb question, but I think I'm going to place an order today for a Solstice at my local Pontiac dealership. Before I go in, I want to be armed with all the correct information (I tend to believe more of what I hear here than at dealers)...

What kinds of questions should I ask? What should I be leery of?

I'm assuming I'm going to be put on the waiting list since 10,000 have already been ordered, right? What should I be expecting in terms of a wait time - next March/April? Longer? Sooner?

What should I be asking folks??

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is not much to ask except what colors does the Solstice offer. There is so much excitement about these cars, the dealer is in the drivers seat. You will be paying list price or more. Don't plan on dickering. Just pick the color and order it. You aren't going to be disappointed.

B

·
0 Posts
If any dealers are accepting orders, you probably would be looking at around March or so of next year.

See if you can put a minimal deposit down ($500), and also have your deposit fully refundable if when the car gets there, you just do not like the way it feels, drives, etc.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Start out by asking him:
1.Has he sold all of his first quarters allocation? If he hasn't, you'll might get one before New Years.
2,How many was he allotted? Anywhere from none to 10. If none, leave.
3.What position you'll be on his waiting list? Can he put that in writing?
4.Is he selling it at MSRP with no "because we can" mark up? If he isn't, leave.
5.What kind of deposit does he want? From zero to $2000 but $500 and $1000 are normal.
There are no real hold ups in production other than just starting up a new assembly line. If he says it gonna take so long to get your car because of quality issues, leather or wheel suppliers, know that he's talking about issues that were resolved a month or two ago. The true reason is that there are 10,000 people waiting and they just started last week making about 100 per day.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Questions? Ask for the Truth......Can you handle the truth?

Just make sure you get the price in writing. Everything else will fall into place (the wait is the wait is the wait......). You should see your car in March 06. Wouldn't hurt to find out how many pre-orders, but is the dealer really going to give you accurate info? Who knows. Shouldn't have to drop down more than 500 clams as a deposit....... :leaving:

·
Registered
576 Posts
DreamerDave said:
Start out by asking him:
1.Has he sold all of his first quarters allocation? If he hasn't, you'll might get one before New Years.
4.Is he selling it at MSRP with no "because we can" mark up? If he isn't, leave.
5.What kind of deposit does he want? From zero to $2000 but $500 and $1000 are normal.
There are no real hold ups in production other than just starting up a new assembly line. If he says it gonna take so long to get your car because of quality issues, leather or wheel suppliers, know that he's talking about issues that were resolved a month or two ago. The true reason is that there are 10,000 people waiting and they just started last week making about 100 per day.
:agree: This should be posted for all newcomers to see! The worst thing is to order a car and find out that you are 55th on an allocation of 4. People need to understand that when ordering a car, you need to understand the probabilities of ever recieving the car. A number of dealers are taking orders for cars they never expect to recieve.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
SolLate said:
:agree: This should be posted for all newcomers to see! The worst thing is to order a car and find out that you are 55th on an allocation of 4. People need to understand that when ordering a car, you need to understand the probabilities of ever recieving the car. A number of dealers are taking orders for cars they never expect to recieve.
I'll add Dave's questions to the sales FAQ, thanks!

·
2,574 Posts
SolLate said:
It's still well worth someones time to shop around. Not just for size of d.p. and MSRP which are both critically important but your right different availability from dealer to dealer depending on allocation. Still not huge action at one small place near me but they would still like to restrict sales to this region so it doesn't appear that they can't generate business locally. Worth looking around still imo.

·
Registered
124 Posts
birdliver said:
It's still well worth someones time to shop around. Not just for size of d.p. and MSRP which are both critically important but your right different availability from dealer to dealer depending on allocation. Still not huge action at one small place near me but they would still like to restrict sales to this region so it doesn't appear that they can't generate business locally. Worth looking around still imo.
I agree with looking around. I visited 3 dealerships. One was a place where a bunch of old guys who were more interested in selling Cadilacs. They bearly ave me the time of day!
The other was a huge dealership at the beach. THey were excited about the Solstice (people came out of the back rooms to join in the conversation) but weren't taking orders, even when I asked. ( they also have the reputation of charging a premium) .
The third dealership was a branch of a dealership chain in a less popular, more rural area. I got one of their allocations at MRSP. It pays to shop.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DreamerDave said:
Start out by asking him:
Thanks to all for the help!! :)

I ordered mine. Didn't ask how many he was allocated, but I did order from the 2nd largest GM/Buick/Pontiac dealer in the nation (Andy Mohr)...they have TONS and I mean TONS of cars and so I'm not too worried whether or not they'll have them. Plus, I really don't want mine before Feb/March anyway. No sense having it sitting in the garage during Dec/Jan/Feb when I can't drive it anyway.

I am like #20 or so from this dealer. I don't know whether or not that means I'll get it by March, but that's what I was told. I put $500 down. Fully refundable if I back out - I don't plan on it, but it's nice to know.

Anyway, again, thanks for your help. I hope to have mine by March!!

·
2,574 Posts
Eastocean said:
I agree with looking around. I visited 3 dealerships. One was a place where a bunch of old guys who were more interested in selling Cadilacs. They bearly ave me the time of day!
The other was a huge dealership at the beach. THey were excited about the Solstice (people came out of the back rooms to join in the conversation) but weren't taking orders, even when I asked. ( they also have the reputation of charging a premium) .
The third dealership was a branch of a dealership chain in a less popular, more rural area. I got one of their allocations at MRSP. It pays to shop.
Just what I'm talkin about. I had a similar experience. I think you can still have some success if you're dilligent.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, just FYI - got mine at MRSP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure how much I should be second guessing my dealer. Their inventory manager says he doesn't have a quarter allocation; once a week Pontiac tells him how many more he can have. So far it seems to be about 1 every two weeks. I am number 3 on their list so they are anticipating submitting the order around 22 September. They seem to think that I will have car well before the end of the year. My sales guy is going for "Solstice Training" next week, so maybe they will learn more about expected lead time then.

·
2,574 Posts
Dr Hammerslag said:
I'm not sure how much I should be second guessing my dealer. Their inventory manager says he doesn't have a quarter allocation; once a week Pontiac tells him how many more he can have. So far it seems to be about 1 every two weeks. I am number 3 on their list so they are anticipating submitting the order around 22 September. They seem to think that I will have car well before the end of the year. My sales guy is going for "Solstice Training" next week, so maybe they will learn more about expected lead time then.

Hey Doc, take a look at Sales, Ordering and Allocation FAQ's you'll find a world of info there and in similar spots. Might be better info than the dealer sometimes provides. They tell you some things then you leave and think of a million questions you wished you had asked. There's a lot here to help get you up to speed if you want. Don't wait several months and learn that you should have had a more formal, binding purchase agreement. Just a suggestion based on what they seem to be telling you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts